• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JimLad

Fast Idle

JimLad

Read loads of idle related posts but none that seem quite the same as the problem my 89 1.6 GTi has. When it's cold it idles spot on but when warm after driving it idles at 2000rpm. If you then turn it off and start it again it will idle at about 1000 but as soon as you move it the idle goes back to 2k!

Tried to test the sad by kinking the hose or clamping it with mole grips. Didn't seem to have any effect at first untill I got the mole grips really tight then the revs did drop. Tried it again and nothing happened! Also tried adjusting the idle speed by winding the screw in. Only had an effect when I wound it right in and when I tried to repeat it it didn't have any effect!

Recently put a new ecu temp sensor on to cure horrendous fuel consumption so should be able to rule that out.

Any clues what's going on?!

Thanks

simonb

TPS switch can sometimes stick, causing the throttle to stick open a little. try running with the switch off and put it back on if it's any better. Failing that, is the throttle cable sticking or is the throttle stop screw in too far?

Edited by simonb

JimLad
TPS switch can sometimes stick, causing the throttle to stick open a little. try running with the switch off and put it back on if it's any better. Failing that, is the throttle cable sticking or is the throttle stop screw in too far?

Thinking about it the throttle stop screw was a bit narled up so has obviously been messed about with. Will give that a try.

Cheers :o

Rob_the_Sparky

Probably have a SAD issue as well though if you are running faster hot than cold. The SAD is a very crude device and often cause problem.

Poor idle is also caused by poor ignition timing (generally retarded), running 95 RON in a 1.9 (requires timing to be retarded) and rich idle mixtures.

Rob

P.S. If you have hit the limit with the idle adjust screw then it is vey likely that the throttle end stop is in the wrong place...

JimLad

Thanks for the advise. Guess I should take SAD off and check it properly on a battery. Getting mixture and ignition timing set tomorrow so will be able to rule them out as well.

Sign in to follow this