• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NeilGTi85

Mi 16 Oil Filter

NeilGTi85

Hello All,

Ive just brought myself a MI 16 built by Spooks, There is a load of mayo in the oil filter. Basiclly there a 3 tube's coming out of the filter which is connected to the block by a plastic clip, one of them is open!! One run's to the block and the other to the tb. I am going to take it off clean it out along with the pipe's. Can i block the open ended part off?? Can i take the mesh out of the inside??

Neil

NeilGTi85

lol, yep that's what i mean

C_W

From memory, the pipe on the cap runs to the throttle intake. The thickest one at the base runs down to the sump, and the one coming out of the back also runs down to the block. Apparently some of these pipes are no longer available and this might be why it's missing.

NeilGTi85

lol, yeah. She's a beast, not been looked after very well by previous owners so im looking to work some magic and return her to her former glory,

I take it the alloy 1.9 has a diffrent filler,

Neil

Miles

The 2l's shouldn;t suffer badly from mayo in there, So it could well be the H/G so worth checking the compression and doing a leak down test.

But the spare one should go into a flame trap back into the induction or Catch tank, Bad idea having it open to the air like that which may account for the Mayo hopfully

NeilGTi85

I talked to spook about that and theve told me to fit a filter to it. Do you know where i can get one? Or do you think a catch tank will be better?

Cheers

Neil

Miles

Shouldn't they have had it fitted?, If you bought it from them I would ask them to provide one.

But a filter won;t stop it, Going to a catch tank will be better as it helps stop the cold air mixing with the oil vapour's there,

NeilGTi85

Quite true, I have not really looked at catch tanks. Are they sealed unit's? Where abouts can i get one?

Cheers

Neil

NeilGTi85

iVE READ SOME INFO ON THESE BUT I CANT SEEM TO FIND ONE'S WITH A IN BUILT AIR FILTER

monty69

My standard s16 use to be full of the stuff in winter, cleaned all breathers out and was messed up within weeks again. Was fine in summer and after long motorway journeys :)

NeilGTi85

I have seen quite a few 2l with the same open ended pipe, I gave it a bit of a thrash the other day and its cleared the mayo out.....i also took the pipe that runs to the throttle and gave that a good cleaning, all seems well....but i dont think the open end pipe should be like that!!

A catch tank would be good, i cant seem to find a single port one though. I will proberbly get one and adapt it,

Neil

Miles

You won;t find a single port catch tank as the engine breath's via it so it will vent into the air, so any wil do from the Small Mocal ones to various tanks which various companies make up

Sign in to follow this