• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mattyh

R1 Carb Connections

Guest mattyh

I have put the carbs on the engine and connected it up as I thought was correct. Unfortunately I am still not getting any petrol in the engine! Please can someone tell me how I should have them connected.

I have attached a photo, its not brilliant but should help show each of the connections.

Any tips or help anyone can give me in getting it started will be much appreciated, been struggling with it for a while now!

http://img107.mytextgraphics.com/photolava...-49hdxfshj.jpeg

(I hope the link works, Im not too hot on these links!)

Thanks for looking, I hope you can help!

M_R_205

Yea the large brass connector on the bottom is for the fuel, is the fuel pump working? is it wired in properly??

Paul

Guest mattyh

There is fuel getting in to the chambers on the carbs just doesnt seem to be getting into the engine.

The two T pieces on the top of the carbs have channels in the castings that go to the chambers. I have connected these to the vacuum pipe on the inlet manifold, but this vacuum is also connected to the timing unit and the brakes! Is it needing more vacuum? The manifold was made by Bogg Brothers with only 1 vacuum pipe.

Or do the T pieces need pressure on them to push the fuel out into the carbs?

M_R_205

The servo vacuum goes to the take off on the manifold, the two T peices i left blank and didnt use vac advance on the dizzy, All you need conected for the car to start is the fuel at the bottom, Is it running the correct jets? is it definatley sparking?

jonand
There is fuel getting in to the chambers on the carbs just doesnt seem to be getting into the engine.

The two T pieces on the top of the carbs have channels in the castings that go to the chambers. I have connected these to the vacuum pipe on the inlet manifold, but this vacuum is also connected to the timing unit and the brakes! Is it needing more vacuum? The manifold was made by Bogg Brothers with only 1 vacuum pipe.

Or do the T pieces need pressure on them to push the fuel out into the carbs?

My R1 carbs simply have the fuel inlet to bottom connection as shown on your photo (regulated to 3 psi). The top black plastic bits are vented to atmosphere, and the tubes are drainers - not connected to vacuum. I have no induction vacuum connections at all - (servo to vacuum pump).

Hope this helps

Jon

Guest mattyh

I bought the carbs and engine from someone and it hadnt been used. I was told at the time the carbs were set up to run the engine until it was run in then they would need setting up differently once the engine was run in for more power.

I havnt tried it with spark plugs yet as when it is turned over there is no fuel being pushed out the plug holes and they dont smell of fuel either. I have assumed there isnt any fuel in the engine so there wouldnt be any point trying it with plugs yet.

My fuel supply is set up to 3 psi.

So the top 2 T pieces between the carbs can be left open to air? or blanked off?

jonand
I bought the carbs and engine from someone and it hadnt been used. I was told at the time the carbs were set up to run the engine until it was run in then they would need setting up differently once the engine was run in for more power.

I havnt tried it with spark plugs yet as when it is turned over there is no fuel being pushed out the plug holes and they dont smell of fuel either. I have assumed there isnt any fuel in the engine so there wouldnt be any point trying it with plugs yet.

My fuel supply is set up to 3 psi.

So the top 2 T pieces between the carbs can be left open to air? or blanked off?

Open to air (vents) - if you have connected the drains to vacuum that may well account for fuel not sucking into engine as you could have created negative pressure in the float chambers. The main jets should be approx 175 for a 16v and 160sh for a 8v.

jonand

Just re-read your post about plugs. Do you mean that you are not sucking in fuel with the plugs OUT ? - obviously you need the plugs in to create the suction.

Guest mattyh

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

I just been thinking about it and feel a bit stupid of trying to suck in fuel with the plugs!

So the large two connections at the top of the carbs nearest the inlet manifold are open to air as vents

The 2 T pieces on the front are open to air to vent the chambers?

How do I check the jets?

Thanks again for the help.

Guest mattyh

I'll change the connections tomorrow and try it again with the spark plugs in.

Thanks for your help.

skanny

I would bet my left gonad on the fact that your not getting fuel into the cylinder.

I built a Carbed R1 lotus seven replica last year and had terrible problems getting it started.

My motorbike mechanic friend came round and removed the float bowl covers ( turn the carbs upside down and remove the 3(?) cross head bolts that hold a flatish cover on, be carefull not to loose the rubber seal thats in there) you will probably find the inside is all green and manky - like the side of a fish tank thats in need of a good clean.

you will also see the jets in there too. one of the jets will have a slot in it to allow you to unscrew them, do so and then see if you can blow through them. if not pull a wire ot of your wire brush and clamp it in some small mole grips and push it through the jet repeatedly until clear.

I did this for all 4 float bowls and it started traight away, while your in there scrape all the green gunk off the cover you removed and the rest of the float bowl.

Unfortunately this is what happens when unleaded fuel is left in the carbs for extended periods.

if you leaving them unused for anymore than 4 weeks i would recommend you drain the float bowls of fuel to avoid this again.

dan1120

You sound like you know what your talking about,just in the process of converting to r1 bike carbs 1 thing im stuck on what do i do with the fuel return pipe thats on my car at present??

Edited by jackherer

jonand

They dont have a fuel return on R1 carbs afaik. If you read earlier in this thread you will see an article link that you may find helpful !!

Sign in to follow this