• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ATS

205 Dying When Turning Left

ATS

Hi.

I have a problem with my 1989 1.9 Gti that is driving me nuts.

It has an intermittent problem when turning left that only seems to occur after its got warm but then sometimes doesn’t occur at all.

When driving along once the car has got hot and I turn left from the wheel straight position the engine just dies. All revs drop off no matter where the throttle is as if the ignition has been turned off but then when I turn the wheel back to the right it starts up again if its bumped. I think it seems to be an ignition problem as when it restarts it pops and bangs like it has been getting fuel through.

Now this doesn’t happen all the time its very intermittent and the car can drive for 5 minutes or 40 minutes but once it starts doing it the car becomes undrivable. It sometimes then refuses to restart causing me to have to pull over and get towed home. But then I come to it in the morning and its running again.

Has anyone any idea what this can be as I’m stumped. What should I look for first?

I’ve just brought the car over to Spain for a couple of years so I’m now a little stranded and don’t know where to start.

A bit of history.

I have just swapped the fuel filler neck as the old one had worn through on the drive down through spain due to it being overloaded.

Also the car used to idle at 1500 but now seems to be idleing between 1000 and 1200.

Ps its a powersteering model

Thanks

Anthony

With the engine running, wiggle various bits of wiring and see if that causes it to cut out. My guess would be that you've a broken wire somewhere, but it would be worth checking also that none of the wiring under the dash is catching on the steering column - certainly all the engine management wiring and the ignition barrel wires are pretty close.

ATS

Ive had all the trim off around the steering colum and followed all the ignition wires whilst its been running but no amount of wiggling seems to cause it to cut out.

Also looked around the steering column joints and no wires seems to be catching on any wires.

Im stumped :lol:

24seven

might sound a bit obvious, but could it be down to crap in the fuel tank blocking fuel getting to the pickup as the tank empties? I used to have a similar problem with my old polo which would virtually disappear when over half full.

Edited by 24Seven

Sign in to follow this