• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Peetypug

What Gearbox For A Gti 6 Conversion

Peetypug

which one do you recommend

i wont be doing long stints on the M-way and it will only be a weekend/sunny day car

1.6 = good acceleration poor M-way

1.9= slower acceleration good M-way (mine is in pieces after throwing it across the garage :blush: )

mi16 = i've got no idea what these are like

GTI6 = poor turning circle, there will be one with my engine but the guy tells mt the mounting pin for it has snapped :(

or a bit of a hybrid of say a 1.6 with an mi16 final drive

personally i think the hybrid one would be best but would like other opinions please

pug_ham

Xsara VTS (MI16) gearbox for a quick road & occasional track car.

Graham.

Peetypug

that'll do then

not that i want to take my little baby on the track :blush:

knowing me id stuff it in the barrier on the first bend :(

GTI6BOY

Vts

Spiky

i currently runa 1.6 (well it should be ..lol )

cruising home from donington last night 80 was 4000 revs...lol

not the best but i dont mind :blush:

Alastairh
Xsara VTS (MI16) gearbox for a quick road & occasional track car.

Graham.

Agreed. Casually pulls to 140 mph, respectable to drive on the road and doesn't do your nut in.

I have a 1.6 box on my mi with a MI final drive, and im not sure i like it. Its quick, but theres quite a jump between 4th and 5th it kinda bogs down.

Al

Spiky
Agreed. Casually pulls to 140 mph, respectable to drive on the road and doesn't do your nut in.

I have a 1.6 box on my mi with a MI final drive, and im not sure i like it. Its quick, but theres quite a jump between 4th and 5th it kinda bogs down.

Al

whats speeds you get in it?

80 in 5th? what revs?

you want to sell it?

welshpug

my 1.9 does 80mph @ 4000rpm spiky, original box too.

Spiky

FOOKING DOH

was sold a 1.9 box :( was cheap so cant complain ..lol :blush: and works better than my old 1.9

ok, thats 3 1.9's and a 1.6 i have now ....lol

how easy to change the housing on the box? as my 1.6 dont have a cranks senser hole

Edited by Spiky

TurboSam

my 1.6 box at 4000 revs is sitting at 70, so I think you were sold another 1.9 box steve .. :blush:

I'm tempted to swap for an mi box, but not sure if there is that much of a difference at 70 to warrant changing it

VisaGTi16v

You want to try mine driving to events then, 1.6 box with 13" wheels, agony even with ear defenders etc :blush:

Spiky
my 1.6 box at 4000 revs is sitting at 70, so I think you were sold another 1.9 box steve .. :blush:

I'm tempted to swap for an mi box, but not sure if there is that much of a difference at 70 to warrant changing it

well 70 in mine is around 3500

StuF215
well 70 in mine is around 3500

same as mine, sounds right for a 1.9 box....

With the mi f'drive fitted if i remember correctly its doing about 4100ish @ 70.

After using a 1.9 box, a 1.9 box with 1.6 fd, a 1.6 box and also the 1.9 box with mi16 fd, im going back to the 1.9 box with mi16 fd cos I miss it!! Its feels the best to me.

I also found the above box to be quieter than the standard 1.9 @ 70. 1.9 ws dead boomy at 70. Carbs dont help...

Henry Yorke

Picking up on Visa16vGTI's post, as opposed to changing your box, why not just buy 195/45/15 tyres instead of 195/50/15? I am sure someone somewhere can do the calcs to see how this on a 1.9 box compares to a 1.6 box. Much less hassle too! You only need to do the front as well technically.

The 1.9 CTI box is a good one to have as it is just slightly longer than a 1.6 box so more manageable, but also quite rare, though I think my brother may have one in Stoke though as he has a couple of 1.9 CTI engines.

I am happy with my Mi16 box with the 1.9 final drive - 3200rpm at 70mph in 5th - but I have more torque to pull it through the gears ;)

StuF215
I am happy with my Mi16 box with the 1.9 final drive - 3200rpm at 70mph in 5th - but I have more torque to pull it through the gears :P

;) Thats gotta have a mega high top end.......whats that at 7000rpm+ ?

welshpug

Henry's Turbo skip doesn't pull 7000 rpm+ ;)

Peetypug
The 1.9 CTI box is a good one to have as it is just slightly longer than a 1.6 box so more manageable, but also quite rare, though I think my brother may have one in Stoke though as he has a couple of 1.9 CTI engines.

is that a hint for me to go and get one off your brother? ;)

Daxed

If it is only for sunny Sundays, you will only take it out about 10 times over the next 12 months, so try the 6 speed first.

As long as you can live with the R/H turning circle (roughly similar to an oil tanker), the ratios are a brilliant drive.

It didn't suit me as a daily drive, I got sick of looking even more of a totally inept twat than I actually am, amazing but true.

sorr

I have a 1.9 box with 1.6 final drive on my Mi. Long first gear helps with getting the power down and closely spaced after that. It does rev a little high on the motorway, but no more than a lot of modern small cars. Given the GTi6 engines extra torque with this box you should have an exciting drive. ;)

rex

Is the turning circle really that bad with the 6 'box?

I'm currently re-building an XU10J4RS to go into my 205 and I'm planning to use the 6 speed 'box - won't 20mm wheel spacers take some of the turning-circle misery away? I drove the 306 donor before I cut it in half :lol: and I agree that the 'box seems lovely for the engine....

(edit) sorry, I measure roughly 40mm difference in 'box length...

Regards, Rex

Edited by rex

Garry

The 6 box is great for ratios and the turning circle is manageable for day to day use, its only really parking that it comes into play. But you just have to park in a bay on your left!

I have changed to an Mi box on my car now as it used for track mostly, the main reason was that during a 'moment' the lack of lock with the 6 speed could (and has been!) be the difference between a save and a spin!

Super Josh
won't 20mm wheel spacers take some of the turning-circle misery away?

The problem with spacers on the front wheels is that it completely screws up the Ackerman effect and ruins the lovely 205 steering.

The '6 'Box is only a 1.6 'Box with 6th being the same as a 1.9 5th or decent cruising.

Josh

camgti

Im using a MI16 1st,2nd cluster with 1.6 3rd,4th,5th and the MI16 Final drive.

Its bloody fantastic, 5th gear at 110KMH (70mph) its at about 4000 and it dosent bother me.

Come on we all drive rattle boxes whos worried about a bit more noise! Pulls away so keenly.

Cam

Sign in to follow this