• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Coonper

How Do I Make It Sound Like This?

Coonper

^^That thing sounds crazy!!

JamesLumley

Rally cars are generally all induction noise as there are strict noise limits on the exhaust.

We generally have to stay between 98-100db for a static noise test.

My exhaust is 98db but you can't really hear it over the throttle boddies....

Xu engine at full chat

Super Josh

That sounds lovely James :P

Josh

Coonper

Well its currently got twin 45's on it, so hopefully the group n back box will compliment it to give me the sound i want!

Sandy

Cams and rod-stroke ratio have alot to do with the note, combined with inlet acoustics of course. John Read's XE engines always sound different at rallies, you can definitely pick them out! Colin used one of John's cam profiles in this 2.0 16v XU, which gave it a very distinctive induction note, different to John's XEs, but quite different to other XUs too:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=S92HzVgMniU

Note also the utter lack of understeer compared to other 205 videos, Colin's chassis in action!

24seven

changing the inlet manifold on my XU7 from the standard plaastic thing to the GTi-6 cast alloy lump has completely changed the induction sound of my car. it's a lot less burbly and a lot smoother. before there was a loud spot around 2.5k - 3k and after 4.5k it had the usual XU rumble to it. now it's smoother throughout and a bit quieter as well. Need to get some proper cams on it pronto!

induction sound of my 205 with the 1.6 and powerflow group N exhaust

after the Mi16 swap

Edited by 24Seven

GLPoomobile
Cams and rod-stroke ratio have alot to do with the note, combined with inlet acoustics of course. John Read's XE engines always sound different at rallies, you can definitely pick them out! Colin used one of John's cam profiles in this 2.0 16v XU, which gave it a very distinctive induction note, different to John's XEs, but quite different to other XUs too:

Sandy, is that Vauxhall XEs you are talking about? Is John Read's car, in those videos, using a Vauxhall XE engine?

I like this vid...

hill climb

EDIT: just realised it's Ian Beacham and not John Read in those videos. DOH!

Edited by GLPoomobile

Sandy

"Colin used one of John's cam profiles in this 2.0 16v XU, which gave it a very distinctive induction note, different to John's XEs, but quite different to other XUs too"

It's a 2.0 16v XU that Colin Satchell built for Ian Beacham, using John Read cams.

Ian Beacham's car (he's driving), John's Cam profiles, Colin built it.

That video you posted is Castle near Lostwithiel, you just can't see how steep that hill is, strictly a second gear slog in most road cars.

Edited by sandy309

wardy18

well i fired the 205 up today for the first time and oh my god does it sound great, ive never heard anythin like it, it sounds so powerful i think is the only word for it, thought my fillings were gonna fall out but its not excessivly loud its just has a very hard rumble note to it, once ive fixed the leaky carb mani and start it tomorrow ill try and record it

welshpug
"Colin used one of John's cam profiles in this 2.0 16v XU, which gave it a very distinctive induction note, different to John's XEs, but quite different to other XUs too"

It's a 2.0 16v XU that Colin Satchell built for Ian Beacham, using John Read cams.

Ian Beacham's car (he's driving), John's Cam profiles, Colin built it.

That video you posted is Castle near Lostwithiel, you just can't see how steep that hill is, strictly a second gear slog in most road cars.

I saw and heard this car go at Llandow today, and it sounds so unlike any Mi16 ive head before, especially the note from the exhaust, and the induction roar when pulling hard down the main straights :)

taylorspug
i build a 205 gti6 with my own exhaust system..

hear the hole build link, incl. exhaust build ..

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54941

and hear a video of the car

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mVuEIg7zRes

regards Magic

Sounds very much the same as mine! I notice from the other video that you have the plastic inlet resonator box removed on the inlet manifold, its suprising how much difference it makes to the induction note isnt it?

DrSarty
you have the plastic inlet resonator box removed on the inlet manifold, its suprising how much difference it makes to the induction note isnt it?

What does it do in performance terms Dan (removing this box)?

Rich

taylorspug

Probably next to bugger all. But i figured its only on the std car to make the induction noise less intrusive, not something that was going to bother me-more noise=more fun :). The box isnt on the BTCC inlet either, and neither are the trumpets on the end of the runners inside the plenum...

Bonzai
I saw and heard this car go at Llandow today, and it sounds so unlike any Mi16 ive head before, especially the note from the exhaust, and the induction roar when pulling hard down the main straights :(

from where i was stood at the bus stop, to hear it accelerating away i was guessing it was some mentally tuned TU. When i walked past later in the day (pretty sure it wasthe same car) it looked like a gti6 on bodies???? Could tell it was cam'd up due to its complete refusing to idle. Didnt like the exhaust system, but it didnt half shift some on track :)

Sandy

Ah I'm glad they made it, it goes pretty well for "only" 235bhp doesn't it? :)

It's a diesel block overbored with 86mm crank to 2.0 with Shillaber ported XU7J4 head.

Dj_mini
Ah I'm glad they made it, it goes pretty well for "only" 235bhp doesn't it? :)

It's a diesel block overbored with 86mm crank to 2.0 with Shillaber ported XU7J4 head.

I had a good chat with him seems like a nice bloke and very helpfull we had a good play on track i thought i was going to be massivley slower than him but i think i did ok after a few laps.

As with me he is very impressed with you and colin.

ORB

I think that this is a very nice sounding car.

not a pug I know, but blimey!

Coonper
I think that this is a very nice sounding car.

not a pug I know, but blimey!

Good god! That sounds crazy!! :)

wardy18

hehe i got told to quietin my 205 down at the hillcimb monday, oops, what a sound thou, sounds like ive got a turbine under the engine!!

Sign in to follow this