• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skanny

Footwell Bungs Letting In Water

skanny

I have stripped the rear of the car out today to fit the rollcentre cage and i was planing on leaving the red interior carpet but when i pulled it forwards into the rear footwells it was sodden.

I have taken the leberty to remove the whole carpet from the car and the black under carpet sound deadening is absolutely wringing wet.

I trust that the water will have been coming on round the bungs in the rear footwell?

And what that hell is the point of that 3 hole arrangement thing in the drivers and passengers footwells! it aint even in the lowest part of the well so it aint there to let you drain out your spilt stella is it, all its managed to do in my car it let in a shed load of water.

Is this a common problem on 205s?

Fortunately there is not much rust under the carpet.

Edited by skanny

GLPoomobile

I'm sure a search will bring up a plethora of results for you to read through.

Yes, leaking 205s are extremely common. As common as broken coin trays, dead rear beams, unstable idle and dodgy starting faults B)

Loads of things could be the cause of the leak, so don't assume it's the bungs or those holes in the floor.

brian j
I'm sure a search will bring up a plethora of results for you to read through.

Yes, leaking 205s are extremely common. As common as broken coin trays, dead rear beams, unstable idle and dodgy starting faults ;)

Loads of things could be the cause of the leak, so don't assume it's the bungs or those holes in the floor.

Try starting with rear 1/4 window seals, tailgate rubber, rear lamp cluster seals. They seem to be the usual suspects.

If the front footwells are wet too, it coulld be the bulkhead seam sealer has split (in the corners where it joins the inner wing and plenum up behind the dash.

The rest are the usual car spots: door membranes, windscreen seal, rubbers etc.

Do it one at a time and if you have the carpet out, take the rear 1/4 trims off and the rear seat out and take it through a carwash or have a friend pressure wash it. It makes it much easier to see where the water is getting in.

Sign in to follow this