• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt-k

Do I Need A Fuel Relay?

matt-k

As above really ive wired my facet pump to a live and earthed it to the body so it comes on with the ignition. Is this ok or do i need to wire the pump using the original pumps wireing at the tank so the relays on the system. What does the relay do exactly?? :)

Thank You. Matt.

Anthony

I wouldn't suggest wiring it to be live with ignition, as in the event of an big accident it's a major fire risk.

Run it using the original relay that is only live when the engine is running.

Tom Fenton

The other way to do this safely is to get a fuel pump inertia cut-off switch, and wire it inline with the pump. In the event of a big shunt the switch is tripped and cuts the fuel pump supply. These are easily available on lots of modern cars in the scrapyard, I believe some Fords (Mondeo?) are a good source, they are located behind the kick panel next to the drivers feet IIRC.

matt-k

So using the relay is for safety reasons. Thanks guys.

DrSarty
So using the relay is for safety reasons. Thanks guys.

Yes. The Mi16 ECU and many others, including my Volvo, make the fuel pump operate for around half a second when you turn on the key. The 'tachy' relay on the standard 205s does the same job. It just primes the line, but requires an ignition signal for it to keep pumping.

As a result, in a prang and when the engine stops, the signal to the ECU/tachy relay stops and hence stops the fuel pump continually working.

These inertia switches do exactly the same in the event of a prang in so much as they trip as a result of force and cut-out the power to the pump. The only issue is that if you turn only the ignition on without the 'tachy relay effect', then your pump will keep running.

pugrallye

Normally, its advisable to wire in a fuel pump relay, for two reasons, your not running 2.5mm wire everywhere, which is expensive and heavy and you can also turn the system on and off via a multitude of sources.

Its usually good policy to wire relay in via a oil pressure switch... engine off pump doesnt run, one way valves will ensure the line pretty much remains primed. Most cars running post jetronic injection will have a fuel pump controlled by a relay (nothing special) via the engine ECU so will self prime whether it be an ignition cycle or drivers door opening, older versions of management will have a timer controlled relay, which is expensive and prone to failure, which will pulse the fuel pump according to demand

Sign in to follow this