• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pete C

205 Gti 1.9 Auto>manual Conversion?

Pete C

A friend is looking at possibly buying a 205 GTI 1.9 Auto... As far as we can tell it's not a Gentry or anything, it's a proper GTI with an auto gearbox.

Anyone know how easy it would be to convert this to manual, and which parts (apart from the obvious) might need to be changed?

Would be nice to hear from someone who has actually done a swap :)

Ryan

Gearbox

Flywheel

Clutch

Gear linkages

Gearstick

Pedal assembly

Clutch cable

Some coolant hoses

Plus some minor alteration to the wiring

Pete C
Gearbox

Flywheel

Clutch

Gear linkages

Gearstick

Pedal assembly

Clutch cable

Some coolant hoses

Plus some minor alteration to the wiring

Thanks Ryan, sounds pretty much like we were expecting, main thing we weren't sure about was if the driveshafts were the same or not, but sounds like they are :)

I should have just asked on the SXOC, shouldn't I! :unsure:

Peetypug

its not the one on ebay now is it?

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, sounds pretty much like we were expecting, main thing we weren't sure about was if the driveshafts were the same or not, but sounds like they are :unsure:

If it's one of the jap-spec autos that's doing the rounds then I think they all have 1.6 driveshafts, hubs and brakes. Not 100% on that though.

Super Josh
If it's one of the jap-spec autos that's doing the rounds then I think they all have 1.6 driveshafts, hubs and brakes. Not 100% on that though.

Yeah, I believe that they do, they were a mismatch of 1.6 and 1.9 parts.

You'll need to remove the starter inhibitor, this is a relay is the relay box on the passeneger inner wing, as it's a phase 2 car.

Also the reverse switch wiring comes through the passenger side on the autos, so you need to sort that out as I think it is one plug that does reverse and starter inhibitor IIRC.

Josh

Pete C

Hmmm, doesn't sound so good, do they still have discs at the rear or is it drums?

MrG

not sure but the jap spec cars (these auto 1.9's) originally had 14" wheels and 1.6 brakes so maybe? As its an auto it'll be a 105bhp 1.9 engine only, wouldn't you be better off going for a decent manual car to start with?

Edited by MrG

jonnie205

Buy a manual car, it will be lots of work converting and you will get everything stripped off it then wish you hadnt started

Sign in to follow this