• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
number2301

[misc_work] Modified Where It Matters

number2301

Right I'm finally doing something with my car so its time for a progress thread.

13102007683.jpg

Here it is in all its glory, a mainly standard phase 2, 205 GTI 1.9. I've spent a bit of money on it since buying it in October, mainly putting things back to standard/replacing missing bits but nothing really interesting enough to write about.

But today the final part of this arrived -

26022008861.jpg

Excuse the crap photo (and my foot) but its a full set of Bilstein Group N shocks/dampers and a pair of Eibach Pro springs (-30mm I think). Its a tried and tested setup which will hopefully be decent on the road and on the track later this year. But regardless it can't be any worse than the stupidly low springs on standard shocks at the moment, it scrapes over speedbumps and crashes over the slightest bump in the road. I'll be raising the rear from its current position to match the front with the new springs.

An update will follow on the weekend hopefully!

Oh one question, I'm assuming the plastic tubes at the top and bottom of the springs are just packaging and need taking off?

GLPoomobile

May I ask how much you paid?

I think the plastic bits are just to protect the paint/powder coat when the spring is seated. The ones I had on my last 205 had them still fitted so I left it like that.

Also, I'm stupidly jealous of how red your 205 is! It may be too low but it looks the nadgers :angry:

M_R_205

The bodywork is painfully good :angry: , how do you get it so shiney!!! lol

Tom Fenton

I'm also interested on the price of the susp and where you sourced it from.

sutol

:angry:

How'd yer do that.............mines bloody orange compared to that.

Mongo

looks lovely.

The plastic bits are to protect the rod from sh*te sticking to it then causing pitting/causing the seals to pop and leak, leave them on it`ll make your suspension last longer.

tom_m

the plastic boots are to protect the exposed damper tube from water and road crap, prolonging the life of the damper. don't take them off.

Jrod

I think he means the plastic bits on the springs?

Gotta love the billie shocks, try Miles or X sport for decent prices.

Miles

That does look like a very nice shade of Red, Not a fan of red or well orange normally but that is nice

The Dampers and Spring's came from me, the Spring's taking a detour tanks to Parcel Force, I've supplied stacks of those damper's now and yet to here a bad word against them

Henry Yorke

The plastic bit on the springs is to minimise chaffing and rusting between the spring and the spring pan. All Eibach springs have it as they are properly engineered and the best you can get for fast road :angry:

Sandy

Yummy!

number2301

I did mean the plastic bit on the springs, glad I asked now else they would have been in the bin :)

The full lot came from Miles, I'll leave it to him to post the price if he wants as I know some people can be funny about that kind of thing :( . You can however see a price on Peter Lloyd Rallying (can't remember the URL, just search it) but the springs they supply are just listed as tarmac or gravel without a brand name, which is why I bought from Miles.

The bodywork is painfully good :angry: , how do you get it so shiney!!! lol

I'm afraid I can't take credit for the paintwork, it was like that when I got it and unfortunately after a winter of no washing its not quite so shiney now! Hopefully I'll get time to get it back up to scratch once the new suspension is on.

I think it might have been repainted at some point, its definately been machine polished though.

tom_m

oh my bad! serves me right for forum browsing at midnight!

Jer309GTi
That does look like a very nice shade of Red, Not a fan of red or well orange normally but that is nice

The Dampers and Spring's came from me, the Spring's taking a detour tanks to Parcel Force, I've supplied stacks of those damper's now and yet to here a bad word against them

Can you supply this setup for a 405 Miles?

(Sorry for slight hijack :angry:)

number2301

Right progress update, a combination of illness and bad weather really delayed things but with the weather perking up a bit I've actually done something <_<

First a couple of little things, I fitted the CG Lock I got from the group buy, which was as easy as they say but haven't had chance to test it yet so I'll have to report back on that once I've had a good run.

Next up, I had a terrible knocking noise from my driveshaft so replaced that, but am still having problems figuring out what to do with the staking hub nut. My screwdriver and hammer combination doesn't seem to be doing much good, probably need a bigger hammer :angry:

Next was replacing the parcel shelf with speakers in for a standard one, and the horrible metal gear knob for a standard one which meant replacing the whole gearstick due to the old one having been cut down. No pictures here, I'm sure we all know what they look like.

Finally something half interesting, today saw both front struts changed to the Bilsteins I bought months ago.

Knackered old strut on the car

Old Strut next to new strut

And about time, new strut on the car

Of course, with the rear still being 'slammed' this resulted in a rather odd stance.

With a bit of luck tomorrow will see the rear dampers on, possible new master cylinder on Saturday and ready for Speed Harrogate on Sunday complete with comedy stance. Torsion bars are to be adjusted at some point in the future, it may take me a while to find a hammer big enough :lol:

Edited by number2301

number2301

Slight problem, I've put the front struts on and torqued every thing up but it doesn't look right, does any one know what I've done wrong?

02052008890.jpg

02052008891.jpg

Also I just can't stake the hub nut, I've been hitting it with a hammer and chisel and its cutting through it rather than bending it into the groove. Any tips?

Tom Fenton

I use a chisel with the end ground blunt for staking hub nuts,you do have to give them a decent whack. Also be careful of the handling with the car ride heights like that, I've a feeling it will be atrocious!

welshpug

got a pic of the hub nut?

top mount cups look fine, they all stick up a little bit.

just out of interest could you measure from the rim to the underside of the plastic wheelarch? it looks higher than mine which is meant to be 25mm ;)

number2301

Not got a picture of the hub nut no, it does look more rounded at the edges than other non-staking hub nuts I've got lying around though. I could get a picture later, what are you looking for?

I suspect its quite a bit higher than it will be due to not having moved or settled in yet, plus its on a bit of a slant there. I'll give it a run and get it on the flat for a picture/measurement for you later on.

I use a chisel with the end ground blunt for staking hub nuts,you do have to give them a decent whack. Also be careful of the handling with the car ride heights like that, I've a feeling it will be atrocious!

I did suspect that myself, especially as the rears are still standard, I'm guessing no traction due to the height and oversteer due to the stiffer fronts than rears?

cybernck

have you replaced top mount doughnuts (they can get squashed with time) and bearings while you were at it? ;)

number2301

No, I know I should have but it needs new top mounts as well due to both being fairly heavily corroded so I'm going to replace them once I've saved up the £80 to buy the full sets for both sides.

Needs a new track rod end, wishbone and drop link on the right hand side as well. Can these be replaced one side only?

de Noir

Pretty please with sugar on top, I'd like to have part numbers of those bilsteins and eibachs.

Thanks. :ph34r:

joey

Shocks.

Front- F4-V36-0547-HO

Rear- F4-B46-1038-HO

eibach prokit springs e7001-120

number2301

Go for them you won't regret it, I had a short drive yesterday (short due to a horrible driveshaft noise and failing brakes :) ) and they were amazing. The front end just felt really tight and firm (oo err!) but was still great over bumps. Alright I'm comparing it to knackered standard shocks on something like 60mm lowering springs and no bumpstops but I'm still very happy with it :ph34r:

Are they actually a different part number to Sprintlines?

Edited by number2301