• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M_R_205

[body_work] My Little 1.6 Project

M_R_205

after finaly sorting the alarm problem out wih my Blue 1.6 it fired up :) woo hoo, but it runs like s*it, so i did a little digging around in the engine bay and it turns out its going to need a lot more work and love than i originally thought,

First off, i removed the filler neck to find....

IMG_0063.jpg

Then after removing the throttle body i found this inside the inlet mnifold! lush!!

IMG_0066.jpg

the SAD securely attached with a zip tie!!

IMG_0084.jpg

the dizzy only having 1 bolt!

IMG_0082.jpg

the brown multi plug, no wonder half the guages dont work, but at least it starts.....

IMG_0085.jpg

No crimps, no solder, just twisted together, Great!!

IMG_0087.jpg

A random pic of the shoddy breather system repairs, the whole thing seems to be bodged like this!!4

IMG_0079.jpg

Hopefully soon il lift the engine out, give it a damn good clean, new cam belt water pump, clutch, tidy the engine bay up, do a little rust treatment, and makethings beautiful again

Edited by M_R_205

felix2566

Woa there, that is in a right state!

Hope you manage to sort it all out!

damien

your mutiplug looks alot like mine... falling apart.

i need to get time to sort it out at some point

M_R_205

Well today was another free day so i cracked on with fixing up the 1.6, first off i finnished stripping the engine of everything revealing a few more cowboy fixes but nothing major, i took all the power steering off which may have been a bad idea as iv no idea how to bleed it when it goes back on!!!

then as the bumper was cracked i set about removing that (god i hate those retaining boldts!!) and taking off the lights

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

the front panel although suffering from a fair amount of surface rust was in decent nick no big holes or anything realy scary, gave it a quick wash

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

And set about it with the wire brush amd some bilt hamber hydrate 80 rust converter (bloody good stuff!)

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

Next job is to prime and re paint the front pannel and do the same to the two inner wings, it looks bad on the passenger wing as someone has already put somthing on, im dreading seeing what is underneath :ph34r:

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

Next update soon :)

Edited by cybernck

vern

Haynes covers bleeding the PAS, but all you do is fill the resovoir up start engine, top up, go to full lock one way then the other a couple of times recheck level, there are different levels for hot and cold, but just follow the marks on the res bottle. Jobs a goodun

huzzer

Wow. That looks like as bad a state as my new project!

M_R_205
Wow. That looks like as bad a state as my new project!

Its not as bad as it looks its mainly surface rust where iv scraped the bubling paint away, luckily!!!Thanks for the heads up on bleeding the pas vern il dig out the old haynse and have a read :)

Edited by M_R_205

Redtop

All the best with it. Looks like your gona be busy. Ive done 2 205 full restorations myself so I know you have alot of work infront of you. Have you set a budget for it? I did for one of mine but ended up going well over it.

M_R_205
All the best with it. Looks like your gona be busy. Ive done 2 205 full restorations myself so I know you have alot of work infront of you. Have you set a budget for it? I did for one of mine but ended up going well over it.

Not though of a budget but iv a rough idea how much il need, it looks like its going to need all new water and breather hoses drivers seat refurbed, brake pads and rear bearings, aand that little lot is jut what iv noticed after a quick once over, oha nd the front bumper and new sad iv alredy bought, ohh and possibly 2 tyres..... oh dear...... :):D

ALEX

I think your goal should be a little along the lines of this :lol:

pic

Though imagine it in Miami Blue

Grim.Badger
I think your goal should be a little along the lines of this ;)

pic

Though imagine it in Miami Blue

You're a show off Alex, get that thing fixed and back on the road :D

All these restoration pics make me want to get mine out of the garage and grind out the rust, but then I remember I won't have any car left :lol:

Good work, interesting to see pics after rust treating and before spraying.

M_R_205

Phwaarrrrrr alex that is sexual, id consider dumping my GF for somthing that looked as good as that!

(Btw i hope your going to fit some new top mounts them rusty things let it right down)

one of the good things about this Hydrate 80 stuff is its quite thick so if the rust has eaten a bit of metal and its a little pitted it hides it quite well :lol: hopefully tomorrow il get the engine out and finnish grinding the rust back :D

Edited by M_R_205

ALEX

That photo was taken in 2002.

It doesn't look as good as that now, but it's still tonnes better than it was.

I'll have to dig out pics what it looked like when I finished it!

BTW I had the top mounts powder coated along with the crossmember.

It's in my garage a the mo collecting dust!, A bit of a sad state at the moment Im affraid!.

I'll see how the time and funds situation is this summer tho' :lol:

Edited by ALEX

RHULPUG

Was wondering what you'd done with your 205 Alex, haven't seen it around Town in ages, have seen some nasty blue Astra GSi though lol!

ALEX
Was wondering what you'd done with your 205 Alex, haven't seen it around Town in ages, have seen some nasty blue Astra GSi though lol!

:lol:

That I'll be me!

A bit of a state init! (Chav speak comes with the car)

It's quite quick though..... In a straight line..... in the dry...... With the traction controll off......

RHULPUG

Lol, just winding you up! They're not that bad a car, fairly quick as you said and probably absorb the delightful Kirklees potholes a lot better than a 205.

Ben Allen

You're doing a good job there mate, glad to see a 205 getting some much needed attention

M_R_205

Litlle up date, engine came out what an uter bastared of a job it was, took almost all afternoon :( (oh yea and i spilt gearbox oil EVERY WHERE!!)

first problem, i couldnt loosen the drive shaft nuts mainly because the 1.6 wheels dont alow you to loosen them while fitted (due to the lack of removable centre caps!!) so a plan was formed to remove the whole strut and thus pulling the shafts out, great,

seccond problem, the droplinks wouldnt budge :angry: so i seperated the hubs from the wishbones and the passenger side came out nice and easy, the drivesrs i ended up removing the whole rear engine mount and finaly setting about lifting the engine out,

Finaly i found a little more rust,(drivers wheel arch, passengers wheel arch) again nothing serrious just light surface rust which will be ground back and treated :) (oh yea i also forgot the power steering bottle, mount, bolt has seized and is just twisting so i cant get it out, any ideas???)

Until next time

Edited by M_R_205

M_R_205

Not updated for a while as iv done bolox all for a while, but today i set about it again, was going to primer the engine bay and possibly a base coat but i found a problem...

IMG_0127.jpg

did some cutting,

DSCN1848.jpg

Found some metal

DSCN1849.jpg

did some welding, and i impressed myself to no end having never done any real welding before :)

DSCN1855.jpg

Some grinding and tidying up

DSCN1857.jpg

And some rust proofing

DSCN1861.jpg

Now when thats all dry i can start painting properly lol its only taken twice as long as id hoped but nevemind

Forgot to mention theres also a wee hole in the drivers side arch which il need to weld up, im assuming its going to be a rather large hole due to all the bubling ;)

More progress on tuesday i hope

Edited by M_R_205

GLPoomobile

Bloody northern women! They'll s*it anywhere!! :)

steve@cornwall

Is that plate continuously welded?

Rob Turbo

That's a pretty impressive repair! Never even know it's been done! Wish I could be arsed to do the same with mine!

M_R_205
Is that plate continuously welded?

Yea i tacked it in the corners first, then between the corners, then filled the gaps, gave me space to bend it if necessary and easier to cut out mistakes (of wich there was only one luckily :blush: )

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/con...ar/DSCN1856.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/con...ar/DSCN1857.jpg

A couple pics of how it looked when it was all cleaned up and welds ground back, i also had to do a litle welding unerneath that was a pain in the arse where it hadnt quite penetrated

Edited by M_R_205

Pugnut

personally for peace of mind i would have gone further by welded strengthening plates on top of both struts. they can be had premade (try miles possibly) or cut you're own from a cardboard template. its pretty structural point and sees a lot of stress.

nice bit of metal work that though :blush: