• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Coonper

How Do I Make It Sound Like This?

Coonper

Is it possible to make my mi16 on carbs to sound like a rally car??

Anyone got any clips of their exhaust note?

Forgive the childish question, but i just love the sound of a nice exhaust note :)

Edited by Coonper

Baz
:) GrpN system??

Coonper
:) GrpN system??

Ive just bought a group N back box off someone on here.

Not fitted it yet mind... :)

Do you think that will make it raspy and rallyish??

Bono

It sounds more like induction noise to me.

That sounds 10x better than exhaust noise anyway.

welshpug

to me that sounds like a very expensive engine roaring away down a set of throttle bodies with a pretty normal exhaust.

Edited by welshpug

Coonper

Its that hollow yet raspy note i like! Sends shivers down my spine! Lol

I will see how mine sounds with the group n back box on.

Anyone got any video clips of their engine note's? Now is the time to show off! Lol

welshpug

not mine, but feast you ears on this

Baz

Sounds like you need some ITB's :)

Baz

Or this....

B1ack_Mi16

I think the trick to get that type of sound is to put in some really lairy camshafts.

Camshafts do transform the induction noise a lot.

DrSarty

Slightly off topic, but I've always noticed (and Top Gear has often commented) that Ferraris sound a certain way. What is it in their design that gives them such a specific sound?

petert
Slightly off topic, but I've always noticed (and Top Gear has often commented) that Ferraris sound a certain way. What is it in their design that gives them such a specific sound?

V12's- three small cylinders, into one collector, four times - all doing warp RPM.

bales

The v8's have a flat plane crank which is why they give them a specific sound compared to other v8's, we did do all about the phasing and how it changes the noise at uni but I can't remeber anymore, also why TVR ajp v8's also sound distinctly un-v8-ey

Simes
The v8's have a flat plane crank which is why they give them a specific sound compared to other v8's, we did do all about the phasing and how it changes the noise at uni but I can't remeber anymore, also why TVR ajp v8's also sound distinctly un-v8-ey

Flat plane crank and you beat me to it.

Don't they sound wonderful!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uLNy_pTd2do

Coonper

That white car sounds amazing!! :lol:

Anyone got any clips of their own exhausts??

Im gonna put my group N back box in a bit! See how it sounds then!

brumster
Anyone got any clips of their own exhausts??

You can hear a Powerflow single-box system, with mid-section expansion thing (not really a silencer, I think) in

from Henry at about 2mins in, and a few other bits later on in it. Quite quiet really - it's a stage car after all, and I don't like failing noise test - it's usually around 94/95dB... certainly doesn't sound as nice as any of the examples so far though :lol: Edited by brumster

bales

This was mine with an OMP grp N twin box exhaust

This is it when turbo'd with no exhaust

Turbo 1

This is it when I fitted my homemade exhaust with one jetex box (was running a bit rough as you can hear by the slight miss)

Turbo 2

McDude
we did do all about the phasing and how it changes the noise at uni but I can't remeber anymore

I think what you are refering to is noise order. A traditional (by that I mean yank V8) has what is known as 4th order noise; put simply it has 4 bangs per revolution, but evenly spaced. An inline four like a pug has 2 per revolution and produces 2nd order noise. It is why you couldn't easily make an I4 sound like a V8 unless you sampled the noise and phased it out by 180 degrees and pumped it back in with the existing soundtrack. You'd still never acheive that off beat sound of a V8.

Anyway, I digress, a flat plane V8 has an opposing firing order so it produces mainly 2nd order noise so you could argue it sounds a bit I4-ish.

bales

And as a blatant excuse to post another clip of my car even though its not gonna make any difference to what the OP wants to hear as it is turbo'd :lol:

Clip 1

Clip 2

I'll have to take some more as thats at standard boost and its a LOT quicker now!!

McDude

Bales - your car sounds sweet!

2nd order, but literaly chopped up by the turbine blades - a nightmare for designing OE Air Induction, but awesome for that special stage sound.

Anton green

Love the compressor sound there bales.

wardy18

im hoping mine should sound well, will know tomorrow when it starts for the first time, lairy rally catcam, twin 45's, magnex 4 branch mani, 2 1/4" stainless pipe into 2 1/2" rear section stainless pipe, only silencer in the system is centre race spec silencer, oh and its had a heavy head skim so high compression, CANT WAIT!!

welshpug

oh god wardy I wouldnt like to be your neighbours tomorrow :rolleyes: shouldnt that be 2.5 leading to 2.25 as the exhaust gases cool down and contract thus keeping the gasflow up? :rolleyes:

wardy18

the 2.5 at the end is only a short piece to replace the rear silencer so hopefully wont make a difference, WILL IT?! i have no idea?!

err yeh ive got a cherry bomb rear silencer that can be fitted instead of this 2 1/2 rear pipe in minutes just incase it is a little too loud, fully prepared my friend just have a cracked block at the moment :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this