• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
McDude

Phase Ii Lights

McDude

I have recently bought a 91 H plate 1.9 and it has the Phase II lights, but I'm starting to think it shouldn't have. I also think that the previous owner f##ked the task up of fitting them because the reverse light lights up essentially where they should on phase I rather than on the lower valance.

I'm a bit confused and wondering how to rectify - I think I only need the proper reverse light for the valance and to mock up a bit of loom. Either that or there is a wierd electrical short.

t16ryan

H reg had both P1 and P2 lights fitted B)

McDude

Damn! That's no help B)

I'll have to do an exploratory look - I like the phase II lights, but I also like people not crashing into me and passing MOTs.

steve@cornwall

sounds as if the prev. owner has fitted ph2 lenses over ph1 lights!!!

McDude

Damnit! Steve, I think you are right.

Just been outside to look and that makes perfect sense. Okay, what do you reckon my best course of action is? I guess it is 50/50. Either fit a reverse light and plumb it in or get some phase I lenses. I'm kind of attached to the Phase IIs though.

jord294

imho, stick to originality B)

steve@cornwall
Damnit! Steve, I think you are right.

Just been outside to look and that makes perfect sense. Okay, what do you reckon my best course of action is? I guess it is 50/50. Either fit a reverse light and plumb it in or get some phase I lenses. I'm kind of attached to the Phase IIs though.

Source a set of ph2 lamps (and reverse) and re-wire as in the article on main site. (scrappy, ebay, or better still a forum wanted ad)

Does your gti have grey dash and interior plastics? If so it is one of the last ph 1.5s - plenty of these on a "H" plate. I was going to change mine back to all ph 1.5, indicators, rear lights and even 1.6 wheels - but on trial fitting some 1.5 lenses, I couldn't live without the Ph2s ! so left the non-original bits on and added an auto-bonnet - all due to the ph2 rear lights.

TurboSam

That must of been a very late registered phase 1.5, my 1990 car has all black plastics and phase 2 trim B)

Ryan

They should be fully phase 2 from about sept/oct 1990 onwards.

McDude

I've ordered some phase I lenses from eBay - it can go back to original for the time being. I'll probably keep it that way too as I want it to look as PSA intended.

I now wonder what phase I have 1? 1.5? 2?

I have red carpets, the dash is the newer shape and is dark grey (rather than black). The seats are the black/red ones. Looks like my rear lights are phase Is!!!

I'm guessing phase 1.5 - I used to have a phase II with grey carpets/black dash. It was an L-plate cat model.

welshpug

definitely one of the last P1.5's you have there :)

GLPoomobile
sounds as if the prev. owner has fitted ph2 lenses over ph1 lights!!!

My thoughts exactly Steve!

Even if it wasn't wired up properly I wouldn't expect this to be possible.

jodycraw

It's not possible - the lens is a different fitting to the cluster arrangement underneath, so it doesn't fit. Might be Ph 2 light units wired incorrectly.

Also you don't need a reverse light to pass the MOT, mine doesn't have one. The reverse lights didnt work on the Ph1 lights either though!

steve@cornwall
It's not possible - the lens is a different fitting to the cluster arrangement underneath, so it doesn't fit. Might be Ph 2 light units wired incorrectly.

Also you don't need a reverse light to pass the MOT, mine doesn't have one. The reverse lights didnt work on the Ph1 lights either though!

Direct fit!

post-7883-1204033744_thumb.jpg

post-7883-1204033757_thumb.jpg

This is a ph2 cluster -

post-7883-1204033879_thumb.jpg

McDude

I love you steve@cornwall

I was getting worried as my phase 1 lenses are in the post - my MOT is out of date at the end of the month too so I really want it sorted.

Quick edit to add that the love I have for steve@cornwall is purely a hetro love - no ideas now!

Edited by McDude

steve@cornwall
I love you steve@cornwall

I was getting worried as my phase 1 lenses are in the post - my MOT is out of date at the end of the month too so I really want it sorted.

Quick edit to add that the love I have for steve@cornwall is purely a hetro love - no ideas now!

:);):)

McDude

I fitted the Phase I lenses and everything is alright!

However, the half-jobbing of the previous owner is despairing - he had obviously realised that everything wasn't quite right because he has padded and taped over the top bit of the indicator so that it wouldn't show up on the phase II lens. He used toilet paper and parcel tape!!! On the NSR light the parcel tape had melted to the indicator bulb from the heat.

I've got my fingers crossed that he didn't turn his hand to anything more serious - drinking straws for brake pipes? chicken bones for conrods?

steve@cornwall - you are on my valentine's card list.

GLPoomobile

You didn't buy it off that Welsh geezer did you? The one who was in the paper a while back after getting banned from driving cos he had bits of rolled up carpet in place of his bumpers and used cooking oil as brake fluid :D

McDude
You didn't buy it off that Welsh geezer did you? The one who was in the paper a while back after getting banned from driving cos he had bits of rolled up carpet in place of his bumpers and used cooking oil as brake fluid :D

What? Do you mean that the phase 1.5s didn't come with paisley patterened bumpers as standard? :lol:

Sign in to follow this