• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gtimon

Can't Get Into Gear - Clutch?

gtimon

Yesterday a problem started, where I started to have trouble getting into gear and having to put it into gear then start the engine.

I adjusted the clutch cable which appears to be near its end of adjustment. The clutch does not slip at all even on the track. The clutch lever moves about 1" or more where the cable is attached.

Is this a problem with the clutch pedal/cable/lever or the clutch cover assembly/release bearing. As I don't want to remove the gearbox assembly for no reason.

thanks

Edited by gtimon

tom_m

sounds like a fubar release bearing to me

Miles

check that your box is still bolted to the engine as well, quite a common one that

jackherer

If its a BE1 box check the arm the clutch cable goes onto hasn't fatigued and bent slightly.

gtimon

Thanks guys,

I thought it might be the clutch cover assembly, as if I adjust the cable I can get into gear cleanly for a short time.

The only other thought I had, if there was some linkage at the top of the pedal known that could cause problems like the selfadjusters.

So it looks like a Clutch change. :)

Any suggestions which might be best for trackdays.

1991 205 1.9GTI - BE1 box.

welshpug

bog standard Valeo unit from GSF £63.90. (+vat less any discount :) )

jord294
Thanks guys,

I thought it might be the clutch cover assembly, as if I adjust the cable I can get into gear cleanly for a short time.

The only other thought I had, if there was some linkage at the top of the pedal known that could cause problems like the selfadjusters.

So it looks like a Clutch change. ;)

Any suggestions which might be best for trackdays.

1991 205 1.9GTI - BE1 box.

is there any particular reason you are using a be1 gearbox in a 1991 car? :)

gtimon
is there any particular reason you are using a be1 gearbox in a 1991 car? :blush:

I think its a BE1 (1.6 GTI - reverse - left and up), been advised its the best ratio-ed box for trackday.

We did it, lifting the Grand Slam. :lol:

Good Game, Good Game.

Edited by gtimon

davemar

It might be the bushes in the pivot of the L-shaped clutch cable arm. These can wear out making it difficult to select gear. They cost peanuts from a dealer (and may even have them in stock!) and are easy to replace. Worth trying this out before the big job of a clutch change. Another thing that can fail is the rubber ball-joint pivot for the clutch arm itself. I had one wear out so it wasn't pivotting nicely.

gtimon
is there any particular reason you are using a be1 gearbox in a 1991 car? :D

why the question.

Is this a good choice for a 1.9 on a trackday??

jord294
is there any particular reason you are using a be1 gearbox in a 1991 car? :D

why the question.

Is this a good choice for a 1.9 on a trackday??

just seems a little strange to be using early style gearbox in a later car. <_<

gtimon
just seems a little strange to be using early style gearbox in a later car. :D

I was told the 1.6 GTi ratio's were better suited than the 1.9 GTi standard box for trackdays.

Is this so ???

jord294

it is yes, but why your car wasn't fitted with a later be3 box baffles me.

i've had a similar thing with a '88 205 gti i bought a couple of weeks ago. it's a 1.9, and was fitted with the later 1.6 box, the be3. so now i've removed the be3 box, and put a be1 back in.

i now have a be3 1.6 gearbox available for anyone interested. all my gtis are be1 boxes

gtimon
it is yes, but why your car wasn't fitted with a later be3 box baffles me.

i've had a similar thing with a '88 205 gti i bought a couple of weeks ago. it's a 1.9, and was fitted with the later 1.6 box, the be3. so now i've removed the be3 box, and put a be1 back in.

i now have a be3 1.6 gearbox available for anyone interested. all my gtis are be1 boxes

It was originally fitted with the correct BE3 box, but as I said I was advised to fit the 1.6 BE1 box for its better ratio's.

pug_ham
It was originally fitted with the correct BE3 box, but as I said I was advised to fit the 1.6 BE1 box for its better ratio's.

Be1 & Be3 1.6 GTi gearboxes have the same ratio's unless you got one of the very rare Be1 close ratio 1.6 GTi gearboxes.

Be3 has a stranger diff than th Be1 (not by much but every little helps).

Graham.

JayCC

Check gearbox oil level, check box has not de-atached itself from block. If gear stick has lots of play, replace bushes in L shaped lever. My local pug dealer gave me some free as they were not on the stock list anymore. :P

gtimon
Check gearbox oil level, check box has not de-atached itself from block. If gear stick has lots of play, replace bushes in L shaped lever. My local pug dealer gave me some free as they were not on the stock list anymore. :P

Its not gearbox, its Clutch trouble. Where the clutch is dragging, preventing engagement of any gear.

jshep205gti

Check you have oil in your gearbox.

And secondly, check that your gearbox is still fitted tightly to the block. There are 4 main bolts.... I wouldnt be surprised if you've lost one.

gtimon

I've done a search for a clutch problem I have.

Seeing the Pic of the clutch set-up below.

post-8790-1211228924_thumb.gif

My problem seems that the lever through the BellHousing is sitting out of line with the short rod (item 4) shown.

I can move the lever to make the rod inline, but when the clutch is operated it suddenly jumps back out of line.

Then I can't get any gears.

Is there a fault inside the BellHousing with the lever or a fault with the rod ??

Any more Pics of the lever where it engages the thrust bearing. ??

Like this one:

post-8790-1211229207_thumb.jpg

But this is not the clutch system I have.

Thanks

Edited by gtimon

tom_m

have you had the box off yet?

gtimon

thanks

No not yet, as I want to be sure its not an external issue first, such as the cable and lever system before I remove the Box.

welshpug

quite possible that the triangle shaped arm bolted to the box has bent (part 5 in the pic above)

or it could be a broken ball stud in the bellhousing.

whereabouts are you in Mon? if you're not too far I could have a look for you.

Anthony

If you haven't already done so, check all the gearbox bolts are tight like others have suggested - the lower rear 8mm allen head one that screws in from the engine side in particular has a nasty habit of falling out, and is much more common a fault than the release bearing dragging sufficiently to stop you getting it in gear.

I'd guess that in probably 50% of the 205's myself or friends have owned that pesky bolt has worked its way loose and caused selection problems - it's the first thing I check with any gear selection / clutch type issue.

gtimon

Thanks have sent a PM.

I dont think the ball is broken as it appears the lever going through the bellhousing is pivoting on the ball, but you can move it sideways pivoting on the ball. Which throws the short rod out of line. I'm beginning to think the problem lies with the thrust bearing end of the lever.??

Should the rod (Item 4) be fixed in the cup pushing against the lever.??

Thanks again

Edited by gtimon

gtimon
If you haven't already done so, check all the gearbox bolts are tight like others have suggested - the lower rear 8mm allen head one that screws in from the engine side in particular has a nasty habit of falling out, and is much more common a fault than the release bearing dragging sufficiently to stop you getting it in gear.

Thanks

As I've said the short rod is not aligned correctly when operating the clutch, all the bolts are tight.

Sign in to follow this