• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jrod

Trying To Stop My Leak

Jrod

Right well I've sealed my whole car up, the only thing that now leaks is the heater and this causes a problem as it goes into the wiring and makes some vey dodgy noises, It even caused the fan to start coming on when switched off so I had to unplug it. :D

I've taken the scuttle panel off and this is what I see...

Whats supposed to stop water going down here? On mine it runs off the screen and straight down the hole into the fan and onto the wiring. :)

danpug

Isn't the scuttle panel solid above that area???

Jrod

Not on mine, the other side is though... :)

Jrod

Anyone got any ideas as to if there is supposed to be anything covering it?

Is the scuttle suposed to solid etc?

Quick update: I just covered the hole and poured water al over the front and not a drip inside so its 100% coming in the heater hole...

Edited by Jrod

DaveW

Is it me or does the ring around the top have a bit missing??

Jrod

I'm not sure, if anyone has a picture or could tell me how its supposed to be I'd be very grateful. :lol:

GLPoomobile

I noticed the missing chunk too.

The ring around the opening is there to stop water sloshing in when it collects in the scuttle area, which is inevitable. If there is a chunk missing you have a big problem there for a start.

I did think the the scuttle was solid directly above the opening, obviously to stop water going in from above, and that the vented area to allow airflow was slightly to one side of it. Now I'm not so sure as I looked for some pics earlier and could only find one, and it looked like it was vented right above the opening.

Jrod

DSC00802.jpg

Found this, so theres not supposed to be a flap or something covering it or soemthing along those lines like I thought there might be.

I don't think the bit missing in mine is what causes the problem but I'll double check.

The holes in the scuttle right above the heater let the rain go straight down into the heater motor. :lol:

Jrod

Well I don't think the chunk of rubber is missing as there is a little metal bit there where the gap is.

I'm sure there should be soemthing stopping water going down there!? :lol:

GLPoomobile

There is a flap inside the big hole, controlled by the dial on the dash. When you turn it, you'll notice some resistance going from the 'no airflow' position to the first airflow position, whih is the big flap opening up. This won't be water tight though.

I'm so sure (or at least I was :lol: ) that there shouldn't be vents in the scuttle panel right above the hole, for obvious reasons. Even looking at the attached picture it doesn't look right. If I remember, I'll have a look at mine tonight.

Jrod

I know I can turn it to the stop position and it does hold water suprisingly well but as soon as I open it it's all gonna flood in! :lol:

DaveW

Get another panel! should be blanked off over the hole :S

Jrod

Has anyone got a pic just to confirm this 100%...?

Jrod

Guess not then. :angry:

Well I got hold of another scuttle today and I think this will solve the problem, I didnt have this bit on mine and this covers the motor nicely. :)

post-8046-1204115407_thumb.jpg

DaveW

haha so did someone take it off?

Jrod

No idea. :wacko:

To be honest i've never noticed them having that bit on the bottom before but they must of!

Sign in to follow this