• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
c_r_thomson

Step By Step Gti6 Conversion.... By A Novice!

Richie-Van-GTi

the loom isnt covered specificlly in the 306 haynes but all the wire numbers are, also the wiring is covered on Autodata with regards to pin outs from ECU etc.

jonnie205

best to leave the 306 loom complete, i block the origional hole in bulkehead and feed the wires through the gromet in the os of the car behind the battery. The brown multiplugs in the 205 will pull back through to the fuse box then just run the wires through the bulkhead out to the 2 306 plugs and job done, the exhaust is very close if you come through the std large gromet hole and there is no need to have the loom on that side of the engine.

c_r_thomson

That's what i'll do then, What's the best way to connect the wires? Into the original brown plugs? splice wires together? connector blocks?

Today, i took off the pumps i don't need here are the before and after.

Before

After

The AC and PAS pumps are no longer needed so a short aux belt can be fitted between the alternator and crankshaft pulley. This will need to be tensioned. Has anyone got a guide/pics on how they have achieved this?

Any cheap places to get an Mi16 clutch?

Craig

DrSarty

On your second picture, you'll note all of that extra bracketry under the engine mount. Have some fun and angle grind that pap off! ;) Save some weight and give yourself more room to work.

To tension the alternator, perhaps leave and use just one of these now redundant bracket fixings, and find and attach an adjuster bar used on many cars for just this job.

Rich

c_r_thomson

Quick update. currently trying to source an angle grinder to "adjust" the mounting plate for the alternator and i'm still trawling through the wiring when i get a chance.

The main stop point at the moment is finding the best place to get my Mi16 clutch kit

jonnie205

You will have to remove bracket from engine to cut it down. mi16 clucth can be bought from any local motor factors

c_r_thomson

Ok, i'll get the bracket of tomorrow. Partco for the clutch? any ideas on what i should pay?

DrSarty
Ok, i'll get the bracket of tomorrow. Partco for the clutch? any ideas on what i should pay?

When I bought mine, it was about £80 for the kit.

You'll panic a bit after grinding the crud off the bracket at what you have left, but you should have 3 bolt holes of which 2 have locating dowels in. These dowels are important!

whizzer71

Or GSF for the clutch,at least itll be a pucka Valeo one !

:(

c_r_thomson

Right guys and girls. My loom is off the engine and on my dining room floor! I'm all sorted with the larger of the brown multi plugs. The smaller one is disconnected but 2 wires are routed back into the dash. I believe one is to the Tachy relay, can these be removed too?

Also, i'm going to draw up a simple and clear wiring diagram when i've sorted this so if anyone has a definitive list of the connections required to the 19 pin plug can you forward it on to me please. (I know you've done this recently Shooter :-))

Any advice on what i can remove from the GTi6 loom that is surplus to requirements too please.

Thanks guys.

P.S. angle grinder has an appointment with Aux mounting bracket tomorrow :lol:

pj838

There is a brown wire 1070 in the 19 pin plug, which I believe is the 'alternator field wire' - does this need to be connected into the 205? Or is it just for a warning light?

Alastairh

As for wire number, couldn't tell you off my head.

But its wise to wire that into the 205. Gives you a bit of warning if your alternator is dead...

Peetypug

hows this going?

i'm picking my GTI6 up on saturday

would love an update on how things are going

Retro Pug
hows this going?

i'm picking my GTI6 up on saturday

would love an update on how things are going

I'm keen to know too, I pick my GTI6 engine up on Thurs!!

Sign in to follow this