• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

Peugeot Partner Vernier

M@tt

I've done a search but can't find any of the old posts.

There was talk of the possiility of using a vernier from a partner diesel engine as a cheap vernier but i can't remember whether anyone confirmed whether it would indeed fit on the end of a mi16 cam shaft without machining

I'm getting a catcam and am debating whether to go for one of these (as i'm a cheap bastard) or a PeterT woodruff key.

any help appreciated

welshpug

yep, DrSarty used one.

DrSarty
yep, DrSarty used one.

Yes, it's a DW8 pulley and costs peanuts.

Your cam cover won't fit over this pulley BTW so will need some modding. And PeterT's offset woodruff key is only really designed to advance a no2 pulley into a no4 pulley. There's no adjustment ofcourse, so unless that's the only change you need to make, get the DW8 and cutout a hole in the cam cover for the adjusting bolts to stick through.

pug_ham

I've used one from a TUD5 engine as mentioned in this post.

Graham.

Swazy

Graham.

and i used one from xud9 :blush:

petert
And PeterT's offset woodruff key is only really designed to advance a no2 pulley into a no4 pulley.

Not even that much actually. It will move the cam 4 degrees (crank), which ever way you want it to go!

Swazy

Graham.

Does the TUD5 vernier match good on a MI16? Cause it seems the be problem with timing by using a XUD9 vernier on my mi16

M@tt

There shoudln't be any problem with timing the XUD9 i got mine to match the no4 pulley perfectly before fitting it.

However just a point worth noting, the XUD9 vernier does fit on the Mi16 camshaft however IT WILL NOT FIT WITHOUT making up a shim to push the pulley out slightly as it sits in too far and catches on the head. I think the shim needs to be approximately 3-4mm thick.

I didn't fit mine in the end due to this problem (and not having a suitable shim to hand) so just whacked the standard no4 pulley on it instead.

pug_ham
Does the TUD5 vernier match good on a MI16? Cause it seems the be problem with timing by using a XUD9 vernier on my mi16

Don't know because I haven't tried one on an Mi16 engine but I'll compare the two pulleys later & post my findings on here afterwards.

However just a point worth noting, the XUD9 vernier does fit on the Mi16 camshaft however IT WILL NOT FIT WITHOUT making up a shim to push the pulley out slightly as it sits in too far and catches on the head. I think the shim needs to be approximately 3-4mm thick.

Matt, is the XUD9 pulley fatter than the standard Mi16 pulley? The TUD5 one is & I machined it down to the same width as the XU5/9 8v pulley on a friends lathe but, when I fitted it the back of the hub needed a small amount of machining because the bolts were catching the edge of the flange on the cover backing plate.

IIRC I took about 5mm off the inner edge & then the offset was the same as the standard XU5/9 pulley.

Graham.

Swazy
Matt, is the XUD9 pulley fatter than the standard Mi16 pulley?

Well, i hadn´t problems to fit the xud9 pulley, it matches very well, didn´t had to change something.

But i have trouble by full opening throttle, engine starts to misfire and won´t rev directly

A friend of mine thought it would be a prob with the timing by using the xud9 pulley

Edited by Swazy

M@tt

tbh i think they are approximately the same width (couldn't be 100% sure that they are EXACTLY the same width though.)

the whole pulley looks offset by about 3-4 mm, the outer face of the pulley is approximately 4 mm more towards the head than the standard exhaust pulley outer face.

I don't recall the bolts catching it was more a case of the edge of the pulley itself. The bolt heads do catch on the outcam cover though and so that needs a hole cutting in it (See DrSartys project thread for pics)

Also he experienced the same issue and i beilieve MattSav just made up this shim and it was all sorted, no additioanl machining required

Swazy
tbh i think they are approximately the same width (couldn't be 100% sure that they are EXACTLY the same width though.)

the whole pulley looks offset by about 3-4 mm, the outer face of the pulley is approximately 4 mm more towards the head than the standard exhaust pulley outer face.

I don't recall the bolts catching it was more a case of the edge of the pulley itself. The bolt heads do catch on the outcam cover though and so that needs a hole cutting in it (See DrSartys project thread for pics)

Also he experienced the same issue and i beilieve MattSav just made up this shim and it was all sorted, no additioanl machining required

I compared the oe numbers from the xud9 pulley , it´s the same as the pulley from mi16 d6c engine

So that should fit fine as i know some mi´s with this setup

eob

Question on behalf of a friend of mine with a 1360cc TU XS engine in the boot of his Hillman Imp :), will these fit a TU?

Swazy

Did anybody use the inlet pulley from xud9 on his mi16 dfw? And other question, wich is the best matching inlet pulley for the dfw mi16? adjustable maybe?

Anthony
Question on behalf of a friend of mine with a 1360cc TU XS engine in the boot of his Hillman Imp :D, will these fit a TU?

Slightly late reply to this, but a TUD5 vernier pulley should fit fine with some machining (it's far too wide, but same fitment, diameter and number of teeth)

Swazy
Slightly late reply to this, but a TUD5 vernier pulley should fit fine with some machining (it's far too wide, but same fitment, diameter and number of teeth)

As i already told, i use the xud9 one, but engine won´t rev like i will :D Ok, i bought a set of new ford racing injectors from usa for cheap and didn´t mount them yet, but a friend of mine thought it will be probs with timing through the xud9 pulley?!

So if someone use the same setup for timing iirc using the xud9 on inlet cam, i don´t have to buy or have to buy another pulley

Cause of the late answer, i haven´t been here for months through job issues and home trouble ;)

Swazy

The part number of the pulley i use is 080530, this pulley should be used on the d6c engine on the inlet cam, also used as cam pulley in the xud9 engines.

The pulley from the dfw engine has the part number 080548.

So question is, my dfw engines should run with the pulley from the d6c engine?

Swazy

another question :wub: will the pulleys from an xu10j4 match to the cams from xu9j4

DrSarty

Yes, I'm sorry. If I didn't mention soon enough, Matt and Nick at QEP had to make the shim to stop the pulley fouling on the head. My bad for not mentioning. Doh!

Swazy
Yes, I'm sorry. If I didn't mention soon enough, Matt and Nick at QEP had to make the shim to stop the pulley fouling on the head. My bad for not mentioning. Doh!

So the pulleys from xu10j4 should be fine with the cams from xu9j4?

petert
So the pulleys from xu10j4 should be fine with the cams from xu9j4?

Yes, they're identical. But not XU10J4R or RS.

B1ack_Mi16
A friend of mine thought it would be a prob with the timing by using the xud9 pulley

The XUD9 pulley is exact the same as used on both 1.9 Mi16 (D6C in and ex), S16 (in and ex) and also T16 if I remember correctly.

If you are using it on a standard DFW engine you will loose some dynamic compression and engine will get more sluggish at low and medium revs at least.

Swazy
The XUD9 pulley is exact the same as used on both 1.9 Mi16 (D6C in and ex), S16 (in and ex) and also T16 if I remember correctly.

If you are using it on a standard DFW engine you will loose some dynamic compression and engine will get more sluggish at low and medium revs at least.

So what will be the best choice for inlet cam?

evo rich
Yes, it's a DW8 pulley and costs peanuts.

Your cam cover won't fit over this pulley BTW so will need some modding. And PeterT's offset woodruff key is only really designed to advance a no2 pulley into a no4 pulley. There's no adjustment ofcourse, so unless that's the only change you need to make, get the DW8 and cutout a hole in the cam cover for the adjusting bolts to stick through.

have you got the part code for the dw8 pulley and its just straight fit thanks rich

Veero

All well and good knowing what engine it's from but I couldn't find one at all on Friday! :D

I am right in thinking the XUD9 is a 1.9 diesel as found in 306/ZX/Xantia (and 309 GLD but couldn't see one) etc? Also found a few 106/Saxo/AX with small TU diesels which I assumed to be TUD5s but none at all had any vernier pulleys.

And S16 is the 306/405 2 litre 16v engine? What's the engine in a ph 2 306 XSI then?

Edited by Veero

Sign in to follow this