• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Super Josh

Wheel Bearing Rumble

Super Josh

My friends car had what sounded like a rumbling wheel bearing. It sounded like it was coming from the O/S, which sounded reasonable as we had changed the N/S about a year previously.

So got a new bearing pressed in at the weekend and put it all back together and Bugga no change.

So what can it be? Does anyone have any suggestions of what to try next? Can't believe it could be the N/S again, especially as it definately sounds like it's coming from the O/S :lol:

Josh

Stu

Well.. its funny you should say that, as i had a rumble when i loaded the n/s side front corner mid bend, didnt pay much attention to it as id intended to swap over to the 309 stuff id got in the garage anyway..

BUT, upon taking it apart, the n/s bearing is fine, but the o/s is fooked..

Strange? I wonder if the rumble came when the o/s was UNloaded?

Super Josh
Could be the drivehshaft?

That's the only other thing that I thought of too, Chris. Their aren't really many other moving parts really, but I always thought that Driveshafts made a clicking sound when they were on their way out though? Does anyone have any experiance of shagged 'shafts?

Josh

Simes

Super Josh,

How about the intermediate bearing on the driveshaft? I've had this go before - very similar rumblings to a worn wheel bearing.

Super Josh
Super Josh,

How about the intermediate bearing on the driveshaft? I've had this go before - very similar rumblings to a worn wheel bearing.

Simon, should have said, it's not a 205 but a MK1 1.2 Clio (feel the power :) ), so no intermediate bearing (well I don't think so, I'll have to check).

Josh

In my experience wheel bearings and CV joints can sound similar (unhelpfully) when they are on their way out. Last changed my 205's n/s shaft when it made a nasty rumble type noise going round right handers. Second hand shaft worked a treat.

Goliath

My brother has the same problem, on the same car aswell! when going round a roundabout it suddenly started rumbling and vibrating and was slowly getting worse so we set about changing the hub (as he had a spare one he knew was fine) however we couldt get the hub off the driveshaft and snapped a hub puller trying so we changed the whole driveshaft and hub! many hours and lots of oil everywhere we were done.

on the way home though there was no difference, still a rumble, so as far as im concerned it cant be either the driveshaft or the hub/wheel bearing?! very odd.

its on the n/s on his and is getting really loud and vibrating now!

Mikey S

sounds like it maybe the diff carrier bearings on there way out. changed a few sets on scenics before.

it sounds exactly like a wheel bearing, but its the diff rumbling.

Edited by pugger

Super Josh
sounds like it maybe the diff carrier bearings on there way out. changed a few sets on scenics before.

it sounds exactly like a wheel bearing, but its the diff rumbling.

Oh Bugga, how difficult are they to change? Is it a case of 'Shafts out and then split the diff? Do they need pressing in? I assume they are a Renault only part?

Any good technique to narrow down if it is a driveshaft or the diff bearings? I wonder if running the car in gear, up on some axle stands might help me narrow it down?

Josh

DamirGTI

Hi !

I've also had similar sound like the wheel bearing or worn driveshaft , but only when going round a roundabout , and it was the engine rubbing on the chassis/body :ph34r: .. i couldn't believed that it was the engine , anyway i saw stripped paint/scratches on the inner wing/rail just beneath the top engine mount ..

Damir :)

Sign in to follow this