• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alastairh

Todays Rear Beam Thinker!

Alastairh

Hello.

My Sorrento. I am returning the car back to standard as i am selling up :lol:

I previously had a tweaked 309 beam installed which i've now sold, and bought a new 205 beam from a friend on this forum.

A couple years back the beam was lowered and rebuilt by lad by 35mm.

So last weekend i highered the beam back up (shock distance roughly 233mm), and the beam came apart easily enough and looked really mint. Happy days!

I then bolted everything back on, lowered the car to the ground and attempt the first drive with revised running gear and rebuilt engine but didn't quite go to plan.

The rear wheels were rubbing on the inner arches. I thought thats odd. So i jacked the car up and tried a different make of tyres, and no change (possible difference in side walls).

So i pulled my other standard 1900 Red 205 up and measured from the bottom of the inner wheel arch to the outside of the brake disc on both cars and they were the same (roughly 150mm).

Yet theres a thingers gap between the wheel and the wheel arch on the red one, but not my Sorrento.

All tests were done with 1900 Speedlines.

The beam doesn't look cambered or anything like that.

Answers on a post card :unsure:

Cheers, Al

welshpug

195 or 185's?

what I have seen is that the inner arch has been beaten back, but not the lip where the panel meets the boot floor if you see what I mean, I don't know if that's enough?

all I can imagine it'd be is that the stub axles or shafts are bent, but you would see and measure that?!

one thing I know it can be, the thickness of the disc/wheel mounting face can vary, maybe enough for a 195 to rub?

welshpug

another thought too, has this beam had new wheel bearings ever? there is meant to be a spacer behiond the bearing, but once again your measurement of 150mm means that this in theory isnt possible.

I'm stumped too!

Alastairh

I know lots of people that run 195's on 1900 beams though...

DaveW

Twisted shell mate :unsure:

Baz

yeh, i agree with Dave, i hear the guy that owned that shell before you was a real animal... :lol::unsure:

In other words, no idea, spill...

Edited by BazGTMi

pug_ham
So last weekend i highered the beam back up (shock distance roughly 233mm), and the beam came apart easily enough and looked really mint.

Typo? 233mm is massively low so it'd be sat on the shell with absolutely no rear suspension!! Guessing you meant 323mm.

Has this beam been driven on this shell before or on any car since rebuild for that matter?

Sounds to me like you need to take the rear wheel bearings off & check someone hasn't tried to make a 1.6 beam into a 1.9 beam without swapping the stub axles by leaving the spacers off that Welshpug mentions.

Graham.

Garry

This is my old beam, which was put out of service as I got a 309 one instead.

I didn't have any problems with it fitting or rubbing on mine since I had the ''LAD 2000'' upgrade.

Maybe its the chassis?

Batfink

How about measuring the distance between the inner arches on the car and comparing it to another as maybe there was some large build tolerances in the bodywork?

Emmy Seize

Glad to read that I am not the only one with this sort of observations.

One of my 1.9s has a similar thing.

The beam is all original, not kanckered, not cambered or whatever, some 195s tend to rub on the body and with 185s the gap between shell and tyre is still considerably smaller than on my other cars.

As I prefer standard tyre-size, I not bothered by this, but it would be nice to know the reason for it anyway.

James_R

must be a friday afternoon shell :blush:

Alastairh

:blush:

Typo? 233mm is massively low so it'd be sat on the shell with absolutely no rear suspension!! Guessing you meant 323mm.

Has this beam been driven on this shell before or on any car since rebuild for that matter?

Sounds to me like you need to take the rear wheel bearings off & check someone hasn't tried to make a 1.6 beam into a 1.9 beam without swapping the stub axles by leaving the spacers off that Welshpug mentions.

Graham.

Sorry, i was on the San miguel last night. Garry did have the beam on his car previously.

How about measuring the distance between the inner arches on the car and comparing it to another as maybe there was some large build tolerances in the bodywork?

I've got the car up on axel stands at the mo as im refurbing its rims, so i will get the tape measure out tonight.

fit spacers.

I've done that to just get it driving, but would rather fix it.

Cheers for your help lads.

Al

James_R

It did run fine on the beam it had before you got it which had the SB wonky wheel set up on it, so if it didn't rub wiuth that odd it does with this, ave you measured between the inside of the discs across the whole beam compared to the other 1900?? see if it's any narrower there?

Oh and th archs have got dinked out at all from various stuff in the boot, I've had to tape mine back in before after wedging copious amounts of wheels in the boot.

Super Josh
It did run fine on the beam it had before you got it which had the SB wonky wheel set up on it, so if it didn't rub wiuth that odd it does with this,

You have to remember that the SBC negative camber kit adds quite a bit of width to the beam, not far off a 309 beam width. So that would explain why the problem hasn't been seen before.

Josh

Dino

Both the standard beams I had on this shell didnt rub even though one of them was seized!

Have you tried another 1.9 beam Al?

eafertynyne

OK... first time I've offered any kind of advice on here and at the risk of making a tw*t of myself... here goes..

Could the inside of the wheels have been machined down a bit to either stop the fouling on your arches with the 309 beam or have they been fitted on a FWD Ford?

Just my immediate thought because this is what I had to do when I put 19's on a BMW a few years back.

niklas

Have you fitted the front mounts correctly? They are offset in both left-right and front-back directions!

Sign in to follow this