• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Henry Yorke

Fitting Front Rear Beam Bushes

Henry Yorke

I have some BBM nylon front bushes to fit to my 205 1.9 rear beam. At the same time I am going to check that I have the D and G front mounts on correctly as this may solve my front of the rear arch catching issues.

In order to remove the old ones, I presume I just lower the beam, undo the long nut and bolt.

2C51C02A.gif

Do the old bushes press out, whack out with a hammer and screwdriver or do you have to drill / burn them out? Are there any top tips? Is life much easier if you drop the whole beam or can you just losen the rear mounts and let it hang?

Secondly once they are out, should I just copper slip / grease the area where the old bushes were and then whack the new ones in with a rubber mallet, or should I wind them in carefully with a G clamp etc?

Are rubber ones easier to fit than nylon ones? Should either be put in the freezer beforehand?

And finally. To save me searching, is which front mounts make the beam sit further back; 1.6 or 1.9 ones?

tom_m

i burnt the rubber out, cut the outer metal sleeve with a hacksaw and hammered the sh*t out of them with an old screwdriver.

drop the beam, you'll never do it with it on the car

whack the nylons in with a rubber mallet. its a good idea to give the inside of the mount a light buff with some wet and dry to clean up the surface, copper slip didn't seem to make much difference to me.

rubber ones are probably harder to fit and would need a press i reckon, i wouldn't bother with the freezer myself, but it might help.

pug_ham

Choice is yours, Ive done a few sets & never burnt them out but that might be an easier way.

If you drop the beam right off the car you can still need to do some cutting but a decent length of M10 threaded bar etc does the job of getting them out with a little extra work using a hammer & small chisel.

The nylon ones are probably easier to fit than the rubber ones, the rubber mounts are cased in metal like the wishbone bushes so need some force to get them back in) but I've never fitted any rubber ones back in to compare.

And finally. To save me searching
:);) yeah, OK. :ph34r:

Not certain about the rear beam mounts but I think the 1.9 ones make it sit slightly further back. :blush:

Graham.

Henry Yorke
If you drop the beam right off the car you can still need to do some cutting but a decent length of M10 threaded bar etc does the job of getting them out with a little extra work using a hammer & small chisel.

So just wind the bushes out with a big washer on the back and a brace across the front of the hole?

pug_ham
So just wind the bushes out with a big washer on the back and a brace across the front of the hole?

I use a socket on one side big enough for the inner rubber bush to fit inside & a washer that fits through inside (altough the M10 nuts is usually enough).

You still have to cut through the metal tophat end or smash it in using a chisel & work through the main part of the mount but its not that hard imo.

Graham.

M@tt

you'll need a socket or similar to sit on the lip of the bush housing with another big washer on the end of it and the threaded bar running through it so that the bush can be pulled into the cavity in the socket

Henry Yorke
you'll need a socket or similar to sit on the lip of the bush housing with another big washer on the end of it and the threaded bar running through it so that the bush can be pulled into the cavity in the socket

Gotcha. Doing anything tonight M@tt? :P I think I have my garage back too ;) Also have some underlay!! Infact have you got any 1.9 beam mounts too!!!

Super Josh

If you are going to use a length of studding to wind them out, it's worth fitting a number of nuts on it to spread the load across a number of threads too. ;)

Josh

jonnie205

they are pretty hard to get out, i usually burn em out. You must drop beam off car

stutto
Are rubber ones easier to fit than nylon ones? Should either be put in the freezer beforehand?

Don't know about freezing them, I just used the two largest sockets in my Hellfrauds set and some studding:

02032008082.jpg

pug_ham

BTW, the group A nylon ones go in pretty easily with a rubber mallet or similar. (not metal so you don't damage them).

Graham.

CosKev

Had a right job getting mine out the other week :)

The bolts were rusted solid into the bushes,the pic tells it all :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/coskev3/100_2262.jpg

Replaced them with standard rubber Pug ones,just over £30 for four,went in pretty easily with rubber mallet B)

Beam painted up B)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/coskev3/100_2282.jpg

Henry Yorke

oohh now that pic scares me!! I might find some lower tread tyres!

welshpug

that's easy henry, swap the fronts to the back after a few laps of turbo skip death :)

MrG

in the picture Henry posted up at the beginning of this thread, anyone know the number of the item 4b?

I had to resort to cutting mine off so need a new set, so will be visiting my local pug dealer for a new lot. Or would I be better off printing the pic and showing it to them?

welshpug

Just a high tensile M12x100mm bolt + Nyloc nut, part number 5144 20, £2.56 ;)

pug_ham
in the picture Henry posted up at the beginning of this thread, anyone know the number of the item 4b?

From Service box;

5144 20 01 CAPSCREW 12X125-100 + 5146 06 (2) + 5173 13 (1)

Graham.

welshpug

From what I see on servicebox you only need to get 5144 20, the 2 washers and nut are included.

MrG

cheers Graham and WP, I tried the service box but I think its the settings on this works PC that prevents some of the images and links from appearing.

I'll order a set now,

Andrew

MrG

done

had to order all items seperatley, so 2 bolts, 4 washers and 2 locking nuts. Thanks again for the info.

I'm looking forward to getting it altogether again! I hated doing those bushes though, ruined 2 sockets, 2 screwdrivers and hurt my wrist whilst hammering the nuts out of the driver getting the bush and metal out, the first one (the one that failed) just fell out, but the other side, that took ages to budge.

Edited by MrG

GLPoomobile
I hated doing those bushes though, ruined 2 sockets, 2 screwdrivers and hurt my wrist whilst hammering the nuts out of the driver getting the bush and metal out, the first one (the one that failed) just fell out, but the other side, that took ages to budge.

Been there, done that, bought the T-Shirt ;) My right hand and wrist was ruined after too, along with numerous tools.

Will ave to try the studding, nuts and big sockets trick if I ever do it again. Great what you learn on this forum, eh? :D

MrG

OK Lastly on this subject, is it possible to re-instal the rear beam on your own?

welshpug

yep, I've done is a few times.

M@tt

yes but it's quite hard work.

trying to get the beam to balance on the trolley jack whilst you jack it up and reposition it can be tricky. Also make sure you dont lie under the beam as its very heavy once fully rebuilt and if it slips off the trolley jack then it will hurt, ALOT!!

You could do with 2 trolley jacks ideally, one to lift either end.

But if you can grab a mate for 30 mins just till you can get it in positon and screwed back on it is 10 times easier

Sign in to follow this