• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
huzzer

Australian 205's Identity Crisis! Changing Dash?

huzzer

I have a series 1 205 here in Australia. Series 1 was the same as the uk phase 1 but with detuned, all over really.

A little background on the Aussie spec 205's:

Series 1 = 1.9 75kw DFZ engine (105bhp with cat) 1.6 alloys, cloth interior, ph1 dash, air con. There was never a 1.6 version. Basically looks like an early 1.6... but slower.

Series 2 = same as series 1 but with ph2 dash and electrics, still with orange indicators, 1.6 alloys etc.

Series 3 = basically a ph2 all round with a DKZ 90kw engine (122 bhp with cat) 1.9 alloys, half leather (i think)

When I lived in the UK I liked my 205's to be original and not updated in any way, but over here they seem to be very watered down and they don't look original anyway (1.9's looking like 1.6's) So as peugeot have messed around with the originality I'm swaying towards updating it to look how I liked them =ph2, 1.9 alloys, ph2 light etc. I will be going to change the engine anyway, so may as well do the rest.

My original question was, will the ph2 dash fit exactly in the place of the ph1 dash? I know it will fit size wise, but are the mounting points (under scuttle panel etc) in the same location?

About 9 years ago, I attempted this and came up against a problem which meant I couldn't finish it, but it seems a long time ago and I can't remember what the problem was!

I realise I need to change all the loom over to ph2, what about fusebox? are they different? Can the ph2 loom be run with the phase 1 engine loom (even though it will be changed to the other engine loom)

At some point (when i've built the garage!) it will be stripped right down and sprayed up, so having a blank canvas to start from might make it easier???

IMG_8414.jpg

IMG_8417.jpg

The number plates just for Sarty, I know how much he likes w@nker plates! :lol:

Edited by huzzer

huzzer
IMG_8419.jpg

smokey

Yes you can swap the dash from phase 1 to phase 2. I'm in the process of doing this myself.

You've already said your swaping the dash loom, which is good as it will make it easier to do the transfer.

Will it plug into the phase 1 fuse box? It should and i hope it does as that was what i was planning myself.

One problem you might have is the glove box will cover up the bonet release handle. But this can be sorted by cutting a small section out. This might only be a problem with CTI's only though.

Edited by smokey

Super Josh

You poor bastards having to have Cats all this time, to dull down the experience :)

You should be fine on the fusebox, as the 205 only ever had one type of fusebox. :angry: I don't know how you will fair on mating a later dash loom, with an early engine bay one, though.

Josh

huzzer

Thanks guys. I was fairly sure it physically fitted just wasn't sure about the technical bits. But that's given me enough inspiration to get on with it.

Only problem I now have is sourcing all the parts from the UK as I wouldn't find that lot from here!

I will also be changing to gti6 when I strip the car down, so do I need to worry about the engine bay loom or should I get an engine bay loom from a ph2 now aswell to make it easier?

gti_al

Changing dashes isn't that bad... I can't believe how much better mine is with the later doorcards/dash etc

Just get everything from the donor car - including steering column and heater box

huzzer

It does make a huge difference imo,

Al, how did you wire into the engine loom from ph2 dash loom?

gti_al

I just used the standard loom... and still need to get a couple of things working. The clocks work fine, but the switches need some work

I think the speedo cable was different too actually - a 405 one worked well though.

Edited by gti_al

smokey
I just used the standard loom... and still need to get a couple of things working. The clocks work fine, but the switches need some work

I think the speedo cable was different too actually - a 405 one worked well though.

If you have a phase 2 dash loom everything should plug straight in with no problems, even the switches.

As for the engine loom, thats a separate thing isn't it?!

Sign in to follow this