• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti-hysteria

Should I Use Laquer When Painting Artic White?

gti-hysteria

basically im painting my sills and trim inserts artic white (or was it alpine i cant remember now), but should i use laquer on top or not??

toddydal

depends on which paint you have got mate,ive just recently done my car and that was just straight gloss which shines right from the gun,if you get basecoat then you will need to put clearcoat over for the shine,itl be easier to use just straight gloss for the sills as 1 or 2 coats and your done,were as with basecoat its 1 or 2 coats of base and then 2 coats of clearcoat and if your doing it at home the drying times are longer

sutol

Whites used to have laquer built into the mix.

gti-hysteria

iv painted them now and i didnt use laquer, it is very shiney, need to give the car and t-cut and polish now but that can wait, here are the results anyway....

BEFORE

02032008001.jpg

DURING

02032008002.jpg

AFTER

02032008004.jpg

02032008005.jpg

02032008003.jpg

Paintguy

Looks great, and I still love those Speedlines :)

It must have been the kind of direct gloss colour that toddydal referred to above, which 'shines' straight from the gun/can. That used to be the norm for solid colours like white, red etc, but more and more they are becoming matt basecoats (like metallics) which need a clearcoat (lacquer) over them for shine and protection.

Sign in to follow this