• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest shiftyshuffle

Does Halfords Own Brand Oil Filter Incorporate Non-return Valve?

Guest shiftyshuffle

H-reg standard 1.6

Changed my oil&filter recently using a halfords own brand oil filter (I think part code: HOF 302). Not sure which company produces these filters but i assume they are generic and will fit a lot of different cars.

Whilst surfin' the web i found several sites that state only peugeot official oil filters should be used as they incorporate a non-return valve which ensures good oil flow from a cold start-up. The 205 haynes manual also states this.

So what i would like to know is:

Does the halfords generic filter incorporate a non-return valve?

How important is this non-return valve in relation to the long life of an engine?

Is it worth ditching the halfords filter in preference to a peugeot one?

Are there any other manufacturers that produce a 205 oil filter with a non-return valve besides peugeot?

Thanks Rob

Tom Fenton

I recently fitted a FRAM filter, I compared it with a standard Peugeot one I had and it did have the valve in.

For an XU with mechanical lifters (8v) I personally don't think it is as important. For an XU with hydraulic lifters (Mi16 engine) then it is a must.

Miles

Why pay £8.00 from Halfords when a OE one is £5.00>£6.00 retail, Trade is half that price, but on the 8v it doesn;t matter too much as they would have had all sorts fitted in the past

Dream Weaver

You can get the OE ones on Ebay as well for approx £4 each, I bought a few at that price last year.

KRISKARRERA

Halfrauds are a bloody rip off! They never used to be that much though. I bought 10 genuine Pug oil filters from ebay.

richsmells

The nice pug parts man always gives me a free crush washer too :blush:

C_W

I would have said it's not important as I've never used an OE filter, getting them for £1.50+vat from Maccess.

GLPoomobile
The nice pug parts man always gives me a free crush washer too :blush:

Maybe he has a crush on you. :)

BOOM BOOM!

Beastie

In practise I tend to follow Miles' philosophy. However AFAIK the facts are as follows: There are only a handful of filter paper manufacturers in the world who supply to most filter manufacturers, therefore the quality of a filter assembly depends upon: The number of pleats in the paper (defining the total area of filter paper in the filter), the presence and the quality of relief valves and anti drain valves and the strength of the casing.

Cheaply made filters (Champion being a prime example) have considerably less pleats in the paper so that less paper is included in the filter.

Some cheap filters come without anti drain and relief valves when they are specified and others have poorly manufactured valves.

Some filters have wafer thin casings in order to save material for cost and environmental reasons. This isn't the preserve of budget manufacturers - for example genuine Jaguar oil filters have incredibly thin cases.

The filters which tend to come out best in independent tests over the years are Fram, Cooper and Motaquip. As I am aware Motaquip is a brand name of PSA (Peugeot Citroen) anyway.

welshpug

Fram + Cooper (one other which I fail to remember) are part of the sogefi filtration group, their filters are Manufactured in Llantrisant down the road from me.

PSA Filters are made by Purflux in france, I think they are a Motaquip brand :unsure:

some random information I thought may be of interest :lol:

RonnieG

I agree with most of the previous posts and always use the genuine filter in all cars for perceived filter quality / drain back valve points. I also thinks it tells a tale when buying a car if someone has spent that wee bit extra.....

Especially as the genuine original equipment Purflx ones are only about £3 out of GSF Car Parts.

mos
I would have said it's not important as I've never used an OE filter, getting them for £1.50+vat from Maccess.

i get them maccess aswell, i think they are usually fram filters from there if memory serves.

i have never has a problem with them and i know plenty in the motor trade in the manchester area who use/rate them. but if someone in the know does condemn them, then i will be off to pug at only £4 a go, not worth risking it for the sake of £3.

mark

Sign in to follow this