• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kate205gti

One Man Bleed Kits

kate205gti

do these work?? Ive just used one on mine but you cant see the pipe and press the pedal :) so i just pressed it a few times on each caliper and kept topping it up with fluid - is that enough? never used one before! (usually have a pedal pusher on hand :))

Baz

They do work yes, the proper one man kits refill the reservoir if they need to, as and when more fluid is passed through the lines out of the caliper, it sucks more fluid into the reservoir. :)

kate205gti

its a square box with a hose coming off it B) ooh i found this http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/maintenance/bleed...ding_brakes.htm

Step 7

Undo the bleed nipple and pump the brake pedal until no air bubbles are seen in the tube.

so how the feck are you supposed to see if no air bubbles are in the tube if youre pumping the brakes and the pots under the car attached to the rear or nearside caliper?! :) :)

Edited by kate205gti

Alastairh

Id get a second person to pump the pedal to confirm.

Brakes are kinda important :lol:

James_R

yeah that's really a 2 man job, the one man proper jobs pressurise the MC so you just undo the bleed nipple and no peddle pressing needed, and as baz says refills the MC at the same time, keep meaning to get one, saves loads of time doing a full fluid flush.

kate205gti

how does it fill the MC thou? (its not the one with the tyre its just a square white box :() am i supposed to fill the white box full of fluid? :huh:

im skiving off work and all bods are absent :( i used charlie yesterday but mullered a bleed nipple and went to the pub in a sulk :lol: got it out after she'd gone :(

need a lift down there to get it this evening so might rope mum into pressing pedal i guess! :P

d-9

That sort of one man bleed kit has a non-return valve in the white pot to stop the fluid sucking back into the brake system when u pump it. So....

Fill resivoir

Put the pipe that goes into the white box onto the bleed nipple, make sure it is clipped on using the clip thats on the end of rubber pipe.

Crack open the nipple

Pump the pedal a few times

Get out, look at the pipe, if its still got lots of bubbles in, go and pump some more.

Once uve got rid of all the bubbles, move on to the next wheel, remembering to top up the resivoir.

Is kinda like normal brake bleeding..but with more walking around :lol: Those kits do work ok, but the ones that use a tyre are lots easier!

kate205gti

thats what i did - only it a white pipe and you cant see bubbles in it unless you watching it squirt out! :huh:

i had one with the tyre which worked lovely but someone chopped the air pipe off :lol:

Edited by kate205gti

d-9

Ahh it *should* be a clear pipe, but they seem to react to brake fluid and go millky white after theyve been sat around for a while :huh:

Could you bodge the pipe back onto the pressure bleeder? :lol:

James_R

Go buy a new one £3 from halfords for the pipe and valve bit, then hold it in a loop from the nipple up then down to the pot it drains in to, then any air will get trapped in the top of the loop easy to see,

Undo nipple pump 7-8 times, inspect top up res, repeat till no air is there and nip up the nipple, done.

kate205gti

that might be a plan - i guess brakes are quite important!! lol

Alastairh
Ahh it *should* be a clear pipe, but they seem to react to brake fluid and go millky white after theyve been sat around for a while :huh:

Could you bodge the pipe back onto the pressure bleeder? :lol:

Yeah, as doug said it should be clear. They're only a few quid on trade anyway.

When i bleed brakes, with the pedal down, open the nipple 3/4 a turn, but when realising the pedal, close the nipple to reduce sucking the fluid back up.

kate205gti

i cant do pedals and nipples at the same time :lol:

Alastairh

I thought you women are suppose to be multi taskers.

Get your mum/nan/lover/cousin/neighbour/cat/petrol station attendant, to help you then and quit your winge :lol:

Super Josh

I find the ones that use tyre pressure to be utter s*ite. They flow enough to put lots of fluid through the pipe, but I find you need a few hard stamps on the pedal to shift those final air bubbles that are stuck fast to the pipe wall, so I usually get an assistant to pump up the pressure and then release the nipple and the bubbles shoot out :lol: . So the upshot of it is that you end up with a slightly soft pedal using this type of bleeder.

Josh

GLPoomobile
So the upshot of it is that you end up with a slightly soft pedal using this type of bleeder.

Josh

I've only bled my brakes once before, after re-filling the entire system, and it was with one of these one-man jobs that Kate has.

I spent at least 2 hours and a ridiculous amount of fluid (had to nip up the road and buy more) because I couldn't get rid of the soft pedal feel so was convinced I still had air in the system. Eventually I conceded, called a mate with more experience than me and we came to the conclusion that for whatever reason this thing was not doing the job properly.

So I ended up driving down to his place for help, and 10 minutes after arrival we had bled the brakes the old fasioned way and they were fine.

Don;t think I'll bother with one of these in future :lol:

Baz

They're alright as a 'get you out' but i prefer the old fashioned way really! :lol:

M_R_205

The way i do it is pump the pedal till theres a good half cup full of fluid been pumped into the container, it usualy takes 10-15 pumps on the pedal, do all 4 working from the furthest calliper to the marster cylinder to the closest

C_W

I've never seen a one woman bleed kit so that's why you're struggling I think :lol:

I always use the pressure bleeder type using the tyres as that always give reliable results for me, using hte one way valves and pumping the pedal never worked for me. The pressure bleeder turned a once messy and often poor job into one I could do in a couple of minutes on my own with minimal fuss. Only problem is most 205 reservoirs are a strange size so that the pressure bleedercaps don't screw down securely; I have a newer 306/406 reservoir now and it's fine though.

macaroni

I actually find these to be rubbish. If the pressure is too high it p!sses fluid everywhere and if it is too low, the fluid just dribbles out.

I often find the bottle runs dry, when replacing fluid and it generally makes a mess. Even when it seems to work, I often find the brakes are still spongy.

It could, of course, be down to my incompetence, but I get much better results when a chum presses the brake pedal under my instruction.

What else are children for?

Just my 2p'orth...

Baz
I've never seen a one woman bleed kit so that's why you're struggling I think :P

:lol: PMSL!!! :huh:

GLPoomobile

That's cos women don't need a kit to bleed :lol:

Sign in to follow this