• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MerlinGTI

283mm 307 Hdi Front Calipers And Discs On 1.6 205?

MerlinGTI

Hello

Im told the 283mm (vented) discs and calipers from a 307 HDI fit stright onto the 1.6 205 gt (Bendix)i, with no modifactions needed at all, even the 205's flexi hoses are still okto use with the new setup. Is this true?

Im also told this setup will fit perfectly under 1.9 gti alloys (might have to take the balancing weights off tho)

Im asking because I might have the oppertunity to swap this setup with a write off we have at work, but it will have to be done after work and I will have around half an hour do do it, so cant afford any suprises!

Henry Yorke

1.6 GT (do you mean GTX) possibly if they are the same as base model hubs. 1.6 GTI no.

Not sure on flexies, but am sure you really need slightly longer ones for these calipers

j_turnell

A search would have revealed all mate. No they won't fit on a 1.6 as the offset is wrong, you would need to either fit base model hubs, or fit 1.9 shafts and hubs as this has the right offset. They do however fit under 1.9 wheels, i just got the weights put on the inner lip to avoid any contact, but its a tight fit.

MerlinGTI

Sorry GT was a typo, I ment GTI.

Oh bums, thats that out of the window then, Ive only just fitted new hubs\bearings etc.. I dont really want to change them now.

Are there bendix 'refurb kits' avaible? I emailed bendix and they are really unhelpful (i could see by the reply, my question was passed around 5 people with a resulting half hearted 'no') or any other 'bolt on' upgrades for a 1.6? (im gonna search now but to be honest the search facility on this forum does tend to throw up a lot of completely irrelevant topics and it makes it quite hard work)

cheers for your help guys :blush:

Phil H

The 307 HDi brakes on my 205 were rubbish. Get yourself some base model hubs and go 306 GTI6 brakes.

Pugnut

personally i would try and keep the unsprung weight down since you allready have smaller hubs and alloy calipers.the gti6 calipers and disc are pretty heavy, its not so big a jump with the 1.9 , but you'll really notice the handling go downhill on a 1.6.

Henry Yorke

Decent discs and good pads are nearly as good as the 283 conversion. You have to swap the master cylinder really for the 283mm to retain the pedal feel

kyepan

Unless you have an Turbo / MI / Gti-6 conversion and like standing on the anchors, I would stick with ds2500 pads or M1144 and regular fluid changes.

As previously mentioned the 307 conversion adds 5kgs unsprung weight per side, you will notice the difference in 1st gear acceleration, going over bumps and the gyroscopic torque will come through the steering as a heavier feel.

You would also need to convert to 1.9 or base model hubs to get the correct offset and would need 15" wheels to clear the calipers, and then mount the weights on the outside of the wheel.

Your 1.6 bendix calipers are way lighter (1-2kgs) than the equivilent 1.9 items (3-4kgs).

If your thinking about going for 309 driveshafts and wishbones, then you will need to go for new hubs, and brakes, otherwise the 1.6 setup has a nice wide track, light brakes.

The pedal feel with standard 1.6 master cylinder on the 307 283mm calipers is progressive, but a bit longer.

I have the 283mm conversion, and am very happy with it's ability to stop from high speeds, the only drawback is the weighty feel it's added to the steering, mine was a 1.6 to start with.

Next time I would save up and buy an aluminium 4 pot caliper, and get disc's with alloy bells to keep the weight down.

welshpug

the offset of the caliper itself is the same as the 1.9, so you should be able to find a decent aftermarket alloy caliper to fit that'll be as light and more powerful, they wont be as cheap as a refurbed set of 1.6 calipers though

MerlinGTI

wow! lots of helpful replys, thanks :)

I had no Idea the 307 brakes were so much heavier!! I thought max they would maybe be 1kg per side or so. Kinda glad they didnt fit now, it really does sound they are completely unsuitable for my car/needs.

I have found bigred brakes and ordered a refurb kit for the bendix calipers, im gonna stick with them :)

Things i need help with from you guys:

I need a brake pad fitting kit for the bendix brakes (pad springs, the metal slide held on with a split pin etc...) where can i get one?

Theres two different types of pad isnt there? (for the bendix) ones where the center grove line up and ones where they are offset, IIRC my car has 'line up' one side and 'offset' the other! what should it have? does it matter?

Any reasonably priced disks you can reccommend for fast road use, and where from?

many thanks

Pugnut

try brakeparts when you find you car/pads click on the 'associated' tab and you'll find the bits you're after .

pads i cant really comment on . i just use regular bedix ones. excellent for occasional spirited driving and give 3 or 4 good hard breaking sessions in an immediate row but they would be no use for track or if you drove flat out everywhere! textars from GSF are good but iirc are very dusty (pretty sure these are oe pads?).

from maintaining a 1.6 braking set up for a number of years i always found the most improvement in overall braking when the rear drums were removed and serviced. the self adjusters always seize up and increase pedal travel and give poor rear braking . the cylinders get sticky and they usually need a good bleeding.

MerlinGTI

I changed the fluid a few months ago, used DOT4 and vac-bled it... so all ok on that front :)

I havent touched the rear brakes at all (other than the system bleed) so i will give them a service when i do the fronts again.

I do tend to drive flat out whereever possibe! :) Dusty pads are a no no (white car and anal about car clenliness!) im gonna check out mintex pads and disks, and the pads mentioned earlier in the thread, maybe some fredeo's (sp? isnt that a choclate bar with a frog on the packet?!?!)

Thanks for the brakeparts link and your help B)

MerlinGTI

Next question (sorry!)

Theres two different pad fitting kits listed for the 1.6 gti:

BPF0992 61mm PEUG WEDGES AXLE SET

BPF1151 70mm WEDGES/CLIPS AXLESET (WEDGES FOR 1 PIECE IRON CALIPERS - FOR ALLOY PISTON HOUSING USE ALTERNATIVE)

I have two peice (?) bendix calipers with the stupid 5 point bolts attaching the carrier to the piston part... so the 61mm jobbies right???)

Also this offset pad thing any way of knowing what should go on? (i will double check whats on there at mo soon as poss)

pugpete1108
The 307 HDi brakes on my 205 were rubbish. Get yourself some base model hubs and go 306 GTI6 brakes.

what models ar meant by base models? sorry to sound thick

Ryan

Any of the 1.0, 1.1, or 1.4 models, plus the non-turbo diesel, and possibly a few others like the 1.6 Automatic and 1.6 GL.

pugpete1108
Any of the 1.0, 1.1, or 1.4 models, plus the non-turbo diesel, and possibly a few others like the 1.6 Automatic and 1.6 GL.

are these sort of hubs gonna be up to a bit of track time? and will they fit 1.6 shafts?

Sorry to hijak the thread, but will a refurb kit for the 1.6 bendix callipers solve the 'knocking' when reversing? I'm not quite sure exactly what would be refurbed etc...

MerlinGTI
Sorry to hijak the thread, but will a refurb kit for the 1.6 bendix callipers solve the 'knocking' when reversing? I'm not quite sure exactly what would be refurbed etc...

Na, its just a load of rubber gaters (the one from big red) for the piston and the slides. You can get new slides to from big red. The whole lot (rubbers and new slides) came to £35ish. Thers a pad fitting kit avaible from brakeparts as mentioned above which is the pad springs and the sliding face for the pads.

Id check for loose bolts, missing 'L' shaped pad slide or badly worn pad 'sholders' (very unlikely). Might be your lower arms also mate. (knackered bushes and or balljoint cluncking) :)

Edited by MerlinGTI

Ryan
are these sort of hubs gonna be up to a bit of track time? and will they fit 1.6 shafts?

They'll fit 1.6 driveshafts fine. And they'll be fine on track too.

Sign in to follow this