• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
number2301

Strange Oil Pressure Problem...

number2301

I was driving home today and the oil pressure suddenly dropped, the warning light on the oil pressure gauge lit up and the coolant temperature warning light lit up whilst making a slow left hand turn. This happened about twice on the way home, but the main stop light never came on, and each time it went back to normal after half a second.

I've also noticed a knocking when I make a slow left turn recently, since I sheared the passenger side top mount nut.

Do these sound like they could be connected? Is the gauge issue most likely just dodgy wiring? If so where do I start to fix it?

I've got a long weekend coming up on friday when I'll be going over the suspension and the car won't be driven until then so I was just hoping for an idea where to look then.

Rob Turbo

First thing to check is the obvious, is there plenty oil in?

And do you mean the suspension top mount nut? I can't see why this would cause any problems unless you disturbed something while fixing it. It is a possibility that it's just a wiring fault, check the loom wherever wires are close to metal to make sure the wire covers are all intact.

IIRC the oil pressure switch is wired up to the coolant light, oil light and stop light, so I don't know why the stop light didn't come on!

number2301

Had a word with a mate tonight, he said to check if the stop light comes on when I turn the ignition on so I'll be checking that tomorrow alongside the oil level ;)

number2301

Sorted it with a few litres of oil. That's another one to put in the monumentally stupid pile :)