• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest dakin

Xu Into Rallye

Guest dakin

Hi, headgasket on my rallye 1.4 has just gone.

I've been thinking of an engine upgrade for awhile and now seems to be the perfect opportunity.

I was wondering how easy it is to put a 1.6 gti engine in to my car?

Are all mounts etc the same? How about the wiring?

Thanks, Tom.

M_R_205

it is posible and it is rather easy but it takes fair bit of time and effort, you will need to replace a fair bit of the loom to acomodate the ECU, change the fuel tank as to run the leccy fuel pump, mounts are probably the same (unless your car is very early) will need a new exhaust and id recomend a gti front suspension and brake set up to accomodate the extra weight,

if you are handy and have the time go for it :(

Edited by M_R_205

Tom Fenton

Unless you are especially attached to your Rallye, I'd just go and buy yourself a 205 GTI 1.6, job done, and far less hassle.

Plus if you repair the headgasket I reckon the Rallye is worth more with its proper engine in than with a 1.6 XU in.

BERTMAN

ull need, a Gti subframe to accomodate the linkages for the gearbox too... so that means a whole GTi front set up, petrol tank, and ECU/wiring loom too as said before... so if your going to do it you mayas well put a 1.9 or Mi lump in there haha :lol:

rallyeluke

put a 16v 106 gti/vts engine in there.

DaveW

Try to find a xs engine and box will make the rallye loads better as its lighter and the box is short which makes it very fun to drive.

Guest dakin

Yea think i will look for a xs engine, i hadn't thought of that.

I'm guessing it will be simple to fit too?

Thanks for the replies.

M_R_205

An xs engine into a rallye will be dead easy as there almost identical, im soon (hopefuly) going to be putting an mi16 into an xs as iv managed to get my hand on a VGC non sunroof shel for pennies, im going to be starting a project page when i get the shell if you interested in watching the progress...

EDIT: just thought, if i get the car your welcome to the engine!!

Edited by M_R_205

Guest dakin

Yea the project would be interesting to see.

I'll pm you about the engine mate, thanks.

taylorspug

Ive just wired up a GTI engine into an XS for someone (dont really see the point tbh, but thats just me!). Its not a hard job, but so much stuff is different that you will pretty much need a complete GTI donor car to make it work properly, ie engine, gear linkages, tank and pump, rad, hoses, interior loom for guages etc. Id go with the xs engine personally, a good one will get down the road just as good as a 1600 GTI anyway. :blush:

Guest dakin

I've decided against the gti engine now as it seems too much hassle for what its worth.

Looks liken i'll be going down the xs route. :blush:

Just a quick one but will the 106 rallye engine go in? The 1300 s1 one?

These seem more readily available than the xs.

danpug

It will do with a couple of modifications but you'll have to convert to injection, the same hassle as going for the xu engine really.

Jrod

If you are going to do the hassle of a 1.3 rallye engien you may aswell go for a 16v TU

GTI6BOY

I have heard you have to also do some modifications to get the gti subframe to fit?

Jrod

Just need to cut the gear post off the TU one and weld it onto the gti subframe.

Casanova

Dropping an XS engine in can be done in a few hours and will cost about 100 quid max, and you won't regret it. Any of the other options mentioned will be an order of magnitude more time, hassle and money. Why not see if you can get a go in an XS to see if you like it? The revvy, low-geared power delivery is great fun, which is just as important as the actual power output IMO.

§

GTI6BOY

i already have a 6 engine getting taking out my cti

bren_1.3

i agree with Tom Fenton..

if its a nice shell with all the decals then just sort the headgasket and be done. they wil be worth some money soon..

i have a K reg yellow rallye that has been garaged for some time now, with near perfect original cloth seats, im sure it will be worth its weight in gold when and if i eventually sell it.

depends how much of a purist you are i suppose. :)

Sign in to follow this