• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
c_r_thomson

Step By Step Gti6 Conversion.... By A Novice!

c_r_thomson

Ok all, i have been serching the forum loads recently looking for all the tips/guides for doing my Gti-6 conversion. It's not been easy and i have gained alot of info however i'm sure i'll still hit snags along the way. I thought it would be a good idea for me to document my activities over the next few weeks..... (hopefully) and narrate on all the problems/solutions i come across along the way. This will be good for future users looking to do this conversion. Please feel free to add any tips/comments along the way as long as you know what you're talking about!!! :) Not that i do lol

I'm pretty much a mechanical novice however i did carry out a carb conversion last year with good results. This is without a doubt the biggest job i've ever took on car wise. Well, the story so far......

I pick up my 1999 GT-6 engine on Friday so armed with my Haynes manual and priceless info given by searching this forum the engine finally came out. Ever feel like you've bitten off more than you can chew?

Engine bay

I took this opportunity to remove the master cylinder in order to swap it for a shorter one (406 i think) to aid clearance when the new engine goes in.

I'm using my 1.9 BE3 gearbox with the replacement engine so this would have to be removed. John Murgie's site covers this and the clutch VERY well.

Link here

Engine out

The gearbox was covered in old oil and sludge

Gearbox off

Clutch off

I'm going to be fitting an Mi16 clutch with this conversion, just as well as i don't think this one has much life left :unsure:

Clutch plate

While waiting i wirebrushed and hammerited the lower suspension arms as they were in a bad way.

Lower arm

Next for me is to tidy up the engine bay and start identifying the loom wires ready for when the new one arrives.

More updates soon, Tommo

DrSarty

I 110% admire your efforts here chief. Not just for doing the conversion (with its associated costs and headaches) but for making the effort - when your hands are red raw from scrubbing - to download the pictures off your phone/camera to type up what you hope will be useful to someone else.

What goes around comes around my friend. Well done!

Rich :)

shooter mcgavin

here here,keep up the good work. i'am almost finnished mine and have been taking loads of pics so i'll keep an eye on this and help out when i can,

this thread should be pinned.

oh and right now my hands are raw from scrubbing :)

felix2566

Good work thompson! I wish the best of luck to you.

My conversion is nearing the closing stages and i will be doing a big update soon, just been gathering all the remaning parts to finish it of.

If there is anything I can help out with I will.

Daxed

Good luck with the project.

If the wishbones "were in a bad way" are they worth reusing considering the very reasonable price of new items? Are the bushes and balljoint top notch?

Bakes100

Just a quick one... is the 406 master cylinder really shorter than the 205 item??? i was lead to beleive it was only used as it had a larger piston?

DrSarty
If the wishbones "were in a bad way" are they worth reusing considering the very reasonable price of new items?

I have a set of wishbones with less than 500 miles on for £25 incl P&P you can have.

:)

Alastairh
Just a quick one... is the 406 master cylinder really shorter than the 205 item??? i was lead to beleive it was only used as it had a larger piston?

I wouldn't say so.

It's certinly fatter.

Al

Super Josh

Sounds like a good project :) Although I wouldn't use a 1.9 'Box. Go with an Mi or 1.6 one.

Josh

pj838

Hope it all goes well, also nearly finished my conversion, I tell you when it roars into life for the first time all the blood sweat and tears is forgotten :D

Just an idea, I left all the wiring til last as it seemed like a nightmare, but if doing it again I would sort the wiring at an earlier stage while the bay is empty (like you say), maybe reroute it through the passenger side bulkhead to keep it away from the exhaust.

Paul.

Alastairh

Id keep the Standard 6 loom on the engine unless your painting the block. Just makes life alot easier making sure everything works.

Al

c_r_thomson

Great to see such a good reaction! Lots of good responses already! For all those who have done the conversion, any tips and/or pics you have would be greatly appreciated when that particular point in the conversion arrises. Todays progress has just been cleaning up the gearbox a bit ready for the lump tomorrow.

The wishbones just looked really rough with surface rust but they came up ok. The bearings/ball joints look fine too. Thanks for the offer Sarty

I don't know if the 406 MC is shorter, i read on here that it was used in a conversion to aid clearance from the timming belt cover. Any confirmation on that one?

I'm using the 1.9 box as the GTi-6 box mount was snapped in the collision. I know my BE3 box to be a good one but for info for future conversions can anyone clear up the pro's con's of the box choice?

I plan to try and sort out some of the wiring while the engine is out for the new clutch, timing belt etc.

I pic up the engine hoist tomorrow morning then i set of for my 400mile round trip to collect the engine, loom, ecu, battery box, Lambda sensor and all interconnections. I'll get some pics up when i get it home. Unfortunately, not much work happening this weekend as the Mother is up for a visit :-( but i'll be getting stuck in next week!

Cheers.

oli-pug

Great stuff mate, I'll hopefully be starting my conversion in the next couple of weeks. Just gathering all the servicing and conversion parts together now :)

Luckily i found a good engine and box 5miles down the road from me! lol :lol:

DrSarty
can anyone clear up the pro's con's of the box choice?

Might be worth reading the last 2 pages of my project thread as gearboxes, final drives, ratios and liveability is being disucssed.

In short, the standard boxes:

1.6 = short gears, rapid acceleration, high revs at motorway cruising

1.9 = longest gears, lazy motorwaying

Mi16 = compromise between the above, still with a good motorway nature but with (some say) some odd spacing for sporty/track work

And as for...

the Mother is up for a visit :-( but i'll be getting stuck in next week!

That just sounds wrong :) !

Edited by DrSarty

c_r_thomson
:lol: Ha...... sh*t..... i mean.... errr.... i love my Mum but come on!!!! :) lol

Miles

GTi6 box has very good ratio's but when used on a 205 or even 306 the lock is just plain silly, plpus the box is weaker than the 5 speeds.

JeffR
... the box is weaker than the 5 speeds.

Why is that Miles, because the imput/output shafts are longer?

c_r_thomson

Oh, and Sarty, got your answer to Quote game 5!

PM'd as not to ruin it for everyone else :)

Miles

The Depth of the teeth on the gear's, The 6 speed boxes are more like Ford boxes is the description I use, The 5 speeds handle upto about 230bhp and 200Lb ft torque before you start seeing major problems, Thats why Pug used the ML box on the XU10J2TE engine.

c_r_thomson

The engine is here!!! :D

I'll get some more pics up tomorrow night and decide on what to tackle next. As said before, wiring is a good start so any one with info on wiring with any pics/diagrams or wire ident lists please send them onto me and we'll get them published on the topic.

Cheers.

jonnie205

the looms all seem to be different in terms or wire colour and numbers but it aint to bad to work out, is it a xsara or 306 sourced engine?

Richie-Van-GTi

when it comes to doing the wiring get a few cable ties and make several loops around the engine bay through which you thread the loom. That way when you splice into it you can get all the wires to lay out to equal lengths easily and you know when its finished the entire loom will fit easily around the bay where you intend it to.

I actually found it easier to unwrap the entire 6 loom, sit and list all the wire numbers that ran to the 2 round multiplugs then using a 306 manual I made a note of what each one was for including the pin numbers etc it went to. From here you can simply remove all the unrequired wires. At first it looks very daunting and messy but once you remove the unrequired stuff its starts to become clear why your doing it that way. It also helps with laying out the loom in the engine bay if its not wrapped as there is no fixed curves or T pieces etc to contend with, you can route it to how you prefer.

Mine currently runs stright out along the bulkhead to the pass inner wing behind the header tank then along the inner wing and straight along the slam panel. There are several small T's along this route with the wires running direct to their connectors on the engine. When complete it looks very neat and logical. Id get a photo but its currently all open and loose again due to change in ECU.

pugpete1108
The engine is here!!! :)

I'll get some more pics up tomorrow night and decide on what to tackle next. As said before, wiring is a good start so any one with info on wiring with any pics/diagrams or wire ident lists please send them onto me and we'll get them published on the topic.

Cheers.

i take it you are using std managment?, i got a wiring diagram from dream weaver (emerald) and converted it for my megasquirt equipped 6 engine, although with the inlet still to be sorted it hasnt actually run yet :)

anything i can help you with though dude just let me know.

pete

DrSarty

Once you stop being daunted by the loom side of things, and approach it logically as people have said, you'll find it's actually quite simple.

I was petrified doing my Mi conversion and the loom, but when it comes down to it, you can strip out quite a bit and it all starts to make perfect sense.

Get stuck in and follow all of this advice.

c_r_thomson

Will do guys. It's a 306 loom and you're right, it does just look like a mess of wires! Has the 306 Haynes manual got a wiring diagram for this engine? I intend to lay it out on the dining room floor and strip it apart like you say!

Can't get a hold of anyone at 205parts.com to order my clutch :)

Anyways, here she is :wub:

While she's out i'll be giving it a clean and removing the AC and PAS pumps. Then it's time to manufacture a tensioner for the alternator. I've read on here it's possible to use the original 8v tensioner or a 106 1.4 timing belt tensioner. I'll be trying the original 8v method and i'll post my results..... questions when it's done.

3.6 litre 8 cylinder 32 valve Megane Scenic!!!

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/c_r_...nt=DSC00284.jpg

Welcome home

Sign in to follow this