• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DamirGTI

Modified Engine Swap Dilemma

DamirGTI

Hi !

Something is bugging me for a last few days , I've bough on more car which is in fair better state (bodywork) then the car which I'm driving currently , but in this one i have rebuilt and modified engine (ported head , high CR etc.) so i want to swap the engines..

Anyhow i was wandering what will happened with the ignition timing if i fit this modified engine inside that other new car as it has an Motronic engine management ? (I'm running this engine now in my old car on Jetronic and “H&H Ignition Solutions” modified dizzy to suit the engine specs ..) , will it loose power or something else when connected to Motronic system because of different ignition timing control ?

Thanks ! :ph34r:

Damir

welshpug

motronic control of the ignition timing is far superior to jetronic distributorl, is it coilpack equipped?

DamirGTI

Hi !

No , it has dizzy but without anything inside :wub: - empty dizzy :ph34r: no springs no bob weights no pick up coil no nothing inside , just the shaft and the rotor arm :lol:

I've never had motronic car so this is something new to me :lol:

Thanks ! :lol:

Damir

welshpug

aaah like 1.9 Mi16 management then, ecu controlled advance.

stick with it I reckon, what engine does the new car have?

DamirGTI

Yes , ECU controlled ignition :ph34r: it's an 1.9 DKZ (late '90year Cat. engine) , and my modified engine is '87year 1.9 D6B .

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

cybernck

i wouldn't mix them really... DKZ engine has lower c/r and milder camshaft and your D6B is modified on top of that!

DamirGTI

Hi !

Ok. but what should i do then :huh: which engine management is better solution for 11.1 CR engine Jetronic or Motronic ?!

The thing is , this D6B engine is freshly rebuilt (and modified also) and the other DKZ engine is in unknown state to me so me thinks that it'll be shame to ditch this D6B engine and stick with DKZ one , as i really must dismantle my old Ph1 car because it's rusted badly :D and i don't want this modified engine inside my garage collecting dust -_-

I have solution for adjusting the air/fuel ratio , but it's the ignition timing control thats worries me :) as being an ECU controlled i know that it can't be adjusted/modified easily on DIY basis like the old dizzy system :D

Anyone running high CR engine on standard Motronic engine management ?

Thanks ! :)

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

welshpug

do you know if anyone near you can remap it?

DamirGTI

No :) unfortunately in my country this is a bit hard as we have just a few (2-3 as far as i know) dyno/rolling road workshops , and their knowledge is questionable as they mainly do chip tuning and power measuring and thats it :D (CyNick knows what I'm talking..)

This business is just in the beginnings over here , so it's the quality :huh: to be honest I'm scared to death to take the car to any of these workshops as i know that they will do -> s***t and rip me off .. I've been talking with one guy which have dyno workshop near me and he straight recommended fitting an Dastek Unchip (for xy/ouch madness price :D ), so much for hes experience , he just want the money not the job well done -_-

Damir :)

Sign in to follow this