• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ChrisG

M16 Throttle Bodies

ChrisG

I was sorting through all my stuff for my engine yesterday and noticed that both the standard throttle bodies I have are slightly different. The main difference I noticed is one has what appears to be an idle screw and the other doesn't, and no threads for one.

What is the difference and which is best for me to use when I plonk my engine in??? ;)

Baz

Are you sure the butterflies are actually the same size?

DrSarty

If one of those came from me Chris, then I can assure you it doesn't have an idle screw. You can't tinker with idle speed; it's all down to the ECU.

Makes me think the other one isn't Mi. Could be wrong though. ;)

d-9

This rings a bell vaugely, think ive seen a couple of different types of MI bodies, one defo had weber cast on the side.

davemar

I've just replaced my throttle body with another one as the old one was leaking air out of the worn spindle holes. The old one was a Weber and you could adjust the end stop of the spindle with a screwdriver. The new unit isn't a Weber one and the end stop doesn't appear to be adjustable, however it does have a bleed-through hole with a screw in stopper in it for presumably adjusting the idle. The non-Weber one also feels like the springs are tighter giving a heavier pedal feel.

jackherer
This rings a bell vaugely, think ive seen a couple of different types of MI bodies, one defo had weber cast on the side.

Yes, Weber and the other type is AMC. The differences are fairly minor and both seem to wear fairly badly leading to bad idling.

kyepan
I've just replaced my throttle body with another one as the old one was leaking air out of the worn spindle holes. The old one was a Weber and you could adjust the end stop of the spindle with a screwdriver. The new unit isn't a Weber one and the end stop doesn't appear to be adjustable, however it does have a bleed-through hole with a screw in stopper in it for presumably adjusting the idle. The non-Weber one also feels like the springs are tighter giving a heavier pedal feel.

just out of interest, how can you test for leaks?

sorry for the thread hijack

Mikey S
just out of interest, how can you test for leaks?

sorry for the thread hijack

remove the airfilter and hold your hand or a piece of cardboard over the intake while its idling, it should stall immediately, if it doesnt you got an airleak somewhere.

kyepan
remove the airfilter and hold your hand or a piece of cardboard over the intake while its idling, it should stall immediately, if it doesnt you got an airleak somewhere.

genius.. thanks

also back on topic, i've had two MI's, the first had a very light throttle, the second is very heavy.. must have had different throttles.

Sign in to follow this