• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sussex_gti

Do I Need The Split In The Downpipe?

sussex_gti

After fitting my mi16, im not really hapy with the downpipe. Ive cut and re-welded it but its by no means perfect, and is blowing slightly. ive a friend who is a fantastic tubesmith, and has offered to make me a frontpipe. I wondered if the split in my downpipe is really beneficial? Ive seen people talk about it quite alot, but slightly unsure what purpose it serves, and whether i should really worry about i.

Chris.

welshpug

its there to create a 4-2-1 effect, without it it'd be a VERY short 4-1, losing you torque.

If your friend is a tubesmith I'm sure he'll know exactly what to do.

nick

I wouldn't bother with the split, I've had both on my Mi and 8v and couldn't notice a difference on either.

Nick

welshpug

now this is the bit I dont understand, why did peugeot go to the effort of designing a good system, and for peugeot sport to replicate it in a larger bore, if its not worthwhile?

sutol

How far down should the split continue to be effective.

reason is that I have an aftermarket system which has no split and was thinking of modifying it. :unsure:

whizzer71

Wouldnt worry about it Chris,just Do what ya gotta do,wont have that much of an effect with your Mi in a 205 !

:unsure:

Miles

The split effect's top end power, I noticed this on a old 309 GTi (Say old it was fairly new at the time) and wondered why performace had dropped off at the top end, Took the downpipe off and noticed it had burnt thru, Changed it over and all was back to normal, So I would keep it there or do what the Moongoose did and use to seperate pipes

d-9

I found the split had a massive effect on the torque of my cammed MI, when i went from a downpipe with no split to one with it improved it a lot.

pacey205

I agree. I replaced my exhaust on the Mi a while back and coulnt find one with a split for love nor money so had to use one without. And its definietly not as torquey mid range as it used to be :lol:. Used to it now but would much rather have had one with the split present.

Michael

Alastairh

I don't bother unless its new.

They just crumble and become restrictive leading to you needing to buy a new one...

felix2566

What happens in the case of the later Mi's and Gti6's that had cats, do they still have a split down to the cat? Or were they designed to run with out the split pipe?

welshpug

the 2.0 Mi16 and the S16 still had the split in the downpipe till the cat.

the GTi6 is a different animal and has a properly matched 4-1 arrangement.

felix2566

So its fine to not have the split on a GTi6 conversion?

sutol
How far down should the split continue to be effective.

reason is that I have an aftermarket system which has no split and was thinking of modifying it. :)

Judging by the info on here I think I will construct a twin pipe system as far as the first box. :angry:

welshpug
So its fine to not have the split on a GTi6 conversion?

Yes, its quite a different engine to the Mi even though it has many similarities.

the split on an 8v usually runs the full length of the downpipe, to about 12" from the centre silencer.

sutol

Any ideas on size for twin downpipes ?

i have some inch and a half pipe - is that a bit big do ya think ?

Sign in to follow this