• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Furiousd

2nd Problem In One Day!

Furiousd

After grazing my knuckles replacing the headlight (I had no tools to remove the filter) I drove to tesco and the alarm/remote central locking would not work. This has happened befre once or twice, so I locked it with the key. When I came out again still no luck with the alarm and also the lights would not work?

(none of the exterior lights or dash lights, although the map reading light and indicators were still all working?)

The engine would still start but I couldn't go anywhere as it was dark. I locked it up again and came back a few hours later with a friend to have another look. Unfortunately I'd accidentally left the interior light on and the battery was completely flat. After a jump start alarm lights etc were all back working. Although after a 20 min drive home the battery has not charged back up enough to restart the engine :lol:

Can anyone shed any light on this?

There is obviously a battery/possibly altenator issue, could this be related to the alarm/light thing that caused the initial problem? Before draining the battery with the interior light the car started up fine 3 or 4 times and I've not had any trouble recently batterywise. (Although it is my second halfords one as the 1st died after just a few month so go a free one on warranty)

This is really annoying as the cars been great the last 6 months with no really issues :(

Any pointers would be really appreciated!

Furiousd

Update. Car started fine this morning so I think the alternator/battery must be fine. Just me being a dipstick leaving the interior light on that flattend the battery.

Also alarm/lights issue has gone away (For now) I'm going to put this down to a dodgily wired in 3rd party alarm system (Clifford G5).

I will have to get round to testing it or removing completely as I have a thing about non standard alarm systems especially when they've come with the car and you don't know the history/who's fitted it etc

Lets hope it stays working at least until it is light enough for me to drive around without headlights!

Furiousd

Anyone any idea's on this? Had the same problem again today so it doesn't seem to be going away on its own : (

I don't mind the fact the alarm decides not to work but I can't understand why it takes the lights out as well :blush:

Is their an obvious spot where the 2 are connected and is there a reason behind it? Any alarm/electrical experts want to give me some pointers where to go with this?

Cheers in advance for any help!

Chris

kate205gti

i would say fuse but if they come back on again then it obviously just dodgy wiring! tbh id get an auto leccy or alarm bod to rip out the old system asap and should spot it - otherwise could try and trace the wiring back from the headlights?

ive had no end of problems with old alarm systems in mine and usually first job is to rip them out and fit a proper one!

Sign in to follow this