• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skanny

Oil Filter, Do I Prime It Before Fitting?

skanny

I have just dropped the oil and filter off the 1.9GTI and on all my previous cars i have filled the filter with oil prior to fitting it to the engine to help it build up oil pressure quickly.

I cant see how it is possible to do this on the 1.9 because its too close to the radiator etc to fill it and get it on QUICKLY before it all drains down the fornt of the block!

Do you guys just chuck them on empty or use another trick?

Also how much oil is required for a full change?

Thanks in advance

Edited by skanny

sunil_2.0Fiesta

Shouldnt need to . i always put a little oil round the seal before i fit it. Then fill the car up with oil. run it for 10 seconds and then put more oil in as the filter will now be filled

welshpug

It is good practice to do so, I used to do it to every filter I fitted at work oil or fuel (to trucks, the mounting of these made it easy) unfortunately the position of the filter makes it a rather difficult and messy process so I wouldn't do it if the filter is in its usual location.

To save the engine running for a few seconds with no oil in it remove the king lead from the distributor and unplug the injectors then crank the engine over for about 10 seconds, this will prime the filter sufficiently.

hengti

i also always do this. once the filter has soaked up as much as it's going to, just pour the excess away before fitting

pacey205

I do thre same as hengti, poor some fresh in until its saturated then wipe some around the seal until its saturated as well.

Michael

KRISKARRERA

I fill mine up with oil and let it soak in overnight and then pour it out down the filler tube to help get out the mayo.

C_W

I tend to fill mine up a little and just carefully put it. I always prime the oil system by removing the spark plugs and spinning it over until the light goes out/pressure builds on the gauge.

Mikey S

just screw the filter on with a smear of oil on the seal. theres more than enough oil kicking around the engine to protect it for the first 5 or 6 seconds after it starts and regains oil pressure.

uncle buck

What he said

Beastie
theres more than enough oil kicking around the engine to protect it for the first 5 or 6 seconds after it starts and regains oil pressure.

how do you know?

welshpug

no oil pressure = no oil.

GLPoomobile
no oil pressure = no oil.

That's not strictly true though is it?

During a quick oil change you will still have a fine coating of oil throughout the engine, so I don't think there is a serious risk of damage during the first few seconds of cranking. But having said that, it's always wise to do your best to take care of an engine, and to that end I have now been educated and will in future prime the filter and crank the engine without letting it fire. Better safe than sorry, eh? :blush:

C_W

My view on this is that when changing the oil and filter then restarting the car with the oil light on for several seconds whilst the oil pressure builds up is part of the intended lifespan of the engine bearings (ie although there will be oil coated all round the engine, some wear still takes place during this build up of pressure). But you can increase their lifespan by priming the oil system so that the bearings are never under load without oil pressure by removing the plugs and spinning the engine over on the starter. I've always done this on my 205 and I checked a shell on my Mi16 engine once after countless trackdays and 60,000 road miles and it had no visible wear on it. It's now done about 90k on the shells.

CaptainK

From a non technical viewpoint here, how does taking the sparkplugs out and letting the engine spin on the starter for a while help with the lack of oil in the engine problem?

Surely the engine is still rotating its crank, moving its pistons up and down and so forth whether it be on its only idle power or being turned by the starter ? :blush:

welshpug

plugs out means no compression pressures, which is exactly the pressures you want to avoid, as GLP said there will be a film of oil in there, but not enough to withstand compression pressures for those few seconds where there is no oil pressure.

doing it this way only really postpones the inevitable, how long you can never tell really but it all counts.

skanny
From a non technical viewpoint here, how does taking the sparkplugs out and letting the engine spin on the starter for a while help with the lack of oil in the engine problem?

Surely the engine is still rotating its crank, moving its pistons up and down and so forth whether it be on its only idle power or being turned by the starter ? :blush:

With the plugs removed there is little or no pressure on the bearings as there is no pressure created in the cylinder on the upstroke with the plugs out.

Is there a physical way of checking the oil pressure because my oil guage is dicky and sometimes registers and sometimes does not.

Is there something i can undo to check for pressure whn its running/cranking?

CaptainK
plugs out means no compression pressures, which is exactly the pressures you want to avoid, as GLP said there will be a film of oil in there, but not enough to withstand compression pressures for those few seconds where there is no oil pressure.

doing it this way only really postpones the inevitable, how long you can never tell really but it all counts.

Gotcha thanks. Learn something new every day. :blush:

joe1joe

i dont hink it hurts to fill the filter if its at the right angle but im sure peugeot do not fill the filter up first and look how many times your car has been serviced at peugeot in the past? my car ran around 7 miles with no oil pump. and there will still be a film of oil around the bearings and it realy doesnt take long for the oil to get to the filter, but theres no harm in doing it if its not doing anything your only wasting your time! and i

CaptainK
my car ran around 7 miles with no oil pump. and there will still be a film of oil around the bearings and it realy doesnt take long for the oil to get to the filter, but theres no harm in doing it if its not doing anything your only wasting your time! and i

My 1.9 GTi engine ran for almost a year with a dodgy oil pump causing very low oil pressure - i.e. the light flickering on and off. Engine still runs fine, but its a bit "slow".

Beastie

AFAIK there's only one film thickness of oil which will withstand high pressures and that's a thickness of 1 molecule. There is also no thinner film of oil than 1 molecule.

sutol

How long will it run with no oil in it ??

Did anyone see the test a motoring programe did in the seventies where cars were run without oil ?

Mikey S
How long will it run with no oil in it ??

Did anyone see the test a motoring programe did in the seventies where cars were run without oil ?

audi 1.8t's have a problem with the oil pick ups blocking solid with s*ite. i have known some to run for more than 20 miles and still be ok, albeit very noisy. a new pick up and pump, fresh oil and there away again with no problems.

engines in general are alot tougher than many people seem to think.

sutol

Well, they tested two Austin 1100 cars (1970s models) and one had oil treatment in the engine and one didn't.

They drained the oil from both cars and drove them round a test track. Now I'm not sure of the distance but both cars covered over a lap before siezing and the engine that had been treated with an additive (stp or something like) went about 50 yds further than the untreated car.

In another instance an articulated lorry was run without engine oil. This was a mistake by the garage staff of a company I once worked for.

The day shift drained the engine oil and seviced the truck but did not refill with engine oil.

the night shift came on and finished the service but didn't fill the engine with oil.

The driver picked up the vehicle, coupled up to his trailer with 21 tons aboard and set off on his journey.

The Engine siezed 35 minutes later after hauling an all up weight of 32 tons through some 'A' roads on on to the motorway. This was with no oil at all in the engine.!!!

NeilGTi85

I've always drained the oil, taken the filter off. Then put abit of oil round the rubber seal on the filter replace it, top up engine, run for 30 sec, top up agian if needed.

Never had any problems, ive done this to all my 205's and R5's......filling the filter before hand does sound like a good idea.....but where its not possible there's not much you can do.

Neil

the fonze

done my oil and filter today no need for priming it had no oil pressure for all of 2-3 seconds if even once i started it ,just make sure everything clean and unblocked and go for it.

Sign in to follow this