• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest RichEdwins

[project] My New 205... With A Honda Heart :-)

anderoo

Looks like you've taken a hole punch to the inside!

I'd be nervous of any tailgaters. :lol:

ultimatepug

any updates on this one?

Sandy

Engine's in, it'll get a heap done over the next few weeks.

dan_cole69

get some pics up! :lol:

tracktoy

love this one- thats a lot of holes to cut in the rear, be interesting to see what the final weight is :)

ravydavy

Hi anymore updates on this thread it's sweet. And I love the idea of the Honda engine. Basically fit and forget.

Regards David

Guest U 3VOM

what are those arches off and whats involved in fitting them?

tracktoy

love the wide stance, looks very aggressive

GLPoomobile

Updates please! What's the latest?

Ludi

It looks like a really suicide car.

But I like it.A lot.

:lol:

trialster

updates please if there are any :rolleyes:

Batfink

i think its waiting for mapping. Not sure its moved from Colins in a while as it was in its usual place lol. Colin did say (may need a loom by sandy) but I forgot.....

Death_Machine

would love to see the rev range! on this thing! between gears anyway what will it pill to dont vtecs go to like 10 k or something not really into honda cars just fireblades but you have changed me nice job loving the clean bright white everywhere

A2TheA

will be very interesting to see what this 'thing' handles like on track with all of these holes in the rear.

ill just add my name to the list of jealous ones :D

top job so far

Edited by A2TheA

cybernck

anything behind the rear part of the roll cage and rear suspension pickup points isn't really required in this case :).

porter_bmx

what size wheels are you running?? i have the same arch's as you and im thinking of how im going to fill them

:lol:

Edited by porter_bmx

Sandy

7x15s, but the suspension is wider than normal.

Spiky

very cool car and in the flesh it's cooler :D

some very interseting and cool mods :(

cant wait to see this at a track i'm at :wub:

andychalmers
will be very interesting to see what this 'thing' handles like on track with all of these holes in the rear.

You actually can cut everything from the rear of the suspension out to save weight as its not needed as long as you have a good weld in cage. I have a Harry Hockley Suzuki Swift rally car and it went for a HH lightening experience. Was like a long haired boy going in the Army and coming out bald :lol: The doors and all rear sound so tinney as everything has been cut out, literally, as the cage gives everthing the strength.

Sandy

Today I bit the bullet and mad some progress. Once the thing was on its wheels, we'd had to catch up on our race car stuff and that continued through the season. Out of it's parking place now:

OctBlog02.JPG

Rich wanted one of Colin's spherical jointed gear linkage set ups, rather than the original cables. because one of the lever on the box works in reverse of the BE box, it was designed for, Colin made a lovely pivot lever, which sadly is out of this pic, but the bellcrank on the subframe is visible in all it's chunky glory:

OctBlog03.JPG

How it's looking currently inside the car:

OctBlog04.JPG

I'll be cracking on with the wiring shortly, but I wanted to get the engine sorted out first. It had been smoking a little in the 309 and I suspected old/hardened stem seals; also running it often without filters, meant some valve seat recession was likely, so a head rebuild seemed prudent. On removing the head, the cylinder bores looked in really good shape. The bores are fibre reinforced alloy in this engine and very durable. No signs of scuffing or ridging, which is good.

Most of the engines I've been doing recently are Peugeot TU and XU, so very familiar. As soon as I get a Honda head on the bench, the sheer quality of the castings and machining is immediately apparent! This is Honda tech of 1991 really, but Peugeot still haven't caught it up! The ladder plates overthe cams serve to greatly improve the valve train stiffness and hence precision. They also carry the shower lubrication of the cams and followers:

OctBlog05.JPG

With the cams removed you can see the VTEC assembly on the right of this pic (the other side is removed, making the valves/springs visible:

OctBlog06.JPG

There's three cam followers per cylinder as you can see. The outer two operate the valves normally, from mild cam lobes. On this head, they pivot on a large shaft (on the left of these), the cam operates on the polished pads and opens the valves (on the right of this pic) at about 1.55:1 ratio (1.55mm valve lift = 1mm cam lift).

The middle rocker follows the VTEC cam lobe, but is normally just floating on a spring fitted beneath it (lost motion assembly). When the VTEC solenoid is activated, by oil pressure down the shaft, two pins lock the three lobes per cylinder together, so both valves open according to the VTEC cam lobe, which is wilder than the other lobes and overrides them. Dead simple really, but incredibly cleverly executed and unbelievably reliable in standard form!

If you're really eagle eyed, you'll notice this head has doiuble valve springs as standard (as do most DOHC VTEC engines).

Back when a Type-R really was something special, (ahem), the red cam cover indicated that the engine employed a number of specific improvements, that raised it above the rest of the engine range. Most notably, the ports would be hand finished. As far as I'm aware, the Accord was the last production TR engine to have this. CTR engines are just machined. On this head, it's only the throat blending that has been done by hand and it would appear, only on the inlet side, but it's one of those little reminders of how much passion the engineers that created it had!

OctBlog07.JPG

OctBlog08.JPG

Once stripped,the head seems much simpler and you can see where the "lost motion" spring sits in this pic:

OctBlog09.JPG

There's alot of bits come out of it!

http://www.goodhand.co.uk/sandy/files/OctBlog10.JPG

Bonzai

Considering the old theory, the less you put in, the less things to go wrong, its a really incredible thing to get your head around. Thanks for the pics :ph34r:

EdCherry

Nice to see an update on the car! Lets hope its not as long a gap till the next one :ph34r:

Also nice to know how the VTEC finally works, always wondered really and pictures speak thousands as one might say.

base-1

Well pleased to see progress on this one :)

Cloverleaf

Maybe I should combine my 2.2 Prelude (when I eventually get around to doing something to it!) and my 309 :)

Car looks awesome. Can't wait to see it finished

Edited by Cloverleaf

frobes2

Wow, great reading.. need more.. any more updates..

Scott.