• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DrSarty

Gti6 Icv (idle Control Valve) Connections

Toddy

The four wires all go to the ECU.

At a guess each pair 2+3 & 1&4 will rotate the shaft clockwise or anticlockwise to allow more/less air into the plenum

to control the idle rpm.

HELP ME!

(Please)

DrSarty
The four wires all go to the ECU.

At a guess each pair 2+3 & 1&4 will rotate the shaft clockwise or anticlockwise to allow more/less air into the plenum

to control the idle rpm.

Hey that's cool thanks. So I can see what they do, it's just a matter of narrowing down exactly which pins pair up and then go to what pins on the Megasquirt ECU. I need to see on the ICV itself if the pins are numbered, which would make this easier.

Has anyone got a photo labelling these or even a circuit diagram?

I've learned this ICV jobbie is a pretty important piece of kit.

EDIT: Now doing a bit of research I can understand what this jobbie's all about. I'd heard it called stepper motor, and this Wiki explanation seems to fit in with Toddy's suggestion. So I can see what the 4 pins make the ICV do, I just need to isolate what the pins connect to in the {MS} ECU. Very clever stuff this.

Edited by DrSarty

Sandy

I don't know for a fact that it's the case, but as I understand, 2 wires operate the stepper motor, the other two feedback the valve position.

tom_m

it depends entirely on what type of stepper motor is in the iacv to start with. i'm interested to know too so i can set one up with my emerald

DrSarty
it depends entirely on what type of stepper motor is in the iacv to start with. i'm interested to know too so i can set one up with my emerald

Hmmm. I had a chat with Sandy and this situation looks quite sticky. I'm gonna do some hunting with MS experts such as Malachy, Anthony and MadProf and search MS forums to see what people have done in the past.

One suggestion is using the Mi16 one (ICV) which is simpler in function and connectivity.

Bottom line is it's gonna be awkward....or....we experiment with a SAD which is purely mechanical. Tempting.

EDIT: Sorry earlier I missed posting the Wiki link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor

This is a good read too if you know naff all (like me) about MS - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megasquirt, especially the links at the bottom over to the MS manual, FAQ & support forums*.

* - I suspect here is where I will find the answer, even it means using the ICV from another vehicle IF it states exactly how to connect it to my MS, as all of these ICVs perform the same function.

Edited by DrSarty

petert

I'm not sure if the 306 idle valve is two pairs or not. It certainly appears to be electrically. I have an unfinished project where I hooked the two pairs to a Haltech 4 wire output and failed to get it to work. So I'll be keen to hear of your results.

The Mi16 idle valve is only +ve and -ve. 5V will close it completely, 12V fully open, and 0V gives fault mode, opening it partially to give a fast idle (approx. 2000rpm). It needs a PWM output (pulse width modulation) to control it properly. I think 20ms does the trick from memory.

Super Josh

I'll check my documentation tonight, but I believe the the GTi6 ICV is two stepper motors, as stated above. One is pulsed to open the valve and the other pulsed to close it. Quite often with these type of valves, when the ECU is powered down it pulses the stepper motor a number of times in one direction so that it 'knows' where abouts it is positioned.

Josh

Miles

I'd go with a Bosch one as they are 95% more reliable than the MM Stepper motor's which always seem to give problems (It's Italian after all), Easy to install on the 6 inlet as well.

DrSarty

Thanks Pitcrew team+. :(

Sandy mentioned/explained :( PWM to me last night and I understand it...ish. We even spoke about batch firing the injectors (all 4 at once) off just one of the MS's 2 (I believe) inj outputs, leaving the other one to provide a PWM signal for the ICV possibly. Hmmm.

If you can find something Josh it'd be much appreciated as this stumbling block seems to have stirred a bit of interest. Even PeterT wants to see what I learn!!!

Miles. That's very interesting too. Which cars have a Bosch ICV? Is the Mi one a Bosch? And I gather you've fitted a Bosch one; so how was it wired up please?

And what about the idea of using a 1.9GTi (mechanical) SAD instead?

Questions questions eh!

:lol:

Edited by DrSarty

petert
Which cars have a Bosch ICV? Is the Mi one a Bosch? And I gather you've fitted a Bosch one; so how was it wired up please?

Plenty of Fords out here run a Bosch ICV via PWM. I've got one somewhere, which I'll dig up and post the part number.

Super Josh
If you can find something Josh it'd be much appreciated as this stumbling block seems to have stirred a bit of interest. Even PeterT wants to see what I learn!!!

Well as we suspected the GTi6 ICV is a stepper motor. The pinout is as follows

Pins A and D is one coil

Pins B and C is the other coil.

I wouldn't just rely on a SAD when you have the option of installing and controlling an ICV. As to which one I would use, well which ever one is supported by the MS hardware/software reliably. I reckon an Mi/S16 one would be more reliable as it has less to go wrong really.

HTH

Josh

DrSarty

Yes that is very helpful Josh, and I am wading through the MS Manual & forum (learning a lot) and have come across this,

On board stepper motor controller for IAC stepper control for most common EFI idle control motors (this requires a few jumpers to be added on the MegaSquirt® PCB to connect the socket jumpers to the DB37 connector)'

which is promising. It also says it supports "Fast Idle valves (PWM or on/off)."

I'll try and find an Mi ICV and see how it stacks up to the '6 one.

Perhaps this should be a fresh topic or added to my project page? For now though, any further help would be apprecated, but it's appearing that MS2 can cope with what I need.

EDIT: The above link is a fascinating read. I'm feeling quite positive about this, in so much as connectin now seems easy (to the DB73 MS connector - pence from Maplin) but the effort (and reward) will be in setting it up with Megatune.

Cybernck: (If you're reading) When you set-up your rear turbo'd Mi engine with MS, did you use the Mi ICV and set it up?

Edited by DrSarty

Sign in to follow this