• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jrod

Stupid Car!

Jrod

Right well after finally finishing my car this morning It's developed a problem lol. :)

Basically when turning and applying power (only small amounts of power, like pulling away from a junction) There is a large clunk and you can feel it all through the car and it feels liek the car loses power when it happens. When the wheels are straight there are no problems what so ever though...?

Also it feels like the steering loads up sometimes when going round the corner, like it wants to go straight on. If you let it straighten up a bit it wont clunk but if you hold it going round the corner it will.

It feels like its coming front the front left wheel.

I jacked it up at the front and when in gear and you spin one wheel it will turn a few turns but then gets really stiff, like the diff is jamming up. :)

Could it be a knackered driveshaft or is it going to be something less fun like a shagged diff/box?

Edited by Jrod

jord294

is your top engine mount in good condition?

i had a similar problem to you, and i thought it was the diff, and infact it was a knackered top mount

Jrod

Yup all mounts are new, as are arms and bushes and steering rack which are all the thing I thought could cause it.

swordfish210

Sounds like the diff to me mate. If it wasnt for the last symptom i would have said bent ARB. Swap the box for an AX GTI gearbox, much better :)

Jrod

Are the ratios longer as I don't want anything longer.

It basically undriveable now and I'm sure its the diff, when turning left it just jumps and doesnt give much drive.

Is it possible to swap the diff for a different model or are they different ratios etc?

paul_portsmouth

dont get down mate ull sort it im sure

im only down the road if u want some comapny when working on it

Jrod

Ah I'm not to fussed, just hoping I can get it done asap as I was finally driving it again and it was good fun! :)

Could it be the crownwheel has come off of the diff unit? They aren't bolted on are they.

If so is it possible to just removed the diff (if I can get the torx undone!) and just put them back together and then weld it like it says Here or are they going to damaged once they have started to come apart?

Edited by Jrod

swordfish210

Take the box off and remove the bellhousing then you can get to the diff without taking any of the gears out. Yeah the AX GTI gearbox has slightly longer ratios (3600 rpm at 70mph instead of 4000 for the XS box) but i really prefer it to the XS box. I think it's a better all rounder

Jrod

*sighs*

I was working on it from 9am-midnight last night fitting my sumpguard, new rack, bumpers and loads of other really annoying fiddly jobs.

I hate cars. :)

Edited by Jrod

stu_woac

at least you get to drive yours mate ever since the other half left I cant afford to get mine back on the road :) going to have to get a stus car fund rasier going lol

just to throw something else in sure its not wheel bearing when binding real good can give you those symtoms as the driveshaft pulss on it when cornering !!!

GazRallye

Does the AX GTi box fit the XS engine then, I was under the impression that you would need another pre 92 box to bit the XS engine, thought the bolt pattern was different pre and post 1992...? :)

Makes me think that my diff is ok and its potentially the engine mounts, as the 6 month old diff seals have worn already causing severe gearbox oil leakage, could be caused by the engine gearbox moving excessively....

Sorry for the high jack, I'm suddenly inspired !

Edited by GazRallye

swordfish210

well i'v sure as hell got one on my car :) I had to swap the mounting plate and the reverse plug sensor but other than that it fitted perfectly

GazRallye

Fair enough! :)

Don't know why I thought the pattern was different?!

Jrod

Anyone got a box?!

GazRallye

You'll be lucky!

I've been looking about for one for a while now but haven't been able to source a decent one, there was one at my local scrappers a while ago on a 205 SR, was owned by a grandma and had only 70k on it, I started taking it off but the weather turned nasty so I called it a day. A week later on my next day off, I returned to discover it'd been cubed! Gutted :)

Jrod

:) To be fair this box came off a low mileage one I bought from some old grandad....

I'll go ax gti / 106 xsi if I can't find a 205 one. I think I may of found one already though. ;)

Edited by Jrod

Jrod

Box is off and ready to be binned, only took me 75 minutes which included the sump guard which I don't think is to bad!

plenty of metal on the drain plug....

post-8046-1204556643_thumb.jpg

Tom Fenton

From your description of the problem I'd guess diff planet wheels, these are the weak link on the MA boxes I believe, I can remember a mate of mine had an AX GT about 12 years ago back when I were a lad, he killed the diff doing too many emergency starts in it, and then changed the box twice, as the first one he got was a 4 speeder!!!!!!!! :wacko::lol:

Rippthrough
From your description of the problem I'd guess diff planet wheels, these are the weak link on the MA boxes I believe, I can remember a mate of mine had an AX GT about 12 years ago back when I were a lad, he killed the diff doing too many emergency starts in it, and then changed the box twice, as the first one he got was a 4 speeder!!!!!!!! :lol::lol:

Aye, one munched 'em at curborough last month.

I really should stop doing j-turns in mine given what keeps happening to everyone elses :wacko:

Jrod

Recon its possible to just replace them and hold onto the box as a spare?

Anyone know if they will be the ame in non Xs ma boxes?

Miles

I;ve got a XS box, No idea of the condition but it was come by as a good one

RossD

The 1.6 boxes had a slightly better diff than the other MA boxes. (Bigger crosspins in the diff, more like the XU design but still with the crownwheel pressed on)

You could either try a 1.6 box, or see if the diff fits the XS casing?

Edited by RossD

stu_woac

or get a lsd got a excuss now lol :blush:

Jrod

Not allowed LSD's in enduro rallying. :blush:

Sign in to follow this