• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest matty D

Engine Troubles......

Guest matty D

Although I have been lurking here for a while, thi is my first proper post, so go easy!

Ive got a couple of issues with my Gti6 engined 205. I did a track day at Brands Hatch yesterday, and the car behaved impecably up until the last session (about 100 miles since start of day). It seemed to drop off some power at the top end, as if it was mis firing. The petrol was about 1/4 full and I first thought it was fuel starvation after a long right hander.

Anyway, after that I called it a day and headed home. On the way back, the engine lacked the initial urgency low down the rev range, but after that it pulled fine. It did however sound a little rougher than before. I know thats not a very good explanation, but I dont know how else to describe it.

Also, on track the temp never got near the red, and the oil pressure stayed about half way (which I thought was good) but on the way home cruising on the motorway, the temp was almost in the red, and the pressure was non existent on the guage. What could cause this? I checked oil and water levels befor during and after the track day.

The other thing was on the way home in the rain and dark, the windscreen wipers went on a go slow( ie 1/4 normal speed) and the lights were about as bright as a candle. Not very nice driving like that :(

Ok so sorry for the rambling, but I know pretty much squat about mechanics, and Im too skint to take it to the garage, so would like to learn and save money by sorting this by myself if poss.

Anybody got any ideas what could be causing the above symptoms? Lack of power, rough engine, high temp/low pressure, and weak electrics.

Please can someone help :)

PS I hope this is in the right forum!

Simes

Sounds like it maybe your alternator starting to give up.

Guest matty D
Sounds like it maybe your alternator starting to give up.

Ok cheers. That would explain the weak electrics, but would that also cause the pressure/temp and power drop issues?

Also is the alternator an easy DIY job?

Im desperate to get it sorted cos Im supposed to be at Castle Coombe on friday and I darent take it as is.

Thanks,

Matt

jackherer
Ok cheers. That would explain the weak electrics, but would that also cause the pressure/temp and power drop issues?

Possibly, concentrate on the electrical problem to start with and hope for the best.

Do you have a multimeter? If not get hold of one, they are very cheap these days and if you can see what voltage your battery is with the engine on and off you can get a very good idea of what is wrong.

fletch

Wonder if your bottom end bearings are worn...

luggy

Change the oil and oil filter, it maybe that due to the electrical issue you have, that the fuel/air mix wasnt being fully combusted and thefeore suffering bore wash, thinning your oil causing oil temp to rise and pressure to drop. Or I maybe talking complete and utter bollocks!

jonnie205

bore wash is nonsense, i would check you alternator is giving out 14+ V on idle. The oil pressure issue will almost certainly be a loose connection or the like. The swicth is located on front of engine just have a fiddle while a mate watches gauge.

Guest matty D

Ok thanks for the comments, Ill test the alternator tommorow when I get a multimeter. If it is the alternator, wheres the best place to get one from. Pug dealer? Failing that any other ideas what it could be?

Ive changed the oil and filter, and although I havent had a good run to see if the temp/pressure problem is sorted, it seems smoother. Was a right pain having to raise the back end up really high to drain the sump!

jonnie205

why did you raise the back to drain sump? i have some good gti6 alternators if you find it to be faulty

is it just me or are people ignoring whats happened here?

engine sounding rough

oil pressure non existant

water temp in the red

those 3 things are not random!

not wishing to piss on your chips but this is not going to be cured by an oil and filter change, i would seriously recommend you do not do any more trackdays or drive the car any distance until you have done a compression test and removed the sump and checked the shells

otherwise your just risking a more expensive failure than has already occurred

Guest matty D
why did you raise the back to drain sump? i have some good gti6 alternators if you find it to be faulty

Because the engine is angled backwards so the sump plug is higher leaving a couple of litres oil in the sump.

jonnie205

sorry i cant understand that, the sump plug is on rear of sump, if anything i would jack front of car up

Guest matty D
sorry i cant understand that, the sump plug is on rear of sump, if anything i would jack front of car up

Ha ha shows how little I know! I drained it from the plug on the front that has a sensor attached!

pugman211

Check alternator - that will sort the dimming lights part. Check coil packs as i've seen that happen before on GTi-6, rough on idle, poor pickup at low revs, but then will pull fine higher up.

And definately check the bottom shells, as a check will only take 30 minutes. Like 205007 says, if you find it now, it will be a hell of alot cheaper to fix if something is wrong!

Good luck and keep us informed!

fletch
is it just me or are people ignoring whats happened here?

engine sounding rough

oil pressure non existant

water temp in the red

those 3 things are not random!

not wishing to piss on your chips but this is not going to be cured by an oil and filter change, i would seriously recommend you do not do any more trackdays or drive the car any distance until you have done a compression test and removed the sump and checked the shells

otherwise your just risking a more expensive failure than has already occurred

Agreed!

Id say this issue is a bit higher priority than th electrical problem!

Guest matty D

Ok Ive got hold of a multimeter but havent got the foggiest idea of how to use it to test the alternator. There is a big dial on the front with loads of different settings! And then how do you actually test the alternator?

Also, to check the shells, is it just a matter of taking the sump off? And pugman, thanks for your post but (excuse my blatant ignorance) what are and where are the coil packs and how do I check those?

TIA

PhilCTI
Ok Ive got hold of a multimeter but havent got the foggiest idea of how to use it to test the alternator. There is a big dial on the front with loads of different settings! And then how do you actually test the alternator?

Also, to check the shells, is it just a matter of taking the sump off? And pugman, thanks for your post but (excuse my blatant ignorance) what are and where are the coil packs and how do I check those?

TIA

The easiest way to the use the multimeter is to test the voltage, Your looking for a setting that has a V with a straight and a dotted line parallel to each other which is DC Volts. There will be another V with a wavy line which is for testing AC Voltage like in your house.

With the engine turned off, put the test leads across the battery and see what the voltage is reading, ie 11 - 12 volts, then test it again with the engine running and if the alternator is ok it will read around 14 Volts, if no change from the first time the alternator isn't charging either because of a faulty wire/connection or the alternators duff.

Phil

pugman211

its not ignorance mate. Its all about learning!

Do the voltage test first. Let the engine warm up nicely, and check the oil temp and pressure guage aswell.

The coil packs are the little square black things that sit on top of the engine, above the spark plugs. Not sure how you could test them to be honest.

And as for checking the bottom shells. You would need to drain the oil. take off the sump. look up into the engine and you should see 4 rods (conrods) going upwards. You would need to turn the crank with a socket to get the rod to its lowest point. Then undo the 2 nuts, and tap off the semi circle piece of metal (called end journal i think). Then look at the thin metal layer to see if you can see any damage.

I dont advise this though, if you feel you cant do it. i.e, your not sure of how to do it. Try seeing if anyone in your area can help out maybe?

Guest matty D

Ok, based on the advise above Ive prioritised checking the shells. So far ive drained the sump and undone all the bolts holding the sump on. However, it appears to be stuck solid still from what seems to be a sealing compount( same thing the bolts were covered in). Unless there are any bolts that I have missed (ive removed all those pointing directly up), whats the knack to getting the sump off?

With regards to testing the alternator, it seems I bought a duff multimeter as it wouldnt even turn on, so that will have to wait. At least now I know how to test it though :lol:

pugman211

just gently prise a large screwdriver in between the sump and the block. That will break the sealing compund Pug puts on the engine from factory.

If your unsure of the results of checking the shells. post some pics up and people will advise you.

welshpug

on the gti6 some of the gearbox bolts go into the sump as well as the block.

Guest matty D
on the gti6 some of the gearbox bolts go into the sump as well as the block.

That'll be where Im going wrong then :angry:

Cheers!

jonnie205

No, with a 5 speed no bellhousing bolts go into sump

taylorspug

Unless using a Xsara box. :angry:

jonnie205

sorry yes

Sign in to follow this