• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davemar

Mi16 Still Acting Up!

davemar

I was just getting the car ready for it's MOT retest yesterday after having fixed the things I needed to do a couple of days before including adjusting the emissions. Tried to start it, and it wouldn't start!! The engine turned over, and there appears to be a spark (I used one of those HT lights you can use in-line with the HT leads, and it was flashing away as normal); but the thing wouldn't fire up. I checked the plugs which were covered in petrol, so fuel is probably getting in there, but possibly too much and it's a bit flooded. I disconnected the injectors and started it up again to hopefully burn some of the fuel off, and cleaned the plugs up. Still no joy.

In the end I cancelled the MOT test, and sure enough 10 minutes after doing so it started up and idled nicely. Typical!!!

I'm at a loss to why it did this. I've started it up and had it running several times in the past few days without any problems at all. The only thing I'd done between it last starting and this time was to adjust the handbrake a little!

I really feels like some intermittant electrical problem, but is tough to track down. It's running the 8v Jetronic setup (I know I should convert to Mi16 ECU, but haven't got the time!), so there aren't too many sensors to go wrong. The temp sensor measures OK, the AFM seems fine. I'm now beginning to suspect the ECU itself it playing up. Quite a long while ago I had to adjust the spring in the AFM quite a lot to stop it running too rich, but have left it as that ever since. I'm wondering whether the ECU has been dodgy all along and just now it's going further wrong.

Has anyone else had a Jetronic ECU go wrong? I do have a spare, so hopefully replacing it will sort things; but I like to get to the bottom of whats going on.

Sign in to follow this