• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
brianthemagical

Lambda Sensor Positioning

brianthemagical

as above pretty much. i'm fitting a lambda sensor to my 8v with standard split downpipe. wheres best to fit it, specifically and preferably with pics. more for clearence issues. thanks for any help.

ablister

best place to fit it is wherever you can on the downpipe. Doesn't make a huge difference where exactly as long as it receives all the gases from the 4 cylinders

Rob Turbo

When I fitted one for a mate when he put an s16 engine in his 205 I put it just after the split had stopped, the wires needed extending though.

CaptainK

Mine is about 4 inches forward of the CAT (i.e. between CAT and manifold)

brianthemagical

thanks for the replys. so just after the join seems to be the best idea. is it going to be ok being level to the ground, or is there enough clearence to have it pointing up slighty? i have had a look under my car i'm just concerned about clearence if the exhaust moves/vibrates. thanks again.

Rob Turbo

I put it in so the wires were pointing up slightly, apparently it's best to have them at a bit of an angle so that moisture doesn't sit in them, although I've seen them the opposite way around even on factory exhausts so don't know how true it is

brianthemagical
I put it in so the wires were pointing up slightly, apparently it's best to have them at a bit of an angle so that moisture doesn't sit in them, although I've seen them the opposite way around even on factory exhausts so don't know how true it is

i was thinking along the line of the moisture ingress, by the sounds of it doesn't make too much difference then. although i'm thinking more water comes out of my exhaust than new cars, which could cause more of a problem.

Owain1602

How quickly you want it to start reading is also a consideration? Does it have an inbuilt heater?

If yours has a heater then it can be positioned anywere suitable but if it does not have a heater then ideally it should be positioned fairly soon along the exhaust so it heats up quicker.

Tom Fenton

Thats how I did mine

Photo-0197.jpg

Batfink

the water issue is in fact inside the exhaust - not the wires. The lambda should be angled about 15degrees down to prevent water accumilating on it and buggering it up

brianthemagical

Thanks for all of the above. IT's a wideband with LC-1, so heated.

Batfink: thanks, that helps alot.

Tom Fenton: is the boss non-perpedicular to the pipe? i hadn't really thought of that but i think it makes fitting easier.

thanks again for all the help.

Sign in to follow this