• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

Ds2500's For Gti 6 Caliper

Stu

Howdy all, now that my '6 calipers have finally arrived im thinking of investing in some DS2500's for them. The best price ive found so far is with Proven Products @ £89 + £9 P&P.

Does anyone know of a cheaper source? Miles perhaps? Or even a better/cheaper pad? I looked at the 1144's but some people say they arent long lived, the car is primarily a track car.

Anthony

Give Miles a shout - certainly the DS2500's for my 1.9 calipers were cheap from him :lol:

Dino

Mintex M1155 pads all the way for me.

I've tried the DS2500s on my M3s AP brakes and they were shockingly bad and overheated on track - I would never use them again for track use.

I've used M1155s on my previous 205 Mi16 and now on my 306 GTi6 and never had any problems with them on road or track.

Edited by Dino

Anthony

DS2500's have been fine for me, taking all the abuse I can throw at them on track and haven't faded once... and that's on standard 1.9 calipers.

C_W

I found the same as Dino on my BMW M Coupe, they judder like mad and you get huge amounts of dust. Never used them on the 205 but I used to use DS3000s which were mega aggressive/bitey and dusty (which ate the wheels), but even those started to judder on the last set. Yellowstuffs for from now, £36 a set for the 205! and the just run smooth all the time!

Stu

Hmm.. yellowstuffs you say? id not really thought about EBC stuff, how do they fare on track?

Toddy

Miles for 1155 excellent price

kyepan

watch out for the m1155's they are a very high heat range pad, they really are track pads, they are not so effective when cold, first couple of stops there is very little there, nearly run into the back of people a number of times. Which can catch you out quite a bit on the road, especially if your easy on the brakes. Once warm of course they are great.

M1144's bite first time from cold, bite much stronger than standard pads and have a higher heat range than standard, however they won't go as hot as the 1155 material.

DS2500's are comparible to standard pads when cold, and come on very strong when warm / hot, they have a friction coefficent of something like 19% over standard material.

can't comment on any of these when on track, but if 99% of your time is on the road.. m1144 or ds2500, would try and steer you away from m1155.

try raceparts, they do them.

Edited by kyepan

jackherer
watch out for the m1155's they are a very high heat range pad, they really are track pads, they are not so effective when cold, first couple of stops there is very little there, nearly run into the back of people a number of times. Which can catch you out quite a bit on the road, especially if your easy on the brakes. Once warm of course they are great.

I couldn't DISagree more. I run m1166 in my 205 and I've never found them lacking from cold.

How did you bed your 1155s in?

C_W
Hmm.. yellowstuffs you say? id not really thought about EBC stuff, how do they fare on track?

I've used them for about 2 years since stopping using DS3000s. There is a dramtic change in feel as the DS3000s were super high friction and barely needed any pedal pressure to stop, the Yellowstuffs aren't the best for feel but they are easier to modulate due to this and the discs always appear to run "clean" so get no judder - also the price is very good (I get mine from www.larkspeed.com - seem to be listed only for 309GTi but obviously this is the same fitment as the 205 1.9).

Mintex Pads are also usually good, the Extreme pads are probably worth a look.

kyepan
I couldn't DISagree more. I run m1166 in my 205 and I've never found them lacking from cold.

How did you bed your 1155s in?

Have a read of this, while the graphs are a bit pants, the heat range for M1155 starts higher, at about 50 degrees. M1144 is capable from cold and sub zero. Shame the graphs don't show the m1155 coefficent of friction below the 50 degrees, so i guess it doesn't prove anything, but hey.

Bedding in, if I remember correctly from instructions in box, is something like.

3 x stops from 30

then

3 x stops from 50

then

3 x stops from 70.

They are all good pads, and its up to your application to choose the right one.

Cheers

J

jackherer

I have read things like that before, but like I said I have M1166 (not 1155) in my daily driver, I have had for a couple of years now and they are absolutely fine from cold, several people have driven my 205 and no one has had a problem with them and they have passed the MOT brake test at a couple of different garages.

Are you just repeating stuff you've read or have you had trouble with pads not working from cold yourself?

Miles

I run either DS3000's or 1155's on 205's and my 406, Both are good from what I;ve found thou the Pagid pads are better but they do cost twice as much, But as said the 1155's work fine from cold as do the DS2500 and 3000's

For some reason the 1155's are cheaper than the 1144's and both I keep on stock so if you need a price just drop me a PM or email via my website.

Bedding in varies from Pad to Pad so what works for one may not for another, It's quite a minefield believe it or not after speaking to a few manufacures.

SPGTi

Put in some Carbon Lorraine pads. The stopping power they offer in std 1.9 calipers is great and no fade. Either Demon Tweeks or Batfink off here. Also maybe worth trying Extreme in King Street, Dudley I am pretty sure they stock Carbon Metallic pads which CraigB has found very good in his road rally car.

Steve

kyepan
Are you just repeating stuff you've read or have you had trouble with pads not working from cold yourself?

B) yer i had trouble with them. first couple of stops there was very little there, but I got used to it.

jackherer
B) yer i had trouble with them. first couple of stops there was very little there, but I got used to it.

Weird, like I say even M1166 is fine from cold in my 205.

I once fitted some very OTT wilwood polymatrix (don't remember the exact grade) pads to my friends 205 with 4 pots and that did take a bit of warming up before it worked properly so I do know what race pads can be like, but my car with standard 1.9 discs and calipers works very well with 1166.

Stu

Hmm.. im tempted by the 1155's then, id previously decided on the DS2500's, so i suppose it depends what i land on first. Expect a PM shortly Miles.. ;)

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

kyepan
Weird, like I say even M1166 is fine from cold in my 205.

I once fitted some very OTT wilwood polymatrix (don't remember the exact grade) pads to my friends 205 with 4 pots and that did take a bit of warming up before it worked properly so I do know what race pads can be like, but my car with standard 1.9 discs and calipers works very well with 1166.

yer i agree, it was weired, had about 3 sets of m1144's prior to that, and a set of pagids, not had any issues like it. tbh.

Still if no one else is having issues, perhaps it was the bedding in or something.

Matt Holley
DS2500's have been fine for me, taking all the abuse I can throw at them on track and haven't faded once... and that's on standard 1.9 calipers.

Same here, I run ds2500 in my gti6 calipers and they are fine, I did a track day today at combe and had no fade all day and they had 6 sessions of pure abuse :) its the 4th track day these pads have done since september.

I did have some 1144s before that and they cracked up and came away from the backing :) was weird as I had some before in my old 205 and never had a problem so might have been a bad batch

Sign in to follow this