• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
madspikes

Engine Mapping On The Road....

madspikes

The supercharged pug is ready for mapping! Does anyone have any tips for mapping using a MS on the road. The car is fitting with a wideband lambda. Is it just a matter of driving up and down at steady rpms and loads and tweeking the mixture. Or is best just to drive around, stop look at the data logs, do some tweaking, then drive some more?

Suggestions please.

Anyone know of a private road, I could use...?

Mad. :angry:

Sandy

Find somewhere really quiet, straight, good visibility etc!

Try and focus on the low load normal driving areas first, then work outwards from that zone with care, starting slightly rich and leaning as required.

welshpug

enjoy making flames :angry:

brianthemagical

make sure you get the idle done ok first, may give some indication of errors, like req fuel. megatune has a built in data log tuner somewhere as well, so go for a run, then set it to do it's thing, and keep doing that for a bit, thn final tweaks after that. theres no substitute for an RR to fianlise.

cybernck

well the best bit of advice is - DON'T DO IT YOURSELF!

get someone else to drive while you monitor and adjust things on the laptop.

base-1

Do what has been said, and get a knock sensor, or at least make one with some washer tube and ear defenders

madspikes

The plan was to have someone ride shot gun and operate the laptop whilst I drive!

I have a knock sensor but have no idea where I can mount it on the 8v.

I have driven the car on part throttle, just taking it easy and it seems ok, so I think the basics are working ok.

A rolling road session would be needed to finally set the fuelling and the ignition timing, any good RR who do MS stuff down in dorset?

Mad.

niklas
I have a knock sensor but have no idea where I can mount it on the 8v.

In the same place as on the 16v?

You may need to change the bolt to the 16v one but then it should be straightforward!?

madspikes

It all went very well. Adjusted the fueling on incressing load until we heard knock / pinking. Then with a rough fuel map adjusted the timing... Then back to the fuel...

Car now drives great... More mapping needed though.

I thought the knock sensor bolted down near the centre oil filler hole. The 8v doesent have a bolt hole here...

Mad

pug_ham
I thought the knock sensor bolted down near the centre oil filler hole. The 8v doesent have a bolt hole here...

Don't they fit to the centre main bearing cap side bolt by using a longer bolt than normal?

Graham.

madspikes

I like the sound of that... If so I could just get the longer bolt from pug and bolt it on! Jobs a good'em! Need to look into that.

Sign in to follow this