• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anton green

2.0turbo 8valve To 16valve

Anton green

After reading an ebook which states this is possible, I would like to pick ppls brains here for a mo. I own a 2.0 8valve turbo engine 406spec and apparently a head from an XU10 16valve unit will fit on with oil and waterways lining up.

After this I presume it will need an aftermarket ECU, Inlet manifold from a 16v unit, exhaust manifold for a 16V head to a turbo, timing belt and tensioner. Apparently the compression ratio will be fine - any thoughts on this? Then a few runs on a rolling road.

What are peoples views on this idea? It would be good to know if it is possible.

Thanks

Henry Yorke

Have a look on Gerbens www.205turbo.nl site for some guidance as he did that. Yes you do need management to run that setup. Standard 16v inlet will work but the exhaust manifold will need to be made.

Richie-Van-GTi

you can retain the current management and take it to automark in stokesly (near m'bro) as he can remap the standard eprom system. Hes very highly reccomended and very well priced.

max0

im 99% rob turbo on here tried a 16v head on his old turbo and timed it up. Its on the forum somewhere - maybe he will see the post and reply

Anton green

I'll continue looking in to it as the replies here sound promising:). Unfortunately Gerbens www.205turbo.nl site is down or not responding but sent him a PM if he still uses the forum. cheers all

Rob Turbo

I tried it but never had it running, the head does fit, everything lines up fine, you will need the bottom pulley and timing pinion from a 16v engine so the timing belt from a 16v engine will fit, the hole for the second tensioner is already there and tapped ready to bolt the tensioner on.

One thing to note though, if you have a 406 engine you will have the dished pistons which will hit the valves, you either need to have valve cut outs machined into the pistons or get flat pistons (or the full block) from an xm, I think 605's might have the flat pistons also.

Anton green

Hey Rob, I've just been reading your threads for the past hour, glad you made it here!

My engine is actually from an XM (I have just been reading through the history of the engine again) so this is good news regarding valve clearances, thanks for that.

I haven't finished reading all the information out there yet -is there any reason why your engine wasn't ever run?

Cheers, Anton

Edited by Anton green

Rob Turbo

To be on the safe side you should make sure the pistons are flat, I'm not 100% sure that all xm's had the flat pistons, fairly sure, but not 100%!!

It was never run because I was rebuilding the full car and building the engine, I ended up having an absolute fortune in it and was starting to loose interest so I cut my losses and sold up (taking a loss of about 1.5-2k!!), I regret it now and again but there's nothing I can do about it now!

I'm planning on doing the same again but with another engine so I can still drive the car while I do the engine, need to finish the 8v first though!

Ant

Removed my turbo head this weekend and the pistons were dished ( 605 2.0 turbo lump )

Regards

Ant

tom_m

the rgx should have the dished pistons and the rgy should have the flat tops

its misleading because the higher compression engine has the dished pistons.

Anton green

I have been looking in to this and thinking it over some more. 210bhp seems about the standard turbos' limit(?) this can be gotten with the 8valve head on the engine. So to go to the trouble of changing the head over I would want to be shooting for at LEAST 235bhp. This would mean a bigger turbo is needed, which then has me concerned about the standard limits of the other internal components of the engine. Does anyone know much about the weak areas of this engine and how much they can safely and reliably take, as they obviously weren't designed to give this kind of performance?

Thanks, Anton

Edited by Anton green

rex

"its misleading because the higher compression engine has the dished pistons. "

That what I thought too after seeing both open. My RGY lump has flat pistons but the block does seem identical to the XU104J it's currently sat next too.

tom_m
I have been looking in to this and thinking it over some more. 210bhp seems about the standard turbos' limit(?) this can be gotten with the 8valve head on the engine. So to go to the trouble of changing the head over I would want to be shooting for at LEAST 235bhp. This would mean a bigger turbo is needed, which then has me concerned about the standard limits of the other internal components of the engine. Does anyone know much about the weak areas of this engine and how much they can safely and reliably take, as they obviously weren't designed to give this kind of performance?

Thanks, Anton

there are dutch examples running a whole heap more than 230 on a standard bottom end with the 8v head. the blocks are plenty strong enough, Will Gollops old rally cross xsara was based on an iron block 16v xu10. its still going strong and still winning races in the current championship.

My RGY lump has flat pistons but the block does seem identical to the XU104J it's currently sat next too.

that's what i've found too with an 8v turbo and an s16 sat next to each other

mwilcock

you must have the same ebook as me anton.

i was looking into this too, it involved , an s16 head, gti6 inlet, and an s16 exhaust manifold somehow fabricated with the turbo flange, or even upgrade to the t28 which comes standard on the 200sx , s14 i fink.

Mikey S

anton, i can confirm yours has flat top pistons mate. :blush:

mwilcock

let me know wot happens about this please anton.

cheers..

Edited by mwilcock

Anton green
my ebook is an adobe document called peugeot-turbo-conversion, bought from ebay. This is what originally got me thinking and looking for real information to use. Cheers for the heads up on the 200sx turbochargers mwilcock, I'll keep those in mind when I begin looking into what turbos to use. For the sake of people searching this thread later, for a manifold I have been speaking to Pieter at DP engineering in Holland. Edited by Anton green

mwilcock

i looked on there too, there something like 600quid??

must be a way of using an s16 manifold and welding the turbo flange on - if thats possible lol

cybernck

i could be able to source a T16 exhaust manifold, it fits straight on the S16 head (and Mi16 with some drilling :blush:).

Bally
i could be able to source a T16 exhaust manifold, it fits straight on the S16 head (and Mi16 with some drilling :blush:).

It sure does. Thanks again mate

Anton green

Thanks cybernck I will let you know.

danpug

What sort of cost do t16 manifolds sell for??

welshpug

Pug list price - 034171 EXH MANIFOLD 774.50 GBP 910.04 GBP,

not that far off the price of a DP-engineering item infact (924.15 Euro's inc Vat for mild steel, 1143.70 in SS)

Sign in to follow this