• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gtimon

Can't Get Into Gear - Clutch?

RonnieG

Had a similar issue during my last track day a few weeks ago - Mid way through the session the clutch pedal would go to the floor fine but not disengage the gears. I ended up also having to start the car in gear to be able to drive it anywhere.

I similarly then checked all the bolts were tight, cable adjustment, clutch arm etc but everything appeared ok....

I ended up just taking the gearbox off and it turned to be the release bearing that was causing the problem. The release bearing is held on to the clutch fork with 2 wee plastic tabs/locators top & bottom (Certainly the INA & Valeo ones are) and one of these had broken off so when I have taken my foot off the clutch the fork has come back off the release bearing allowing it to rotate 45 degrees which means next time you press the clutch the forks no longer contact enough of the release bearing to operate the clutch.

I just bought a brand new Valeo release bearing off ebay for £10 delivered and I'm back on the road again but I think it's a weak design for such an important part and a fair chunk of work to replace !!

gtimon

Ok

I've started to remove the Gearbox as it appears that the ball pivot has broken for the pivot lever.

With the right hand long drive shaft, do I have to remove the whole shaft as the Haynes bible states or can I just separate the short bit like the left hand side without having to remove the fixed shaft with its bearing.

Thanks

RonnieG

I've done the job both with the longer driveshaft in place and without but now I always remove it as getting the gearbox back in is not the easiest job anyway as you need to rotate the box at the same time as lifting it to get the diff housing up inside the subframe and I definitely find this easier with both driveshafts removed & out the road.

It also avoids any risk of grit etc getting near them which could potentially just end up back in the gearbox oil.

gtimon

I've had the Gearbox off and nothing broken, but ball pivot was like a p^*+k in a shirt sleeve.

The alloy housing was badly worn. So I drilled and tapped the housing for M12 about 25mm deep and then got a piece of M12 studding about 75mm long and drilled in its center a 8.5mm hole of about 20mm deep, knocked the ball pivot back in and cut it to about 15mm long and screwed the plug in with high strength Loctite. (Its easier to have a longish bit of studding to aline it with the drill.)

Now its good as new, being as it was the lever was kicking out of line with the push rod loosing its travel to release the clutch.

Now I'm going to change the Clutch assembly and renew the driveshaft seals before I put the box back in.

gtimon

As already mentioned earlier about the gearbox to engine bolts have a habit of coming loose.

Has anyone had the need to wire the head of the bolts to stop them un-doing and which have been best for tightening, Socket cap heads or Hex head bolts.

It will really be a joy to drive a GTi again in the Sun !!

Sign in to follow this