• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andychalmers

206 Gti 180 Enigne Into A 205 Rally Car

andychalmers

Thanks again for the help, its a good topic but everyone is shying away from the 180 without any real information. I've had a MI with nearly 200bhp but had a oil serge & killed the bottom end, been there done that, need a new idea. GTI 6 & Mi engines are all high milage so need money spending on them straight away. This 180 engine I've sourced is cheap & only 4500 miles on the clock. Everyone is saying it wont fit in a 205 & a BE3 gearbox wont fit but without facts. With respect I need facts i.e. why it wont fit, specifics. I've seen a pic I think of Hilgis 180 205 car & looks like there is a inch spacer on the top engine mount which seems a easy fix to me. I've been told the 180 engine is a good starting point engine for tuning even tho im only going to fit throttle bodies and leave it standard to see if its any good, plus its not a common conversion. I like to be different :) Once I've weighed up if fits feasibly or does'nt fit then I'll try another route.

P.S. if anyone has a engine for sale pls feel free to pm me. Im needing lots of fancy bits for a 205 rally car, throttle bodies, proflex, quife type box, 21mm torsion bars, pedal box etc etc.

niklas
Im after bags of torque and not so bothered about power at hight RPM as I need acceleration not top speed.

A common misconception!

You will always have the best acceleration where you develop the most power.

The question is rather how well you are able to optimize the gearing for the tracks you are competing on, and what the penalty will be for not having an optimal gear in a specific situation (ie a specific corner exit).

This is why the GTI 180 _with_ VVT or a Honda engine _with_ VTEC is better than any of the XU-based engines. You cannot cheat physics! Camshafts are always a trade-off.

The GTI 180 is easier to fit than the Honda engine but I guess there is less experience of the engine with regards to tuning potential, service requirements, oil surge etc. Important factors when choosing a race car engine! (Along with very important things like gearing options and associated costs!)

Henry Yorke

Have a word with Mark (I think) at www.repairgeot.co.uk. They have fitted one to a 205 and it goes like stink. Not sure if it will meet your torque aims though.

IMHO, the Mi is just old hat now and some of the design flaws in it have really started to show in recent years as mechanical grip has increased through tyre and suspension technology creating higher crnering G forces and the effect on the oil in the sump. A 6 engine is a better design with a better standard power delivery. Slightly more weight but the strengths outweigh the weaknesses. EW10 is a bit of an unknown as a conversion as everyone is scared of the multiplex so opt for better the devil you know!

Yes you will get a lot of opinions and not a lot of facts on internet forums; it is just the way they work! The skill is in your personal filtering of what you chose to believe and disregard!

andychalmers

Cheers Henry all true, Im actually now been swayed and tempted to go along the Honda Vtec engined 205 route :rolleyes: if I can get sufficient info & theres plenty of parts available to build a monster engine & gearbox. I have a totally bare shelled 205 with welded in cage to start from so nows the time to do it. I'll give Sandy a call on monday but please feel free to host your Vtec comments!

base-1

VTEC is like an impotent turbo. All the lag with no payoff :)

Half joking, a friend of mine built himself a 2.0 VTEC for his Civic Jordan, forged internals with cams bodies and some block work or other, makes 255bhp and it's so useable considering the bhp/litre figure. Two or three times as easy to drive as an Mi of the same power I should think. No idea on torque figures though sorry

DrSarty

I think it's a sound choice. No - I'm not saying it just because I mentioned it, but I've learned that the components used in Japanese engines (Honda specifically) are top notch straight out of the factory and the logic behind the choice of each one is brilliant and logical to the Nth degree.

You have masses of resources for tuning too. Sandy will be an excellent place to start (the forum member I mean, not the place in Bedfordshire! :) )

Edited by DrSarty

Sign in to follow this