• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
monty69

1.9 Mi16 Gearbox Strong As S16/vts Box?

monty69

Just been looking at ratios and figured my carb s16 engine got 1.6 box with 1.9mi fd. No wonder i get zero traction on setoff, which then makes the silly drop between 1st and 2nd even worse. B) Its like revving it in neutral as soon as i touch throttle!! So after reading up ive decided on 1.9 mi box, but just a few questions before i spend some money - hope it hasnt been coverd too much already!

Is 1.9mi box as strong as s16 and vts box, particularly diff?

Do i need to look out for particular year or are they all same?

Will 205 1.9 shafts fit without messing?

I will be using ramp at work so box needs to be swapped on a saturday without any hiccups, hence all the questions. I will have 1.6 box with mi final drive up for grabs soon... :)

Hilgie

No the Mi box has the weaker diff....the S16/VTS box is a fair bit stronger. The short 205 driveshaft won't fit though. You'd have to put the gearbox side of a VTS/S16 on.

andychalmers

Monty says "Just been looking at ratios and figured my carb s16 engine got 1.6 box with 1.9mi fd"

Then Monty says "So after reading up ive decided on 1.9 mi box"

Just to clarify you have a 1.6 GTI box with a 4.4CWP from a MI16?

& you want a standard MI 16 box with a 4.4CWP?

The only difference between the two is some of the gears may be slightly different. So no real gain.

I ran a 200bhp 205 MI16 yrs ago and had a few boxes, 1.6 & 1.9 GTI boxes were to high geared so fitted a 4.4 CWP into a later 1.9 gearbox plus fitted a quiafe LSD, this did the trick well.

Hilgie says "No the Mi box has the weaker diff....the S16/VTS box is a fair bit stronger. The short 205 driveshaft won't fit though. You'd have to put the gearbox side of a VTS/S16 on."

I was under the impression the S16 is a BE3 box & the VTR is a MA box so the MA box is not compatible. The be3 box & standard diff is by far stronger than a MA box & diff. The BE box fits 205 GTI's etc, the MA box fits TU engines like the 205 rallye & 106 VTS etc.

My advise Monty, stick with your box & fit a LSD. You will have traction from 2 wheels not just 1, this will help stop wheel spin, you'll not break the diff, plus the other way to stop wheel spin is less right foot.

Hope this helps

nick

I don't think he means Saxo vts, i'm assuming he means Xsara vts.

Nick

All Praise The GTI

my short shaft fitts in the vts box with no problems :)

only done about a mile in it tho! but no signs of any leaks

monty69

The reason im getting rid of 1.6 box is it revs at 4000 at 70mph and gets Zero traction in 1st gear with heavy s16 engine 30psi eagle f1s even tyre wear! Plus the 1.6 has a stupid long gap between 1st and 2nd.So looking at gear ratio posts the mi has longer gears than 1.6 with mi fd. Theres no point in having an mi if you have to half throttle it to avoid wheelspin. I will look into lsd when i supercharge it.

taylorspug

My short shaft fits and doesnt leak, although it doesnt push all the way home like it does in a 205 or MI box. Ive had no problems running it on my GTI-6 so far, and ive got one on a customers cars with no problems reported.

And yes Hilgie means a Xsara not a Saxo VTS, and these use XU engines, identical to a GTI-6, and later style BE boxes.

Anulfo

So to revive this thread the 2 peugeot 306's namely the GTi-6 and the S16(later the XSi) did they both have 4.4cwp final drive???As im scouring breakers yards and you just aint going to find an Mi-16 anywhere!!!Found a company T2performance that will do you a new CWP for £245 but it would work out more economical to source a 2nd hand part!!

Miles

Only the Xsara and S16 use the 4.4 CWP, You can;t use the GTi6 one anyway as the output shaft is too long,

I normally keep the 4.4's in stock

Anulfo

Do you have any in stock at the moment??

tombo

i ran a 1.6box with a 1.9 mi final drive and thought it was fantastic. she was around 180bhp. but you could control the power, i managed to get traction if i didnt drive it to stupid. be smoother delivering the power and it is fine. acceleration was immense and it was great around town too. just get an lsd. best box for an mi if you ask me.

philfingers

anyone who's interested I have an excel file which explains the gearing, drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you,

Phil

Sign in to follow this