• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kenno

Any One Of You Kind People Have Pictures Of Mi Loom

Kenno

Im putting the mi loom in soon & just wonder if any of you have some clear pictures?? of where it comes out of the bulkhead & across the top off the engine please.

Thank you.

Coonper

My loom is an absoloute state! :wacko:

Wires/connectors/insulation tape all over the shop!

Anthony

It comes out of the bulkhead near the brake servo, round the cambelt side of the engine and across the top engine mount, then underneath the inlet manifold and terminating near the thermostat housing. The relays end up in a box behind the drivers headlight, and all the loom plugs should be fairly self explainatory if you've routed the loom as above :wacko:

Kenno

Thanks ant, I knew it did but i didnt know if anyone had found a better route?

Stu

I did mine slightly differently, the relay loom comes across the left hand side of the bulkhead, round engine mount, then tucked the relays on the underside of the engine mount in a little cavity in the shell (ill get a pic, it makes it so much clearer), while the sensor loom i ran across the back of the bulkhead and across the top of the box.

Edited by stu da rude

pacey205

This is how Ive done mine. Run as per Anthony's explanation but the relays run behind the engine mount section and are then tucked away in front of the strut underneath the standard jack so theyre not in the way but I still have easy access. Old picture but shows you how it runs.

p4150128yx3.th.jpg

Michael

Edited by pacey205

Anthony
Thanks ant, I knew it did but i didnt know if anyone had found a better route?

Certainly not without pulling the loom apart again, as I built it with the above routing in mind and hence various wires won't be long enough to route any other way.

jonnie205

if its a bx loom then its very long and it can be sortened or run under radiator and back around screen wash tank to ig amp etc. 405 looms are shorter and are run around cam cover and over engine mount

Kenno
Certainly not without pulling the loom apart again, as I built it with the above routing in mind and hence various wires won't be long enough to route any other way.

Thank you Ant you are a star, Well I will plumb it in on Thurs as the Heating engineer has to come back again, but at least I have heating tonight.

Cheers again Ant

GLPoomobile

That relay box on the Mi loom that people usually stick behind the drivers headlight, what relays are in there?

Mine doesn't have that. I've just got one or two (can't remember) relays screwed to the scuttle lip by the header tank.

Anthony
That relay box on the Mi loom that people usually stick behind the drivers headlight, what relays are in there?

Mine doesn't have that. I've just got one or two (can't remember) relays screwed to the scuttle lip by the header tank.

Fuel pump relay and ECU relay. They will be present somewhere on the loom - it's possibly whoever did your loom originally moved the relays somewhere else, as I know Miles for example tends to move the relays into the cabin so they're not exposed to the elements.

The two on the scuttle panel near the expansion tank are nothing to do with the engine management - one is for the driving lights, and the other the airhorn (on 1.9's) from what I recall.

DrSarty

If and when you find the relays, you should find that one of them, the ECU one, has a built in diode which is shown on the diagram on the outside of the relay. This is to help protect the ECU from voltage spikes.

And if you do have a BX loom which is longer like Jonnie says, an alternative is to mount the ECU under the driver's or passenger's seat to keep the extra length in the cabin rather than an elongated trip round the engine bay.

Yet another alternative is to use the rubber bulkhead bung under the expansion tank. This means the loom's going to the correct side of the engine to start with and keeps it away from the exhaust.

The relay(s) by the expansion tank if unplugged will show you what they're for, i.e. horn or driving lights.

:)

Edited by DrSarty

Sign in to follow this