• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M_R_205

[body_work] My Little 1.6 Project

M_R_205

And after a bit of primer, looks perfect :P

DSCN1868.jpg

Pics of the rest of the engine bay in primer

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/con...ar/DSCN1867.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/con...ar/DSCN1866.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/con...ar/DSCN1865.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/con...ar/DSCN1864.jpg

Bulk head is next, luckily theres no rust to fix there, just loads of cables hanging about ;)

For some reason this project seems to be taking ages, i think i should book a holdinday get it fixed up quicker lol :D

Edited by M_R_205

ALEX

Ahhhh.. If you plan on taking that to a "Proper" Paint shop they are not going to like that you've primed it!

They strip anything like that back to bare metal as a precaution....precawtion.... precasion... pre... Just incase it reacts with the paint they spray on it!

I made the same mistake myself ! :P

Thats me in the pic! (how the F**k did I take that photo :blush:)

I'm not having a dig or anything, but even tho I'm sure your quite capable of geting a mint finsh with a rattle can, It will never be as good as it could be if done properly using the right (expensive) gear and an oven.

But it's only the engine bay, so i'll let you off. ;) .

BTW as promissed

Edited by ALEX

ALEX

Wow that brings back memories

Even though it was only about 5 years ago and I still remember the low point's (like when i nearly got kicked out of the house)

I still think it was worth it!

Edit:- just remembered another low point!

I'd droped the nut that holds the plastic HT wire holder to the cam cover down one of the bores.

Don't worry Hugh! I found it before starting up "that" engine, but not before striping most the engine first to find out why it would turn over by hand!

For those who don't know a couple of years later I built another engine with band new pistons and liners and a Dave baker (pumaracing) gasflowed head. I had to do it this way as I was only just back on talking terms with my mum at the time and she only gave me a week to use the garage to swap the engines over!

Hugh (grimbadger) has the engine now (If he still has it) in the pic above!

Edited by ALEX

Grim.Badger
Hugh (grimbadger) has the engine now (If he still has it) in the pic above!

I've still got it, but it hasn't done anything since last August when the oil dipstick pipe decided to come lose (snapped its weld) and I shed all my oil over a roundabout just a couple of days before I sorned it ;)

As these engines aren't worth much I will be keeping it for my next 205 as my graphite is due a date with the crusher, that is if I ever get around to stripping it.

Sorry for the thread hijack :blush:

p.s. could you come and do some welding for me :P

M_R_205

As im on a bit of a budget im doing the engine bay with rattle cans :huh: finnish wont be perfect but better than it was,

Thats one good looking engine bay, if mine looks half as good as that il be over the moon :P

as for the welding i think that was a flook, i did a litle bit on my red gti last night and it was rather messy B) i kept blowing through, then when i turned the heat down it wouldnt penetrate (first time iv had that problem ;) teehee )

Edited by M_R_205

Tom Fenton

Very tidy job of the strut top repair, well done.

M_R_205

A little more progress today, i primered the whole engine bay, and gave it its first coat of blue, unfortunaltley just the 1 coat as i ran out B) the color looked a slight different shade to the rest of the car but il wait till tomorrow before i get upset lol,

IMG_1560.jpg

Also did the engine in primer as i had loads left :)

IMG_1559.jpg

Edited by M_R_205

Grim.Badger

Did you mask mounting points off, or are you going to rub the primer off again? Looks a bit wierd seeing an engine completely grey, looks like its in Silent Hill ;) What colour is it going to be in the end?

Iirc there are several shades of Miami blue, I think paintguy has a swatch of them, so it probably is a slightly different shade.

p.s. My engine is getting crushed on Saturday along with the shell, I'm not happy but didn't have time to remove it :lol:

M_R_205
Did you mask mounting points off, or are you going to rub the primer off again? Looks a bit wierd seeing an engine completely grey, looks like its in Silent Hill :huh: What colour is it going to be in the end?

Iirc there are several shades of Miami blue, I think paintguy has a swatch of them, so it probably is a slightly different shade.

p.s. My engine is getting crushed on Saturday along with the shell, I'm not happy but didn't have time to remove it :(

Mounting points are going to get sanded yea, the engine will end up in silver to keep the standard look,

As for the engine bay the color is a tiny bit off but unless your comparing the wings to the bay you wont notice at all :D

Why is you shell/engine getting crushed.. what did you do... <_<

Grim.Badger
Why is you shell/engine getting crushed.. what did you do... :D

The more I stripped down the more rust I found. Both headlight panels were a mess, one had a big hole all around the weld where it met the front panel and inner arch, the other was just a huge mass of rust. All four side mounts for the bumpers had completely gone, there was a lump of rust on the underside that looked like half a golf ball, the boot floor was full of small spots of thick rust and the area around the beam mounting points was crumbling (although the mounting points themselves were fine), there was thick surface rust in spots all around the engine bay and front panel, I'd already had one chasis leg repaired and a strut top (which needed doing again properly). The bottoms of the door pillars also looked like they had rusted through, the paint was bubbling in places, the bonnet was fu***d and needed replacing or a full respray and to top it off I'd hit a gate post and dented and scratched all down the passenger rear quarter.

Its sat at the scrappy at the moment, it was meant to have been crushed on Saturday but I went to pick up the beam today that I'd removed on Friday and the car was still there, if I can find time I will go over and get the engine but its unlikely :(

Unfortunately I had to get rid of it as I needed my garage to fix my other car so I didn't have time to strip it, the front seats have already been trashed by the forklift, I can't get the looms like I wanted as its a good days work to get them out intact, I also wanted my immobiliser and there are a good pair of brakes and shafts going to waste never mind all the interior trim. I'm also pi***d off becuase I had the sense to get the tailgate which was practically immaculate and then knocked it over when I was moving wheels about so now its scratched :)

I'm now 205less but my Fiesta is a surprisingly similar car once your used to it, especially once you have renewed all the mounts :) Its also much easier and cleaner to work on :D Funnily enough it needs rust work as well even though its only 6 years old, but thankfully its only minor.

Sorry for the rant :lol:

Edited by Grim.Badger

M_R_205

Sounds like its a bit of a mess, its a shame you didnt have the time to strip it, one of my first 205`s a similar thing happend, new front and rear brakes, drive shafts and lower arms and lowering springs, it was later involved in a rear ender, the tow truck took it away and i never saw it again :( cost about 250 quid a month before the accident, never mind,

Hopefully tomorrow il cover the engine in silver and refit it with the box new drive shaft seals and input shaft seal, new clutch(depending on condition) and a new cam belt :(

M_R_205

Finaly did some more work today, finding time to do anything is getting to be a real effort, 3 hours work and this is what happend....

Engine re painted silver, cambelt checked (replaced 4k ago so didnt bother replacing) lower mount replaced, gear box cland and painted, new seals fitted and clutch check for life, exh manifold welded and re fitted with new gasket and mesh ring,

DSCN1871.jpg

After the photo was taken i fitted the main loom, the inlet mani, thermostat housing,

Tomorrow afternoon il hopefully get the pas re fitted and staqrt checking what hoses i need to buy which will be all of them i think :wacko:

Edited by M_R_205

jamiej
Finaly did some more work today, finding time to do anything is getting to be a real effort, 3 hours work and this is what happend....

Engine re painted silver, cambelt checked (replaced 4k ago so didnt bother replacing) lower mount replaced, gear box cland and painted, new seals fitted and clutch check for life, exh manifold welded and re fitted with new gasket and mesh ring,

DSCN1871.jpg

After the photo was taken i fitted the main loom, the inlet mani, thermostat housing,

Tomorrow afternoon il hopefully get the pas re fitted and staqrt checking what hoses i need to buy which will be all of them i think :wacko:

That looks awesome. Top Job !!!

Just to make a small point, IIRC ally needs a special primer due to the nature of the metal, the paint will peel off really easily otherwise (on the cyl head !)

just a heads up/