• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

My Rear Beam Doesn't Sit Straight

Alan_M

I've been out and had a fiddle with my beam on the 205 and it still doesn't sit square. I'm not after exact but its too way out for my liking.

Passenger side rear valance

post-6-1202819348_thumb.jpg

Drivers side rear valance

post-6-1202819373_thumb.jpg

Drivers side rear quarter

post-6-1202819398_thumb.jpg

Passenger side rear quarter

post-6-1202819425_thumb.jpg

Not great pics, but you can see that there is some difference between the sides. The shell has been checked for straightness and is, there is no visible damage to the structure and mounts.

The only things I can think of is...

• Bent Rear Beam

• Bent Arms

• Bent Beam Mounts (The studs)

The Beam was swopped over with a rebuilt one, as the old one had a bent crosstube. Plan is to fit a 24mm ARB, ZX arms and GrpA solid mounts.

But I won't until I'm sure the shell is straight!

Any ideas anybody?

Dino

Alan I had 3 different beams on my 205 and only one of them sat dead centre on both sides. It's weird but some are central and some arent! :blush:

jord294

have you tried measuring the distance from centre cap on front wheels to centre cap on rear wheels

on same side obviously ;)

not sure if this is a good way of checking :blush:

Bakes100

Could be your rear bushes are worn, mine sits quite away out of line so im replacing mine soon, does it track off to one side at all??

oli-pug

That does look a little odd, can't see how the studs lining up at the four could be bent. they would be a real aggro to fit if that was the case!

Have a check of the rear mountings, make sure the trailing arms are fully driven home. Possibly bent stub axles?

Or, maybe you have trailing arms off different cars i.e zx and 205?

Anthony

Just put a known straight beam from another car on there - it's the only sure-fire way to know what the issue is

James_R

as said measure hub to hub then diagonally to get an idea of the position of the sus relative to it, the shell looksing untrue can be panels being in different places.

But like ant says put a known straight beam on?? and see what that's like.

Alan_M

Ant,

You got one spare for a day then?

Alan_M

After an afternoon buggering around with the 205, I've come to the conclusion the shell is straight. Well, I'm 99% sure it is.

One thing I did'nt do was to bolt-up the rear mounts, and once in and tightened the beam sat a little better. Still not right though.

Done a few measurements with a tape underneath from various points and they all seem to match up within 1mm.

Then a few measurements were taken from front wheel to rear wheel, and they are out by about 5mm - 7mm.

I reckon is may well be the front mounts as they do not sit straight themselves, and I remember when swopping the mounts/studs over the rubber bush was rogered. I think a piece of rubber was caught up between the bush and mount.

Will continue this weekend :)

Henry Yorke

Mine does exactly this too (as I have mentioned before). I have some solid front rear mounts to add at some point. New 195/50/15 tyres don't help either B)

Alan_M
Mine does exactly this too (as I have mentioned before). I have some solid front rear mounts to add at some point. New 195/50/15 tyres don't help either B)

Glad to know I'm not the only one then!

Rob_the_Sparky

Just a thought: with solid beam mounts have you had to drill new mounting holes? I which case is it possible that they are slightly out of alignment?

Rob

Alan_M
Just a thought: with solid beam mounts have you had to drill new mounting holes? I which case is it possible that they are slightly out of alignment?

Rob

I've not put the solid mounts on yet. The current beam is a rebuilt item salvaged by me and Ant some time ago. It has replaced the old, bent beam. The rubber front mounts are totally rogered though.

Simes

Mines the same and has been for 8 years - even with a change of the sandwich mounts about 4 years ago.

EDIT: Never been any sign of bizarre tyre wear either.

Edited by Simes

Dream Weaver

My old beam was also like this, I did a post about it many moons ago asking for help.

Now the new beam is on its all perfect, so I guess it was the old beam at fault.

Alan_M

The beam is deffo on wonky, but I just need to figure out why.

You can easily see that the passenger side is toeing in loads compared to the drivers. I'm hoping its the rogered rubber top hat bushes on the front mounts that are causing it, otherwise it can onle be a bent beam (again).

I'm 99% sure my shell is straight, I've had it checked and I checked myself taking various measurements across the shell. There is no evidence of shell damage on it whatsoever given the speed of impact.

I just don't get time to work on it at the moment, which is a little frustrating as I miss driving it. But munchkin comes first ;)

jonah

Pretty sure the problem will be with the front mounts (the ones with the two studs sticking up)... there are different types used on different models with the studs in different positions, so if you haven't got a matched pair then the beam will be skewed. From what I remember the 1.6GTI uses symmetrical mounts that are the same both sides, and the 1.9 type are offset and different on each side - they are stamped "G" and "D" (Gauche and Droite - French for left and right).

ALEX

It might have come out of the factory like that, TBH I've not noticed on mine, but chances are they will be out just like yours.

an acumulation of manufactuing tollerences on the wrong side of perfect could be to blame for this.

Edited by ALEX

Alan_M
Pretty sure the problem will be with the front mounts (the ones with the two studs sticking up)... there are different types used on different models with the studs in different positions, so if you haven't got a matched pair then the beam will be skewed. From what I remember the 1.6GTI uses symmetrical mounts that are the same both sides, and the 1.9 type are offset and different on each side - they are stamped "G" and "D" (Gauche and Droite - French for left and right).

Thanks for that, I'll double check them as I did swop one over!

It might have come out of the factory like that, TBH I've not noticed on mine, but chances are they will be out just like yours.

an acumulation of manufactuing tollerences on the wrong side of perfect could be to blame for this.

Thing is I'm sure the beam never sat like that before my incident at the 'Ring, and I don't want to start the re-incarnation of my 205 with a bent shell, Just want to double check everything first. It may well be just a coincidence that it sits like that, after a hard smack on the rear corner (on the old beam).

Pob
Thanks for that, I'll double check them as I did swop one over!

Thing is I'm sure the beam never sat like that before my incident at the 'Ring, and I don't want to start the re-incarnation of my 205 with a bent shell, Just want to double check everything first. It may well be just a coincidence that it sits like that, after a hard smack on the rear corner (on the old beam).

My beam has similar problems, the gap between the sill and the wheel is bigger on the drivers side compared to the passenger side. There is no odd tyre wear but the suspension is very hard so something isn't right with mine

Dan

Coonper

Lowering the beam using the "splines method" can cause it sit at an angle.

My saxo is the same...

Edited by Coonper

Sign in to follow this