• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Compiling Info On Steel Wheels (steelies)

screwloose

I recently purchased a nearly new set from a chap on 306gti6 forum. They were fitted to the GTI6 he'd just bought but he didn't like the look. These are exactly the same as the ones GTI6 BOY has fitted to his pug. I'll try and get them fitted and get some pics up. they are part number 5401h7.

Anulfo

Am i right in thinking the red 205CTi on the black steelies pictured in this thread was done by Colin at Pug Performance?

DaveW

GLpoo the 306 ph1 xsi came with 15' steel wheels as standard.

GTI6BOY
Am i right in thinking the red 205CTi on the black steelies pictured in this thread was done by Colin at Pug Performance?

He built me the engine 3 years ago yes, and 1 year ago transfered the engine over to my cti but i done every thing else...whys that?

jonnygoodhand
Are these steel or the special lightweight alloys?: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-Steel-Road-W...7QQcmdZViewItem

I think they're steel. I asked the seller a while back how thick the 'steel' was and and it's approx. 3mm (apparently the alloy ones are closer to 5mm). Also, they're ET18, whereas the alloy ones are ET19 according to the comments at the opening of this thread.

Gentrix
I think they're steel. I asked the seller a while back how thick the 'steel' was and and it's approx. 3mm (apparently the alloy ones are closer to 5mm). Also, they're ET18, whereas the alloy ones are ET19 according to the comments at the opening of this thread.

No, the alloys are ET 18 - take a look at my picture it says 6x15 ET 18.

andi

davemar

Trying to follow this thread, and got so confused I fell off my chair. :blush:

I thinking I might refurbish my 15" 205 1.9 GTi alloys (19 years of hard wear on them), and do them one at a time, rotating them while keeping the car on the road. So having a cheapo steel wheel spare is something I've got my eye on.

So if I went to a scrappy, what cars should I look out for that have steels (don't car how ugly!) that will fit?

monty69

They are the alloy ones ive just bought them!!! BARGAIN. Right to clear this topic up once and for all on the light weight c5 "steelies"

Mine still have citroen stickers on and says 5401.Q8, they have same stamped number as the one gentrix posted. Ideally you want to be using the proper c5 bolts for these with spinning taper washers,although not sure if thread same?

The best way to find if they are the alloy ones is to simply ask the seller if a magnet will stick, if the anser is no then they are the alloy ones! Many thanks to sandy and gentix

welshpug

aaaargh!!! I nearly bought those but I had no money :)

kyepan

do these fit over 283mm hdi calipers?

Grim.Badger

Just to confuse maters more, I was under the impression that the original C5 alloy 15" wheels were discontinued at some point to be replaced by a 16" steel wheel so it may be that service box no longer stores the original part number (unlikely though) ;)

kyepan

did a search on krono.. whotsit company

PS 815011 Citroën C 5 03/01-09/04 6 J x15 H2 18 4 x 108 x 65 17,969 Ft 21,563 Ft

umm.. a picture

so only available from 01-04... perhaps that explains the service box thing..

Edited by kyepan

jonnygoodhand

I've just spoken with someone who thinks he may have a set of these in his stock room, but the only number he can find is '9406.54'. Does this mean anything to anyone?

kyepan

did we ever work out how much the

5401 h7's weighed

5401 L7 and 5401 l8 are available.

cheers

J

monty69

My c5 wheels fit over 280mm gti6 brakes, bolts are same thread.

timmsy19

did anyone clear up is pug/cit still sell any of the C5 Steelies that monty69 has?

kyepan

citroen still sell the c5 wheel with tapered holes, they're about 63 per wheel + vat.

keep you're eyes peeled on ebay as that's where i got mine from

kyepan
citroen still sell the c5 wheel with tapered holes, they're about 63 per wheel + vat.

keep you're eyes peeled on ebay as that's where i got mine from

your local pug parts desk (with whom i would highly recommend striking up a friendship with) will be able to access the citroen parts site and order them.

cheers

J

timmsy19
did we ever work out how much the

5401 h7's weighed

5401 L7 and 5401 l8 are available.

cheers

J

right i have a set of the 5401.H7 which weigh in at 7kg exactly and look like this:

post-7612-1240596699_thumb.jpg

Loose Hand Luke

I know this is a massive revival of this thread, BUT, I thought it'd be better than starting a new one as there's a load of info already in it!

My first question is:

Are people running 15" "steelies" because:

a) there's a weight saving if you can get the ally C5 item,

B) 15" dia wheels are easier to get track or performance road tires for than say, a 14" rim

c) they look good (retro cool!)

or

d) all of the above?

My last question is:

When choosing new steel rims for a 205 Rallye (no arch extensions) do people recommend/prefer 14" rims or 15" ???

The main reason I'm asking is I prefer the "multiple round holes" steel wheels to the standard Rallye style steel rims and I'm trying to decide what to find through a dealer or second hand, but I don't want to destroy the handling of the car or make it look ridiculous.

The ability to fit reasonably good tires for a reasonable price would be a bonus too!

welshpug

well if you read the thread you'd get all three answers :lol:

as to the last one, not sure but its usually quite tight with either 14 or 15 as they are both 6" wide, though the 14" tyres used tend to be 185 not 195.

Loose Hand Luke

well if you read the thread you'd get all three answers :lol:

as to the last one, not sure but its usually quite tight with either 14 or 15 as they are both 6" wide, though the 14" tyres used tend to be 185 not 195.

I was thinking that a 14" rim/tyre combo might suit the car better. I've got some 1.9 speedlines I was going to use, but they're very heavy and when I used to run my old XS on them with 195/45/15 they scrubbed badly on the rear arches.

Maybe some 6J14 multi "round-holed" steels with suitable 185 tyres would help with that and be better for the handling?

The car with have a VTR lump in it so shouldn't struggle to turn 15's though, and they might be better for motorway miles? Not sure how much difference the dia of those rims will make to those points I've mentioned.

allye

15' wheels on a Rallye would scrub very bad as it the same as a XS, 14inch 106 Rallye steeles look the best and you can just about get away with the 6inch wide ones!

Although the very best wheels are those super rare peper pot style PTS rims! - Although thats not very helpful rolleyes.gif