• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
number2301

[misc_work] Modified Where It Matters

Paintguy
Alright I'm comparing it to knackered standard shocks on something like 60mm lowering springs and no bumpstops but I'm still very happy with it :)

Beautiful looking car mate! :ph34r:

When I got my car it was on -60mm springs, had a totally seized rear beam, and virtually no dampers to speak of at the front. Switching to the same Eibach springs and a decent set of dampers made a hell of a difference!

de Noir
Shocks.

Front- F4-V36-0547-HO

Rear- F4-B46-1038-HO

eibach prokit springs e7001-120

Thank you very much mate. :)

tom_m
Are they actually a different part number to Sprintlines?

yup they are, those ones you've got are the 'challenge' spec jobbies

oh and i'm being pedantic i know, but the right and left front dampers should have different part numbers: V36-0547 and V36-0548

:)

number2301

That's good to hear, I'd bought them as challenge spec but having seen pictures of Sprintlines they looked identical so I wanted to know if they were actually any different :)

d-9

wow, its so red :)

number2301

Small update, rear dampers are on with a little help from Hodgy, they also appear to have lifted the back end up a bit so its not as uneven as it was with just the fronts on.

The previously mentioned driveshaft noise was just me not having done the wheel nuts up :) but even after a new master cylinder the brakes are still shagged.

Next task is to bleed the brakes, replace the calipers which brake (one of the rears already has so hopefully no more will go) and hope the brakes are ok after that. Then onto raising/refurbing the rear beam, and servicing the engine.

hodgy

a little help from me lol

number2301

Right thought I'd update my thread since it's been nearly a year!

Droplinks have been replaced, nice easy job especially with a nut splitter and I replaced the distributor cap, rotor arm, spark plugs and HT leads to sort out a misfire it had developed while sat. Non of those made a difference but it sorted itself out on the way back from the motor factors. A bit strange really seeing as I'd done something like 80 miles and it hadn't cleared up.

Anyway onto the exciting bit, I finally fitted my Whiteline adjustable rear anti roll bar (£100 from Balance Motorsport). It was a fiddly bastard of a job but I managed it by following the attached guide.

So the unpacked kit looks like this -

23022009003.jpg

The bar attaches to the beam like this -

23022009005.jpg

Close up shot of the bracket -

23022009009.jpg

And to the trailing arm -

14032009017.jpg

I had a bit of a problem with the supplied bolt being too short on the left hand side of the car, I'm guessing that was down to manufacturing tolerances and it was easily solved by buying a pair of 10x110m shanked bolts.

I can't really give an assessment of the performance yet as I've not had chance to give it a good run, and with the above problem with the bolts it took me 3 weeks to get the car back on the road! Just got to sort out the rattle on the exhaust now, its not terrible but its annoying especially when sat idling.

To be honest I was a bit surprised about how it attached and I'm not entirely happy as it looks a bit of a bodge, but I guess if it works its alright.

Next step - braided hoses and new track rod ends.

post-5573-1237653054_thumb.jpg

EdCherry

Like you said, does look a bit of bodge but will it do the job! interested to hear feedback once you given it a good working out.

number2301

Well although they don't look it, the trailing arm mounts feel solid and they don't make any noise when driving so I would assume they're holding just fine?

It does feel different, but I know having spend over £100 and hours fitting the thing I'm bound to 'think' it feels different. I'll have to have a play with the settings when I'm on track.

Tom Fenton

I have to say I think that looks dire. Its not even executed well, for example the clamp brackets round the beam tube could be made much nicer without much thought or effort. As for the attachment to the trailing arm, thats shocking IMO! A nice bracket to pick up on the caliper bolts, or even a different stub axle supplied with a pickup on the back of it would be much better.

omega

have to agree with tom it looks so cheep and horrible and even though you have fitted it as per instructions,but if it works then its money well spent

Tom Fenton

Just to add- please don't think I'm putting you down because I am not intending to- but Whiteline Motorsport really ought to be ashamed if that is the best they can come up with for a kit. I've had a thought and a machined alloy saddle to sit on the beam for the bar mounts, and a titanium stub axle with a tapped hole on the rear side to accept a rose jointed drop link could make it much much better.

Miles

Golf ARB's are much the same thou, Look horrid but do help. But as said it could be made allot better then the cost would go up so it's one of those things again,

Looking forward to a report on how it works

oli-pug

Ive got a whiteline arb on mine. Not the nicest bit of design, but it's priced to match and suprisingly sturdy when assembled.

Definitely effective too!

24seven

I'm painfully jealous of how red your car is! Mine deffo needs a respray back to its former glory!

Veero

Indeed, it is extremely red :P

Good to see another one as red as that. It's great when you pull up and people wandering past comment on a 205's redness, makes all that polishing and hard work worthwhile :D

number2301

Seeing as all the comments are about how red it is as opposed to the £700 of suspension I guess I should put up some clean car pictures -

19042009059.jpg

19042009058.jpg

A couple more are in the album

number2301

Quick update, no work but I did take my car to my first track day thing. I went to the Harewood Hillclimb Driving School, it's a great day out. You get 4 runs in the morning (one with tuition) with cones out to mark turning points etc, then another 4 runs in the afternoon. You also get free runs at the end of the day, but unfortunately for me the last session was rained off.

My best time of the day was 82 seconds (timed with Racechrono on my N96) down from 90 seconds. Apparently a good time for my car would be 74 seconds so I've quite a way to go!

I've uploaded the video from the day here -

And a few pictures here - http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v239/num...arewood%20Hill/

welshpug

looks very composed, though to me the back is too low :lol:

number2301

I agree to be honest, I'll be raising and refurbing the rear beam in due course.

rallyejames

nice and shiney there buddy lovely car